PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Tie Rod Boot

SiRacer03
01-06-2004, 05:23 PM
I've searched and people haven't really posted the how to. I used a Tie Rod Seperator and that thing tore my Tie Rod boot. Heads up for those who are having problems with the Tie Rod, use the Pitman Puller tool, it works the best. I tried with the wood and hammer technique and still got nothing until I used the Pitman Puller (free rental at Auto store). How do you replace the Tie Rod Boot?

Here's a picture for those:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/images/imagecache/I13666.gif

USMCSI PT.2
01-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Dude in all honesty I think I would just replace the tie rod. Having a torn boot can do serious damage to the internals of the joint, kind of like the whole cv joint boot issue.

ConeCrazy02
01-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Go buy some tie rod boots
go see which wrench (regular ones) attachment will the boot fit into put some grease into the boot
put it into the tie rod end
Get 2 C clamps (medium size) and hold the attachment in place
Slowly turning one C clamp and alternate to the other
It will slip in just fine

Make sure you use the correct wrench attachment

SuperRacerTypeR
01-08-2004, 04:01 AM
hey thanks for the info about the tie rods puller, i have the same problems w/ my Si too whne i first install my Progress springs. i really mess up my tie rods b/c i hitted too hard with the hammer damaged the tie rod and the boots. Energy suspension have replacement tie rod comes with polyurthane bushing. u guys should check it out.