PDA

View Full Version : want to get a custom midpipe.

phatfreeza
01-06-2004, 07:53 PM
so i was talking to this guy at the local muffler shop. i asked him how much it would cost for a 2.25 inch midpipe installed, and he said about $75. i asked him if it would give me a deeper throatier sound and he said probably not. he said it'll give me more of a bumblebee buzz... would a resonator fix this? how much do they cost? do different materials produce different sounds?

i know gary(suk02si) has an mnrb midpipe (i think) and i've heard it in person and i like it!! but i think he paid $200 for it... too much for me... my range is $50-75 installed.

related to another post of mine... will a midpipe give me a vroom sound? much like an exhaust would when you start up the car?

sorry for the long post.. any help would be appreciated! thanks.

Tenacious G
01-06-2004, 08:13 PM
i've always read that a 2.25" midpipe minus a resonator will give you a deeper tone ... kind of like a sudued aftermarket cat-back, not as loud. perhaps the guy that was helping you was just commenting on past cars he's done. but if you go with a midpipe (mandrel bent, i'm assuming) with a resonator, it will sound pretty much like stock.

Lucid Moments
01-06-2004, 08:16 PM
I've got a 2.25" crush bent stainless steel mid-pipe with no resonator on my car. I paid $64 for it at the local muffler shop. I like the way it sounds. Deep and throaty at low rpm's, then when you wind it out it screams. When I first got it put on I thought it was going to be too loud, but I got used to it pretty quickly. And lets not forget the main reason to do this. It really makes a difference at the higher revs, like 5k and up.

brian1g
01-06-2004, 08:23 PM
i got a 2.25 midpipe about 6 months ago and i love it.i think they all sound the same, it has deep tone w/o being too buzzy, at least for my taste. the resonator will get you the same hp gains (not many) but it will make the exhaust not as loud, like stock. 75 is a good price but you may want to see if they will bolt it on w/ flanges instead of weld it in case you decide to by a catback later on and install yourself.

phatfreeza
01-07-2004, 02:01 AM
thanks for all the tips! this is gonna be my birthday gift to myself! :)