PDA

View Full Version : Sad day today...

k20hatch
09-21-2002, 02:43 PM
Well...my ep hatch is sitting in the honda dealer ship garage...I had problems with the busings in the gears going bad.. The guy at the honda place said it was common...I got it back yesterday and todayi was at a car show and went to pull away and it got stuck in 1st...and just grindeedddd....Its so sad!!

HAS ANYONE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THERE EP'S IN HERE AND IF SO TELL ME WHAT KINDA PROBLEMS....IM ASKING FOR HONDA!!!????

:confused:

02SilverSiHB
09-21-2002, 03:40 PM
damn! no problems at all for me....I have 3800 miles

IceD out N CALI
09-21-2002, 03:58 PM
except for the weather stripping on driver window no problems here either

snubnose
09-21-2002, 05:02 PM
No problems.

02blksi
09-21-2002, 05:08 PM
not a one, and rarely see's anything less than 5k rpm :) --joe

civic hatch boi
09-21-2002, 05:09 PM
damn i wish i coudl do that spoon.. i drive her easy and she still doesnt' give me decent mileage. :( im half way down the meter and i only have like 90 miles :( so i guess ill get another 180/tank this time.

punkdork
09-21-2002, 07:50 PM
I dunno, sometimes my car has trouble getting into gear. I think I need to work on double clutching or rev-matching at least. I had issues with my passenger side window not rolling down all the way either. They had to replace the regulator. Other than that she's been a peach.

HondaMan
09-21-2002, 09:21 PM
All good here.

2k2civicSi
09-21-2002, 09:36 PM
my syncros are bad but thats it but its a kinda big thing you know

iHeartOxycotin
09-21-2002, 10:04 PM
my problem is i've got some pretty huge wheel gap, you know? i mean these stock springs and shocks they gotta go. other than that i'm pretty good :p

NamingException
09-21-2002, 11:10 PM
I've had a lot of the not-really-problems that everyone else has had- the rear bumper not fitting perfectly, the overhead light randomly coming on when the doors are closed, stuff like that. One thing that I don't like that I don't think anyone else has mentioned is that the housing that the steering wheel is attatched to seems to be coming apart slightly. I might put a little dab of superglue or something in there to hold it together better. All these issues are so slight, most of them probably wouldn't even be noticed by the average purchaser of an EX. Still, I wonder about how the quality control of the British plant compares to others.

CleanBlackSi02
09-22-2002, 09:13 AM
No problems.....cept for that ride height. Maybe a couple rattles, but certainly nothing major.

esmith13
09-22-2002, 09:44 AM
I ocassionally can't shift from 3rd to 4th. Clutch is all the way down and I pull down on the shifter and it stops a hare below neutral, like I hit the shift lock when you try to get into 1st too fast. I have to double clutch when this happens to get into 4th gear...

Gonna ask honda tomorrow when I get my tires rotated/oil change.

Aside from that, my weatherstripping ripped out while rollin up the windows on both sides -- had the seals replaced twice and one window motor once due to a burnout from getting caught on the seal...

I have 10,500mi. on my ep.

CleanBlackSi02
09-22-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by esmith13
I ocassionally can't shift from 3rd to 4th. Clutch is all the way down and I pull down on the shifter and it stops a hare below neutral, like I hit the shift lock when you try to get into 1st too fast. I have to double clutch when this happens to get into 4th gear...

Aside from that, my weatherstripping ripped out while rollin up the windows on both sides -- had the seals replaced twice and one window motor once due to a burnout from getting caught on the seal...

I've had the same problem....it was most noticeable at the track....I've gotta shift in the last 20 feet of the 1320 (and it often doesen't engage)....ruins my times!!

esmith13
09-22-2002, 09:57 AM

esmith13
09-22-2002, 09:59 AM
sorry... used the back button too much, it reposted my comment....:(

esmith13
09-22-2002, 10:00 AM
Now that I think about it.... It only happens to me when I'm drivin' hard....

Intresting......

Any Honda Techies have an idea what's up here???

joneSi
09-22-2002, 02:15 PM
hey, me too!!!! I thought I sucked at shifting the car...let me know what they say, maybe mine needs to go to the honda doc.

joneSi

k20hatch
09-22-2002, 02:28 PM
Hey guys i just talked to Honda...they said everyone needs to report the problems with the gears!! That its happening alot!! and they need to know how many Si's are having the problems...theres about 3 where i live in the shop for the same thing!

sonic imperial
09-23-2002, 08:01 AM
This may sound silly but does anyone think that all the shifting/gear problems are a result of the dash mounted (new design)? Do the other civics (2001 and up) have these problems?

esmith13
09-24-2002, 07:19 AM
I asked my dealer that very question -- but they had not even heard of the Si having that problem....

I agree, it's a possibility, but how hard can it really be to go from 3rd straight down to 4th incorrectly?? The springy resistance that forces the shifter back to a central neutral position practly ensures a perfect shift from 3rd to 4th.

...Even if you DID angle off to the side you would most likely have felt the tension and known what you did wrong.

Besides, in my case, it happened late one night on the highway with no other traffic, so I ran a test....

When it 'froze' trying to get into 4th - I did not move or let go of the shifter...
I held it in place where it froze and took my foot off the clutch completely (the shifter froze in neutral) and pushed down on the clutch again and the constant yet slight pressare I had been applying pulled it down into 4th.

It litterally was like the shift lock going from 2nd to 1st over 10mph. I would not go like a little gate closed off the channel and when I went off and on the clutch again it reset and opened up the channel to shift into.

Exactly like what you would have to do to get into 1st gear at over 10mph!!

Sounds crazy, but it is happening to too many people on this board for us all to be screwing up something IMO.

MoodySi
09-24-2002, 09:20 AM
I've had some trouble getting into reverse, but otherwise the other gears work just fine.

CleanBlackSi02
09-24-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by MoodySi
I've had some trouble getting into reverse, but otherwise the other gears work just fine.

I thought it was the shifter position at first.....now I'm beginning to think otherwise.

MPgrunt81
09-24-2002, 11:43 AM
I keep having it grind when I'm shifting down into second. I push the clutch in and pull down and it sounds like the transmission is going to fall out. It grinds really bad. This only happens during hard acceleration and not to often.

sonic imperial
09-24-2002, 12:43 PM
I feel/hear a clunk when shifting from 1st to 2nd, almost every single time. My clutch is fully pressed down too. I have no idea why it does this and so far I can't seem to make it shift any better.

k20hatch
09-25-2002, 07:40 PM
I turned this post into Honda today...i think they will enjoy it...:-)

1fastminivan
09-25-2002, 08:54 PM
Yeah mine is now also grinding third a little??? I guess its time to take it in. This is gonna suck cuz I hate Rental Cars.:mad:

grooveline
09-25-2002, 09:03 PM
I haven't noticed the stoppage between 3rd and 4th driving. But I have noticed that sometimes when driving briskly, it will sometimes feel like its jumping out of 2nd gear. also, I have noticed that it sometimes take two or three trys to get it in reverse......

anybody else gettin this?

ArcticBlueRsx
09-26-2002, 09:55 PM
if the grinding still occurs when shifting into gears even w/ clutch fully depressed...that means your synchros have somehow gone bad...take it in and get it checked...and they should replace the gears w/ the bad synchros....