PDA

View Full Version : Can I tow my ATV?

FirstImport02Si
01-06-2004, 01:34 PM
I want to tow my quad around but I don't have a pickup anymore. Think I could put a trailer hitch on my EP and tow a 4X6 trailer with a four-wheeler on it? Would this do damage to the transmission? Anyone have any ideas where to get the hitch? Thanks dudes.

dj addicted
01-06-2004, 01:37 PM
I dont think it would be a problem. I saw a corolla with a toe hitch carrying two jetskis around here a while ago

DavidT
01-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by FirstImport02Si
I want to tow my quad around but I don't have a pickup anymore. Think I could put a trailer hitch on my EP and tow a 4X6 trailer with a four-wheeler on it? Would this do damage to the transmission? Anyone have any ideas where to get the hitch? Thanks dudes.

God no. Did you read the owner's manual? It says no :) No one makes a hitch for a Civic Si. I'm sure you can get a fabrication shop to make you one...but it's still not a good idea.

Peking
01-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
God no. Did you read the owner's manual? It says no :) No one makes a hitch for a Civic Si. I'm sure you can get a fabrication shop to make you one...but it's still not a good idea.

Agreed, I wouldn't do it. Got a friend with a truck?

FirstImport02Si
01-06-2004, 02:02 PM
I don't think I have ever even opened the glove compartment never mind the owners manual but thanks for the info. I guess I won't try it. Maybe I'll just sell it and get a motorcycle instead.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
01-06-2004, 02:03 PM
If you wanna change your clutch every other time you bring out the quad you can use your EP to tow.

FirstImport02Si
01-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
If you wanna change your clutch every other time you bring out the quad you can use your EP to tow.

Driving around the yard sucks. I would just buy another cheapo pickup to haul it around but it would be like another 2g's a year to insure it on top of what my car is. Just for state minimum. My driving record is horrible. I suck at life. I need a cockjob.

andy
01-06-2004, 03:19 PM
My friend has a 4-cylinder accord that we use to haul around
a 3 seater jet ski. No problems.
Heck, even my WRX's manual said not to tow stuff (riiiight). /shrug

DavidT
01-06-2004, 03:56 PM
You guys that think your cars can tow don't understand. Yes, your motor will have plenty of power to tow the quad and 4x6 or even a 4x8 trailer. And the clutch will hold since you don't tow daily. But if the manufacturer says no than it's no. Because they didn't build the car with towing in mind, hence there is no reinforcement items in the rear end of the subframe to support the added tongue weight of the trailer and the pull weight of the trailer. You must understand that. If you try making a hitch for your vehicle, you may be successful for a few months worth of towing until you start bending and twisting rear unibody parts...thus leading to vehicle that doesn't drive straight down the road.

And the Accord can tow because Honda says it can tow 1500 pounds or so and Honda even offers a "tow package" for the Accord (The older ones anyway).

VividDreams
01-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by DavidT
You guys that think your cars can tow don't understand. Yes, your motor will have plenty of power to tow the quad and 4x6 or even a 4x8 trailer. And the clutch will hold since you don't tow daily. But if the manufacturer says no than it's no. Because they didn't build the car with towing in mind, hence there is no reinforcement items in the rear end of the subframe to support the added tongue weight of the trailer and the pull weight of the trailer. You must understand that. If you try making a hitch for your vehicle, you may be successful for a few months worth of towing until you start bending and twisting rear unibody parts...thus leading to vehicle that doesn't drive straight down the road.

And the Accord can tow because Honda says it can tow 1500 pounds or so and Honda even offers a "tow package" for the Accord (The older ones anyway).

THANK YOU!! Thats what i was gonna say. Basicly, being that its a uni-body car, theres no real frame under the car. I cant stand when i see a car going down the road towing something, anything.Heck, it even irritates me to see people towin stuff with CR-V's, Rav-4's, etc. My theory, "If it doesnt have a frame dont tow with it!"

Big_T
01-06-2004, 05:14 PM
what kind of atv do you have.

SilverEpInDc
01-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Dont do it

SiR Medic
01-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Heck, the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of the EP isn't much more than 800lbs over the dry wheight anyway.

4 fat guys and the cars draggin' its ass... Let alone a trailer!

motomoron
01-09-2004, 09:08 AM
For fuck's sake why do people who have no idea what they're talking about continue to weigh in on topics with which they have zero actual practical experience.

I towed a 3 rail trailer with a middleweight road race motorcycle plus all the attendant crap all over the place for years, using a weedy 1989 / 1990 Civic Si.

The very fist thing I did when I got my 2002 Si was install a Hidden Hitch brand receiver hitch, so I could use my trailer to drag my Karts to the track, and haul crap to the dump and big stuff home from Lowes and Home Despot.

The car tows exceptionally well, seeing as it has about 75 ft/lbs more torque than my old 4gen Si. What you do need to pay attention to is tongue weight. No matter how much I pull, and I must admit I hauled 2 huge trailer loads of CMUs from the masonry place to my house, just a couple miles, I load so theres a maximum of maybe 150 lbs tongue weight.

Hitches are available from Draw Tite, Dalan, and Hidden Hitch. The Hidden Hitch doesn't require any drilling, and bolts to the rear tow loop and the box sections that the bumper/absorbers bolt to. Fits perfectly, and isn't really noticeable.

Tow with total impunity, and remember to ignore the Kids who say...

"Oh my god you cant do that I saw or heard something somewhere that said oh my god you can't do that so don't, IMHO. BTW, I got APC taillites there cool"

My $.02

:yellm: