PDA

View Full Version : Whats worth more??

KingGreg86
01-01-2004, 07:04 PM
What would be better for the cash and lowest maintenance?

BlasTech
01-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Considering you can sell your A3 and recover some $, and then always add FI later, I would say the A2/6speed is the best bang-for-buck mod of the three. But it would be a pretty complicated install compared to the JRSC.

TrippZ
01-01-2004, 07:18 PM
im gonna say the k20a with a 6 speed tranny, however, if you mean actual K20A form an ITR, the installations gonna be kinda assy. however, youll be able to sell your a3, like blastech said, and recover some money. youll also have a good base HP in case you want to add FI later. just add in some lower compression components, because to my understanding the A compression is rather high. :)

Vertigo
01-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Another one for K20a/6 speed. A better building block if you decide to bolt-on forced induction. Or keep it all motor build the piss out of it and keep reliabilty.

Peking
01-01-2004, 08:13 PM
For the newbie tuner Jackson Racing Supercharger would be the easiest. Install, upkeep, and overall cost. The k20a/6speed is a great upgrade, but I am getting the feeling that you asked your question for something that will give you an edge (and some props), without having to put to much thought into it. The swaps will cost more (purchase, and install), but well worth it (I would imagine). Then again for you, the easiest and low maintenance would be the Jackson Racing. Down the road you could also upgrade.

I would also recommend that you do as much research on all these items. Understanding each in their own right, will help you the best in deciding what you think is best.

TheMutt
01-01-2004, 10:07 PM
A picked the k20a just from the title and then i read the first post on maintenence and cost. I see a3's on ebay all the time never really selling and I dunno who really wants to buy our motor... we're all trying to get rid of it. But I saw the JRSC is the better choice now that I read.

K20a: -1
JRSC: +1

Peking
01-01-2004, 10:18 PM
I saw Adam trying to get rid of his on clubrsx. No luck :( He was hoping that someone would have ruined their motor, and could use his.

mental
01-01-2004, 10:23 PM
well its not to cheap... however nothing beats a good turbo setup!!! NOTHING!!! get a small turbo kit say greddy add a front mount and some bigger wheels new clutch and stickier tires and have some fun with some camaros and such at low boost... then as time goes on build the internals(which youll have to do with any boosted motor)and run more boost! and just as a quick fact most hondas can handle upto 1000hp on stock crankshaft... anyone that wants to dispute that fact can give JOTEK motorsports in garland texas a call they run stock crankshaft in thier 8 second race car, and as well call Honda Heaven in arlington texas ask the owner alan what he runs on his 10.80-1/4 mile civic... its true boosting can hurt internals drastically but you just cant beat boost, and its really not as expensive as you would think you just gotta do some research and know what the hell your talking about! STUPID POWER IS NOT SOMETHING YOU CAN GET IF YOUR LOW ON MONEY(or unless you have a Supra) if you want to got fast and dont care how, you better have the bucks to have someone who knows how to tune, tune for you... on the other hand if its low budget, go fast, and easy, then your best bet is turbo and while its turbo do some research and figure out what internals you want next and when you get done youll be alot smarter and alot faster!!! oh and one more thing.... this shits IMO

silver
01-06-2004, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by mental
well its not to cheap... however nothing beats a good turbo setup!!! NOTHING!!! get a small turbo kit say greddy add a front mount and some bigger wheels new clutch and stickier tires and have some fun with some camaros and such at low boost... then as time goes on build the internals(which youll have to do with any boosted motor)and run more boost! and just as a quick fact most hondas can handle upto 1000hp on stock crankshaft... anyone that wants to dispute that fact can give JOTEK motorsports in garland texas a call they run stock crankshaft in thier 8 second race car, and as well call Honda Heaven in arlington texas ask the owner alan what he runs on his 10.80-1/4 mile civic... its true boosting can hurt internals drastically but you just cant beat boost, and its really not as expensive as you would think you just gotta do some research and know what the hell your talking about! STUPID POWER IS NOT SOMETHING YOU CAN GET IF YOUR LOW ON MONEY(or unless you have a Supra) if you want to got fast and dont care how, you better have the bucks to have someone who knows how to tune, tune for you... on the other hand if its low budget, go fast, and easy, then your best bet is turbo and while its turbo do some research and figure out what internals you want next and when you get done youll be alot smarter and alot faster!!! oh and one more thing.... this shits IMO

um...okay fi is not cheap if done right, only if you want to blow your motor sooner than later. and you contradicted yourself like 4x in that statement...anyways

any fi would require maintenance, a sc vs. turbo is the same maintenance, your doing the same thing just a different means to the same end. proper cooling and lubrication is very important as well as maintenance of the motor due to the higher stress and heat. yes the sc is technically a bolt on, but if you think you'd just bolt it up and go for 60k miles, think again. if done correctly the 6spd/a2 idea would be the least maint, but the cheapest would likely be the greddy turbo kit if pricing just on the kits alone compared to the jrsc.

best thing for a newbie tuner, a book that explains how an internal combustion motor works. then what the differences between a supercharger and turbo is plus what they do. after having a good grasp, you'll be able to come to the understanding yourself without dropping several thousand on something that someone told you would be a good idea.

KeNnYtAkEr
01-15-2004, 08:38 AM
I think forced induction to any N/A engine isn't to great. so hands down the full swap is best. just my 2 cents