PDA

View Full Version : My Transmission Warranty update "MUST READ TO BELIEVE"

Siman
01-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Oh my god! 2 and a half weeks without my ep were so tough! As many of you may recall, i have struggled with my original Honda dealership Darrell Waltrip Honda in Franklin TN, to fix my grinding and knotchy transmission. 4 Times I made the 30 mile trip to the dealer to show them the problem to say the least they didnt care and did nothing to help my situation. Until i called Ken at Honda USA! He told me to take it to my local dealership 5 miles away and for them to check the problem out, The day i did, my transsmission locked up on me! Talk about a strike of luck! They saw the situation and IMMIDIATLY took action.

To say the least during the week and a half they had my car, my family and I went to california to the rose bowl parade. When i came back they verified my problem and warranty'd it already. They showed me the ticket which listed all the parts they replaced....basically the whole transmissions internals except for 5th gear and its synchros! :eek: They wanted to make sure they took care of the faulty syncros once and for all......As my friend Tommy and I planned this morning, we would go pick my car up and go work out then i would pick my girlfriend up from school and call it a day. TO say the least it went all to plan....they gave me my keys and i made my way 200 ft to the local Shell station for some gas (it was on empty). Got gas and started the car...clutch in...first gear( notchy still!!) gave it 3000 revs and let off the clutch....the car shuttered and nearly stalled. I immediatly made sure i let the parking brake down which i did. I tried again, finally pumping the clutch and getting it going. I called my friend Tommy who had got a head start and arrived at the gym before me. I told him and he said to bring in on down there for him to check it out.......I drove the car, first gear made a diesel like clicking noise from the tranny, and the way i made sure it wasnt the valves i pressed in the cluth and reved it...no noise, so it was the tranny! second gear grinded then popped out on its own. To say the least it did that with EVERY single gear. You could even take it out of gear with your pinky finger at full throttle!!!!!!:eek:

My friend tommy test drove it for 10 minutes or so and then followed me back to Reddell Honda in TN, to say the least they were shocked. The Transmission technicians who diagnosed and worked on my car could not believe what was going on in my tranny. The main tech guy drove my car and after some " I have never in my 20 years" talk agreed it was something more...He told me when he took my tranny apart, he saw the shift forks were worn, and the synchros were too. But the clutch and flywheel were fine. He also said he wouldnt blame me for the problem even if it were worn even morem, Because its an SI, the sport civic that is marketed twords higher performace drivers and it should take "some" abuse on backroads or even a drag or two...yes he really did tell me this, same with the sales guys that agreed with him!

They all were so helpful to my needs they even got me a rental car for free! To say the least they are gonna tear it down and rebuild it again. I will keep you guys posted on my record breaking struggle to get my darn tranny working right heheheh!;)

chubbychu
01-05-2004, 11:47 PM
dang...you got a nice @$$ honda dealer...where is it that you live?

Siman
01-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Here is the BAD dealership that wouldnot help me...HERE (http://www.dwhondavolvo.com/en_US/)

Reddeell Honda is the GOOD one who helped me out, they heard about my hopeless struggle with ole darrell waltrip and took me in on good faith and hope to make me a satisfied customer of theirs...well it worked, kind:confused:

Never the less, i am not mad about my tranny not getting fixed the first time. Like i said infront of 5 tech guys who looked scared and thought I was gonna blow up, I said " its mechanical, what can you do, every one makes mistakes." They basically sighed and thanked me for being so paiteint:D ...You can get alot farther on a good attitude than a bad one;)

STP03BlueSI
01-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Wow...that sucks. sorry to hear about your troubles.:(

02SilverSiHB
01-06-2004, 01:06 PM
dude, I can believe it. Same kind of thing, except first time mine was good to go. Good luck man, maybe they will just replace the whole tranny together..but that will be up to Honda themselves.

STL-EP
01-06-2004, 01:23 PM
you really like the phrase "to say the least", don't you? Perhaps you could use the acronym TSTL ;)

Hope your tranny gets fixed...mine's been notchy as hell in this cold weather, too.

STL-EP

Originally posted by Siman
Oh my god! 2 and a half weeks without my ep were so tough! As many of you may recall, i have struggled with my original Honda dealership Darrell Waltrip Honda in Franklin TN, to fix my grinding and knotchy transmission...

to say the least they didnt care...
To say the least during the week and a half they had my car...
TO say the least it went all to plan....
To say the least it did that with EVERY single gear. ...
to say the least they were shocked.

Btrthnezr3
01-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Damn. That sucks. I hope everything gets fixed the right way. Good luck and good looking out for everybody with the tranny and the dealership experience. :D

ImolaS54
01-06-2004, 03:05 PM
"gave it 3000 revs and let off the clutch" why would u do that on a just rebuilt tranny?

02SilverSiHB
01-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ImolaS54
"gave it 3000 revs and let off the clutch" why would u do that on a just rebuilt tranny?
so true...I took very good care of my baby after it received a new clutch kit from Honda. I never revved it up when changing gears and never really went past 4k rpms

Siman
01-06-2004, 06:01 PM
i didnt really REV it ti 3 grand and dump the dang clutch! Jeez Luise! I was ever so slow with the clutch making sure it was in gear and the clutch pressure was ok. I new something wasnt right when the clutch took pumping to let it disengauge!

Well TSLT (hahahah;) ) i gave a last minute visit to the dealership today and caught Tony, the ultra cool and nice guy whos take care of me. He said that today they made sure it was nothing external causing the NEW failure like a loose tranny or motor mount, or loose shift linkages. He told me that they are probably going to have to replace the NEW synchros and gears and shift forks again because it grinded so heavily! I thanked him again and he thanked me for being SOO patient with them, all i could say again was its only mechanical!:D

I am in good spirits soo it makes their job a little easier, I just try to put myself in their shoes and think what they must think about this crap! There were probably scared they would loose there jobs or loose a dealership "quality workmanship star" or somethin..

Siman
01-08-2004, 10:34 PM
I am getting back my car tommorow FINALLY! I forgot how it drives for goodness sakes! hahaha I get it back after my stupid traffic court for supposedly doing 95 in a 70 in my ford ranger...my speedo goes to 85 and at 70 the truck shakes wildly....I wasnt speeding, I was in a pack of three.....and i was the slowest....you get it....:rolleyes:

02HatchSI
01-09-2004, 05:47 AM
Your lucky... My car was out for 2 months!!!

Mugen Power
01-09-2004, 07:08 AM
I STILL WANT MY TRANNY FIXED. :mad:

Anyone in NJ have their's fixed under warranty? I took mine to 1 dealer in NY and 2 times to one in NJ and they all turned me away... :'(

2.0L Monster
01-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Call customer service, they are the nicest people employed by honda. :D

Mugen Power
01-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Do you mean customer service at Honda HQ or at a dealership?

Graywolf
01-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Is there a Lemon law where you live? In California, if you need your car serviced for the same thing 3 times, they have to give you a brand new one. That may be why they are being so nice the second time around ;)
Also, they cannot sell that vehicle without serious amount of money invested to fix it, which means they lose 2x as much.

Mugen Power
01-09-2004, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure on the details of the lemon law here in NJ but I doubt I would have a case against the dealer since they drove it and said it was fine; BOTH times. If I took it to court or whatever you have to do to put the law into effect, I doubt the judging party would agree in my favor since the dealership workers are "professionals" and I'm just a young guy who they think probably abuses and street races his car.

Graywolf
01-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Right, but what I'm saying is, thats the second time they have worked on your tranny, if they have to do it again, it would be the 3rd time.

Mugen Power
01-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Technically, they didn't work on it or check it out at all. The just drove it and said it was fine, there wasn't a problem, or it's supposed to be like that.

FckdUpPup
01-09-2004, 01:20 PM
What exactly are you feeling in your tranny? Clunky shifts ? Not engaging ? Popping out of gear ? If you are really having a problem go to Staten Island Honda. They take care of you there. That is where I got my car and they were so nice they gave me oil changes for the length of my finance (60 months). They took care of me and my friend who has bought 3 cars from them already. Never a problem with service.

If you want to go there let me know. Maybe I can stop by when you go there. Maybe type X will come too and we can get a meet going at the Honda dealership lol.

Good luck

Doug

Siman
01-09-2004, 08:20 PM
well I was SUPPOSED to get my car back this morning....but the Transmission tech guy tested it after they rebuilt it a SECOND time, and it still made a weird chatter noise...so within an hour, a team dropped the tranny out and took it apart only to find a little o ringlit type spacer that goes to a gear. They are overnighting the part and are going to have a team come in on a Saturday and fix it once and for all! I was like " Dedication" anyone!

Meanwhile I drove a new 2004 Si and I have to say it does feel Slower through the rpms...I guess i used to the intake and exhaust:D
But I think the steering feels alot Stiffer and Tighter, much less the new wheels and revised suspension feel alot toughter! I was very surprised...but i dont dig the new chrome tips on the swivil vents:rolleyes:

I CANT WAIT TO GET MY DARN CAR BACK!!! If they dont fix it the 3rd time......I AM GOING TO GET A NEW ENGINE AND TRANNY COMBO! Or find the parts sheet for a DC5-R parts sheet and tell em to build me that beefy tranny! and also ask for the carbon steel synchros that are in the new s2000 if they would fit?.........Just brainstorming for the future;)

Kis4KEN
01-10-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by 02HatchSI
Your lucky... My car was out for 2 months!!!

2 months?!? thats it?!? i car was in the shop for 4 months!!! click the bottom link of my signature, if you wanna know why. heh