PDA

View Full Version : stripped bolt help

DoMahMeGok
01-02-2004, 05:34 PM
I was trying to take out the sway bar the other day when I noticed the bolt you have to stick the allen wrench in was like stripped down. Now I never tried to take it off before but when I put in the allen it wouldnt grip and I wasn't able to take out the bolt. What should I do? This is the bolt that connects the sway bar to the endlinks(are they endlinks?) I was wondering if I could just cut that bolt off and buy a new bolt for it or would that not work? Please help

Peking
01-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by DoMahMeGok
I was trying to take out the sway bar the other day when I noticed the bolt you have to stick the allen wrench in was like stripped down. Now I never tried to take it off before but when I put in the allen it wouldnt grip and I wasn't able to take out the bolt. What should I do? This is the bolt that connects the sway bar to the endlinks(are they endlinks?) I was wondering if I could just cut that bolt off and buy a new bolt for it or would that not work? Please help

First check out this thread...http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26964

Then post back up with your thoughts.

DoMahMeGok
01-12-2004, 08:51 PM
A hex wrench is an allen wrench right? Because that is what I used in trying to remove the bolt from the endlink. The allen wrench 5mm I used had no leverage at all and I couldn't get it to grip the bolt and was unsuccessful in getting it off. Please give me some thoguhts
thanks

tom3
01-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Click Here (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26863) for another thread discussing this topic. (how I worked around the stripped bolt)

DoMahMeGok
01-13-2004, 12:11 AM
thanks for the info i might try that sanding technique

styllinep3
01-15-2004, 06:37 PM
here i just posted this in another thread, it worked great . just wish i didnt break the fucker. oh and take off your endlinks before you take off the chassi brackets. it will hold thebar in place while you fight the endlinks. i didnt do this and broke one of mine bad.

here my repost
dont feel bad guys. i not only stripped them out, but broke the passenger side right off. i seprated the part with the four little grey pins. i stuck it back on, and seems to be holding for now but, i dont think it will hold long. thats another 40 bucks. i found a solution for the vice grips though. dont grab the bolt . grab the ring washer on the back side of the sway . that worked perfect after i broke the fucker, and had it out from under the car in front of me . anyway after all the frustration im very pleased with my new dcr 5 type r rear sway. much stiffer , no understeer, and no body roll.

styllinep3
01-15-2004, 08:06 PM
hell yeah after some hard searching i found these babies. you get 2 for the price of one stock honda endlink, and just by looking at them u an tell they are twice as meaty, and stronger. they will imrpove the bar itself, and much easy to install. i will be ordering these tomm. i will let everyone know how they are.

heres the link you have to join 7thgen site to see the thread.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102971

Zero Three Si
01-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Are you sure you are using 5mm allen wrench?

You're using METRIC and not standard right? I'm not being a smart ass...just double checking your work.:)

STEP BY STEP INSTALLATION (http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP3_S_SWAYBAR_R)

styllinep3
01-15-2004, 08:58 PM
no man, i hear you it was a 5mm hex wrench . i did this in my friends shop. i had everything i needed all the tools , a lift, everything. in fact the 5mm hex was on a socket head. couldnt have been any nicer.
honda just made shitty endlinks. everyone else on 7thgen says they have the same problem with them stripping. they are just junk, and they want 40$ for another. im replacing them with the ones in my privous post. oh by thye way they are adjustable

icegrill
01-15-2004, 09:56 PM
okay so i'm going to install my H&R sway this weekend, I bought a crowfoot 14mm socet to use on the endlink. From my understading all you are doing with the allen wrench is keeping the stud from spinning when you're taking off the 14mm nuts. Is this correct? Thanks

styllinep3
01-16-2004, 07:25 AM
yup, but much easier said then done. i thought the same thing. surprise! the allen head on the bolt strips so easliy its sick. if that doesnt work get yourslef some needle nose vice grips, grab the wahser on the back side of the sway bar, not the bolt its self. oh and lots of wd40

gabe