PDA

View Full Version : Short Ram intake in Winter Season???

jojo208
01-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Hi guys,

Is it ok to use my short ram intake in a cold winter weather like you see in the picture??? I have ebay short ram with k&n upgraded filter. AEM shortram replica. Cheaper solution for me. ANyway.....

http://www.hostgrip.net/images/idaho-winter.jpg

I need help if any of you outhere using it in the same kind of weather. The picture attached is where I live. I know it's hard to see the road but i go to work like that everyday in nampa, idaho. It snows almost everyday, get melted around noon up to 5pm or something, and snowing again during the night.

Is it ok also to run this short ram in a normal rain condition??? Just affraid to get that engine lockout......

WHat do you think guys??? Help me please!!!

the JigGa mAn
01-01-2004, 06:55 PM
short rams dont really have a problem with engine lockout

Slip_Angle
01-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Naa, shouldn't be a problem. I too live in a snow covered city and use an SRI. Lets think worst case here. You hit a big snow drift and the snow sprays up under your hood all over your intake. First, since it's frozen water it will have to make it through the filter, which would be pretty hard, then it will have to melt and make it all the way into the engines cylinders in a relatively large quantity... Very unlikely.

denmah
01-01-2004, 07:02 PM
not to mention that a intake has to be completely immersed in water to suck up water. air is less dense and if you take a intake and stick it in water it will still suck air, until it is completely under....

k20whiteboi269
01-01-2004, 07:06 PM
you will be fine with your short ram intake. from what i have heard the filter almost has to be submerged in water to suck up enough to hydrolock.

i live in michigan and it snows almost every day. im still running my aem cai. i should change and buy some 25.00 sri but been to lazy.

does anyone know if it is harmfull to run cai in winter because of the extremely cold air?? some days it is like 5 degrees here and i thought i seen a post on this but couldnt find it;)

Peking
01-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Colder the better :) To bad the downside is the condition of the roads :(

Zero Three Si
01-01-2004, 09:55 PM
The setup on all the SRI's I've seen have the filter right in the exact same spot as the stock air box. I can't foresee any way of snow making it THAT far inside the engine if the hood is closed.

Civicvtec1ps
01-01-2004, 10:00 PM
You will be just fine.Dont worry about it,