PDA

View Full Version : Custom Piping

PoRT
09-21-2002, 03:00 PM
what size piping are u guys running? i am currently only runing a AEM CAI, but i plan to order the APEX N1 and DC header when the N1 comes out. for the time being, i want to goto my local muffler shop and get a pipe ran to bypass my cats and my resonator. i am wondering what size i should go. it wont be mendral bent b/c i dont want to spend a lot of money since i am ordering the N1. this is just temporary, but i do not want to loose horsepower thanks

miamijdm
09-22-2002, 02:39 PM
i went with 2.25 mandrel bent piping.. I also kept the stock muffler... good luck

PoRT
09-22-2002, 09:43 PM
thanks man.. hows it sound?

K20ACTR
09-24-2002, 08:25 PM
MIAMIJDM, how much did you pay for your custom piping? I'm assuming its mandrel bent?

Mr.02BlackSIguY
09-24-2002, 10:13 PM
sorry for asking but whats mandrel bent? im curious

ssvr6
09-25-2002, 04:48 AM
When you go to the muffler shop, they bend the pipe right there for you, that's 'crush' bent. As the bends are made, the interior diameter get's smaller (like a straw).

When you 'Mandrel' bend, there's an insert that doesn't allow the interior dimensions to get smaller. It's like it stretches the piping to fit. It's more expensive but it's the only way to go.

(I'm also curious about your cost for the midpipe.)

Thanks,

Steve

Mr.02BlackSIguY
09-25-2002, 05:43 PM
o i see.. i get what ur talking about. so this pipe connects to ur headers to the end of ur exhaust and can be done at any muffler place?

SpeedRacer
09-25-2002, 05:46 PM
no all muffler shops do not do mandrel bends you have to find specialized places to do it to my understanding

esphatch
09-25-2002, 06:14 PM
Just my 2 cents on piping...
If you have ever actually looked at all the curves and bends on the exhaust, do you actually think the difference between mandrel bent and machine bent piping is going to make a huge difference, depending on the setup you are running under the hood, but so far no...save the extra $$$.

2002Si
09-26-2002, 10:56 AM
Are you guys taking off the Cat and running the mandrel bent from header to muffler, if not would you please explain?

fishboy
09-26-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by esphatch
Just my 2 cents on piping...
If you have ever actually looked at all the curves and bends on the exhaust, do you actually think the difference between mandrel bent and machine bent piping is going to make a huge difference, depending on the setup you are running under the hood, but so far no...save the extra $$$.

yeah, unless you have a turbo or any other FI, you can get away with crushed piping. the thing is alot of us will pay the extra cash for the mandrel bent piping so when we do make the mods later, FI or serious all-motor, we don't have to spring for another set of piping that is mandrel bent. we just want to do it right the first time so we don't have to worry about it later. besides it would just make me feel better to know i have mandrel down there as opposed to crushed. actually, now that i think about it when you go turbo your gonna want 3 inch piping... oh well whatever.

Suk02Si
09-27-2002, 01:40 AM
I heard that going to a 2.50in mid-pipe would cause you to lose power. Is it true? I was going to use 2.5 but am now thinking of using 2.25.