PDA

View Full Version : Phase Two: RSX-S Conversion. 1/02/04.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Well, the K20A2/6-speed swap was completed on January 2, 2004.
The whole process was very straight forward and took less than 1 day.

The car is running perfect and the difference is night and day.
Top end from 6000-8000rpm is an animal.
Low end torque is also greatly improved.
I can accelerate hard even in 4th gear at 2500rpm.

While everything was out, ClutchMaster's stage 3 clutch was installed, stock flywheel resurfaced, and installed ES motor mounts. Still using the "AEM" Cold Air intake.

I'm very satisfied with the swap.
I'll see what it's capable of at the track this or next sunday.

---Adam---

02civicSI
01-05-2004, 06:45 PM
this is soundin good adam. cant wait to hear the updates.

k20hatch
01-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Awwwww man its killing me!!! Must see pics must see pics!! But ya thats awsome man!! Congrats on the swap...well all the swaps!!! :D

Zero Three Si
01-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Make sure you scan a photo of your time slips...

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by k20hatch
Awwwww man its killing me!!! Must see pics must see pics!! But ya thats awsome man!! Congrats on the swap...well all the swaps!!! :D

Pic just for you!

k20hatch
01-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
Pic just for you!

You shouldnt have...;) Looking good man!

myeverlovinsir
01-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Got a sortof obvious question. When you swap to the A2, what do you do with the power steering pump? My guess is that you can remove it and swap out the belt cause the A2 ECU still handles the EPS. Confirmation please.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-05-2004, 07:25 PM
ps pump is tossed,
EPS retained.

correct.

SiR_d1
01-05-2004, 07:39 PM
comin along nice:cool:

STP03BlueSI
01-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Damn!!lookin good

siver-SI
01-05-2004, 09:58 PM
ps pump is tossed,
EPS retained.

correct.

Just wondering then when you need to replace a belt will it be a A2 belt or a A3 belt. Or is this a dumb question because they are the same part number?

seattlecivic
01-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Okay, is it legal for you to put in the K20A2 and does it require higher octane? I'm not sure :-)

DavidT
01-05-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by seattlecivic
Okay, is it legal for you to put in the K20A2 and does it require higher octane? I'm not sure :-)

Is it legal? Not in Ca unless you get it ref'd but no one has to know ;) Does it require higher octane? Yes, Premium fuel only.

Black 02 SI
01-05-2004, 11:24 PM
you def need to have that thing runnin on the right ecu by the 18th. i can't wait this is going to be fun, i want to race ya to see how i compare. i would hope you can get better than mid 14's with that setup, you have 40hp more than me and i ran a 14.8 if i like it, you might be getting hired by me to help with my install :) except i want to go all out and get the type r.

JaYdEeEm
01-06-2004, 12:30 AM
wow congrats adam, swap came out real clean.

styllinep3
01-06-2004, 05:38 AM
nice ill be at atco adam and, cant wait to see u run that thing down the stip congrats and good luck.

StrangeShadow
01-06-2004, 07:49 AM
sweet man! :)

fsugatorbait
01-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Nice, cant wait to see it at ATCO. this is gonna be some fun. :D

EDIT: Adam, any luck selling your A3 motor?

esmith13
01-06-2004, 08:11 AM
SWEET DUDE!! Congrats!!

You HAVE to have it running right for the 18th!! Now I HAVE to go to ATCO! I wanna see that beast tear down the track!! :D

Eric

StrangeShadow
01-06-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
EDIT: Adam, any luck selling your A3 motor?
last I heard, it was on ebay, going for twice what he paid for the a2. :eek:

fsugatorbait
01-06-2004, 09:57 AM
dayuumn, i wish i could find some shit to step in. :)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-06-2004, 10:39 AM
UPDATE:
Going to get my RSX-S ECU installed today around 5:30PM...
Took off work just to get it done...
Will post details later...

Oh yea...The A3 sold on ebay for $2g's...
Dude paid me immediately and picked it up the next day...
Coolest part is that it's not going into a Honda...
He built a custom street rod from scratch and is putting the engine in that...
It's light as hell so it would probably haul with 160 horses...
He's gonna send me pics when he's done!

fsugatorbait
01-06-2004, 11:40 AM
UPDATE:
Going to get my RSX-S ECU installed today around 5:30PM...
Took off work just to get it done...
Will post details later...

Oh yea...The A3 sold on ebay for $2g's...
Dude paid me immediately and picked it up the next day...
Coolest part is that it's not going into a Honda...
He built a custom street rod from scratch and is putting the engine in that...
It's light as hell so it would probably haul with 160 horses...
He's gonna send me pics when he's done!

you lucky son of a gun, got a type s swap and 5 lug conversion and made about a grand.
How bout a ride at ATCO?;)

1FSTEP3
01-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Did you do the swap yourself? Or did you have a shop do it?

oogy-boogy
01-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Damn...Now I'm not sure about ATCO.....ugh...I want to go...:(

fsugatorbait
01-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by oogy-boogy
Damn...Now I'm not sure about ATCO.....ugh...I want to go...:(

just go you big wussie ;)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by 1FSTEP3
Did you do the swap yourself? Or did you have a shop do it?

I had my friend/mechanic Pete do the install. I would've loved to at least help him but my work schedule didn't coincide w/ when he had time to do it.

StrangeShadow
01-06-2004, 02:37 PM
that's cool, if I had a friend that would work on my car for me I wouldn't stop him haha:D ;)

anjapower
01-06-2004, 04:10 PM
alright u bastard, tell us how it is. I want a swap:(

DavidT
01-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Adam, you owe us a video of your EP in action once you get your ECU in. I want gauge shots at WOT from start to 3rd gear, sound effects and all! Make it under 5 megs so it's 56k friendly. I'll be your best friend!!! :D

myeverlovinsir
01-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Thought I'd put this up.
Here is a good pic of the pulley comparison for the A2 vs A3.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0212scc_civichybrid04_zoom.jpg

Where the Si engine (on the right) has an idler pulley, the RSX engine (on the left) has a conventional power steering pump. Fortunately, the Si's idler pulley simply bolts onto the RSX engine.;)

myeverlovinsir
01-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Thought I'd put this up too. Adam, it's your swap but pics make it so much easier, hope you don't mind?

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0212scc_civichybrid02_zoom.jpg

The Si shifter cables hook to the RSX transmission without modification. The shift mechanism, however, isn't designed to move far enough to reach the six-speed's reverse gear. Putting a notch here, as shown, allows you to reach reverse.;)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-06-2004, 06:18 PM
:D

myeverlovinsir
01-06-2004, 06:36 PM
I had the same problem with getting mine flashed, yeah they are only good for one day, but they should be able to retrive a new iN code for you. I had to call into Canada to try to get a dealer when they were out on holidays.

StrangeShadow
01-06-2004, 08:59 PM
I'm now thoroughly upset.
I drive all the way out to east bumblefuck again to get my ECU programmed and it turns out the immobilizer code i got from acura yesterday is only good for 1 day.
So now i'll have to make the trip out there for the 3rd time.
Probably Thursday.
:( :mad: :( :mad:
dude! throw some bricks at those fags! you lost money taking a day off to get that done just so they could screw up!:mad:

ep_jee
01-06-2004, 10:19 PM
good job on the swap man. how much $ did it run you?

StrangeShadow
01-07-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by ep_jee
good job on the swap man. how much $ did it run you?
he got paid a G to do the swap!!!
Adam: what else is needed besides the hubs/rotors/calipers/pads/brake lines to do the 5lug convo?

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-07-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by StrangeShadow
dude! throw some bricks at those fags! you lost money taking a day off to get that done just so they could screw up!:mad:

nah it's not his fault.
he told me he thinks the code's only good for a day, i couldnt see how that was possible...now i know it is...haha...
won't make that mistake again.
we tried calling an acura dealership in CA since it was already 7PM EST, but they wouldnt give it out over the phone.

my only guess is that somehow the ecu is programmed from the factory to change codes every day, my question is, how can that be since it's been disconnected for over a week w/ no power, how does the ECU know what day it is? must have some type of battery built in? ahhhh i have no fuggin idea! sometimes, technology SUCKS!

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-07-2004, 07:23 AM
[SIZE=4]
Adam: what else is needed besides the hubs/rotors/calipers/pads/brake lines to do the 5lug convo?

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14673&highlight=RSX+lug+conversion

StrangeShadow
01-07-2004, 07:28 AM
sweet, thanks.

K-Series
01-07-2004, 07:35 AM
nah it's not his fault.
he told me he thinks the code's only good for a day, i couldnt see how that was possible...now i know it is...haha...
won't make that mistake again.
we tried calling an acura dealership in CA since it was already 7PM EST, but they wouldnt give it out over the phone.

my only guess is that somehow the ecu is programmed from the factory to change codes every day, my question is, how can that be since it's been disconnected for over a week w/ no power, how does the ECU know what day it is? must have some type of battery built in? ahhhh i have no fuggin idea! sometimes, technology SUCKS!

I'm sure it has an internal battery/clock. Just like computer motherboards.

Steve

StrangeShadow
01-07-2004, 07:45 AM
I would think they would be able to program a new code into the ecu, once you show that you actually bought the engine. That sucks though, hope you get it worked out soon.

fsugatorbait
01-07-2004, 08:01 AM
I would think they would be able to program a new code into the ecu, once you show that you actually bought the engine. That sucks though, hope you get it worked out soon.

they will, the reason he had problems it that the code is only good for a day.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-08-2004, 06:07 PM
FINALLY!!!!!!!! ECU IS INSTALLED!!!!!!!!
My GOD, the car is an entirely different animal.
The pull when VTEC kicks in from 6k to 8k is unreal.
I havent hit fuel cut yet, been up to about 8100rpm indicated.
Low end is also GREATLY improved...it pulls even at 2.5k in a hi gear.
Can't wait to hit up Atco on the 18th.
I might even have to go THIS sunday if possible.

DavidT
01-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Video? :D

EP3_DC5
01-08-2004, 06:28 PM
FINALLY!!!!!!!! ECU IS INSTALLED!!!!!!!!
My GOD, the car is an entirely different animal.
The pull when VTEC kicks in from 6k to 8k is unreal.
I havent hit fuel cut yet, been up to about 8100rpm indicated.
Low end is also GREATLY improved...it pulls even at 2.5k in a hi gear.
Can't wait to hit up Atco on the 18th.
I might even have to go THIS sunday if possible.

Congrats man. Now the myth is gone that the K20A3 has more torque down low. IT DOESN"T. =)
The fuel cut is at 8100. However the stock tach always exaggerates a tad.
If the weather is cool enough and you can hit an absolutely PERFECT launch you might be able to hit mid 14s with your setup, CAI and midpipe right?
In any case I hope you will love the motor as much as the rest of us do. Congrats once again.

02SilverSiHB
01-08-2004, 06:41 PM
man, that is sweet! so tempting. I'm always kind of confused how you have to go about getting a dealership to rekey the car for you...if you have an acura dealership, you can just go there and tell them what's up and they can take care of you? without that one day thing happening?

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-08-2004, 09:03 PM
my mods are: CAI, midpipe, motor mounts, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch...

i should be able to pull a mid 14 pretty easily, but these tires seem to suck about as bad as our stock si michelins...

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by EP3_DC5
Congrats man. Now the myth is gone that the K20A3 has more torque down low. IT DOESN"T. =)
The fuel cut is at 8100. However the stock tach always exaggerates a tad.
If the weather is cool enough and you can hit an absolutely PERFECT launch you might be able to hit mid 14s with your setup, CAI and midpipe right?
In any case I hope you will love the motor as much as the rest of us do. Congrats once again.

A2 definitely has more pull down low, could also have something to do with the gearing of the 6-speed.
A2 midrange feels about the same as the A3 (4k to 6k), everywhere else the A2 rules.

PS: I'll make a video on sunday, but it wont have any sound. I only have a digital camera (not camcorder) and it has a 20 sec video capability but no sound.

EP3_DC5
01-08-2004, 10:45 PM
my mods are: CAI, midpipe, motor mounts, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch...

i should be able to pull a mid 14 pretty easily, but these tires seem to suck about as bad as our stock si michelins...

Hmmmm...... I think that because of the weather, that you might do it. But normally our cars run about 14.7 or around there, and there have been a few that have hit mid 14s, so it is definately possible as long as you get the launches down (those tires suck balls) hahaha.
Anyways, good luck and make sure to make a few vids.

LordKoo
01-08-2004, 11:01 PM
Thought you are broke... still have $$$$ to run that...

Black 02 SI
01-09-2004, 12:38 AM
adam, i have a small gift for you at atco. i picked it up from a friend, and i have no use for it since i do not have a 6 speed ;)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-09-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Black 02 SI
adam, i have a small gift for you at atco. i picked it up from a friend, and i have no use for it since i do not have a 6 speed ;)

thanks bro, but if it's a knob, i just got my DC5-R 6spd knob in the mail last night. I appreciate the thought though! :)

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-09-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by LordKoo
Thought you are broke... still have $$$$ to run that...

I got a RSXS 5 lug conversion and engine swap and MADE money on the deal.
Plus I finally got a job back in Sept. so I'm no longer broke.
:)

sniperSI
01-09-2004, 07:38 AM
I got a RSXS 5 lug conversion and engine swap and MADE money on the deal.
Plus I finally got a job back in Sept. so I'm no longer broke.
:)

See man, life is just a roller coaster, gotta hang in there until the loops are over with. Awesome the way things worked out on everything meng.