PDA

View Full Version : possible faulty hondata??

HARRY POTTER
01-07-2004, 11:35 AM
so its the new year... and i decided to check on prices for hondata hoping they have a end-of-year blowout sale.. selling the reflash for $100..(yeah riiiiiight!!!)so i had called a shop down in huntington beach(CA) and spoke to somebody over at autowave. they stated that hondata is still for $595.(no surprise!) anyhow, after talking about the basic details of higher revs, added torque, yadda yadda yadda... he ALSO mentioned that i be cautious when buying it because he had done 2 civics already, and one received noticeable gains in power and extra revs, while the other ep3 stayed the same in power but only added extra revs!! weird?? and he even said hondata is aware of it and their only response is, "it works for some cars and not for others." WTF? he also stated that hondata would refund the money back if there is no power difference other than extra revs... but the only way to get your money back would be to do before and after dyno testing.. so how much MORE money will hondata cost me??? i'd rather gamble my 7-800 bucks away in vegas against the house in blackjack! anyways, just wanted to share some insight with all... (now this is only one shop of a ton that may do hondata reflashes, so this testimony only plays a small percent (but worth noting) with hondata decision making..)

now the question is..... has anybody had the latter of the two issues with NO gains other than revs? and was that really worth the bundle of loot dumped on hondata?

fsugatorbait
01-07-2004, 12:44 PM
It all depends on the mods on the car plus you have to remember that not all cars are exactly the same. The hondata flash will not vary from one person to the next as its a program, not a mechanical part that can break. Hondata does nothing more than plug your ecu into their terminal and download the program. Its similar to the varying gains you can get with a CAI.
I just ordered the hondata flash and discussed the program with the reputable company I got it from and there was no mention of dissatisfied customers. Hondata does offer a 100% money back guarantee though on all the flashes, regardless if you have a dyno or not. This sounds like a story that he heard from a friend of a friend of a friend if you know what I mean.

EDIT: hondata can be had for less than $600 if you shop around.;)

David K.
01-07-2004, 12:59 PM
There is a shop in Dallas supposedly selling Hondata for $525. As for the numbers, everyone is reporting much better throttle response and midrange power, even though sometimes the dyno doesn't show actual gains.

fsugatorbait
01-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by David K.
There is a shop in Dallas supposedly selling Hondata for $525. As for the numbers, everyone is reporting much better throttle response and midrange power, even though sometimes the dyno doesn't show actual gains.

Thats the shop I went through, its $550. The $525 price was quoted for a group buy.

EMI
01-07-2004, 01:04 PM
on some cars it skips at 3k too

HARRY POTTER
01-07-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by EMI
on some cars it skips at 3k too

thats interesting....:eek:

dj addicted
01-07-2004, 01:08 PM
what do you mean it "skips" at 3K

fsugatorbait
01-07-2004, 01:11 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/pd48dac4a2ebc8c9ccaf93cbfd64aab11/fa08c27d.gif

03_CivicSi
01-07-2004, 03:43 PM
4 SoCal peeps... I talked 2 this guy from PIT CREW Motorsports and he said that they have the Hondata flash 4 $495. U need 2 drop of ur car and leave it there around 4 hours cause they need 2 drive it 2 Torrace 2 have it done. If any 1 wants 2 call them and see 4 their self (626)573-1837

P.S.. Thats what they told me last time I visit their shop.

EMI
01-07-2004, 03:50 PM
i have talked with people that it drops all its reading and goes to stock status sortof at 3k sometimes.

HARRY POTTER
01-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by 03_CivicSi
4 SoCal peeps... I talked 2 this guy from PIT CREW Motorsports and he said that they have the Hondata flash 4 $495. U need 2 drop of ur car and leave it there around 4 hours cause they need 2 drive it 2 Torrace 2 have it done. If any 1 wants 2 call them and see 4 their self (626)573-1837

P.S.. Thats what they told me last time I visit their shop.

isnt the "hondata flash 4" for rsx's?

D16Y8_Turbo
01-07-2004, 05:04 PM
If you don't have the reflash yet, just wait and get the upgrade where you are the tuner. This time you can adjust for boost, nitrous, or NA by yourself. Obviously it comes with base maps but you get the point. I will be getting this in feb when it comes out. So far I'm pleased with the hondata reflash.

TrippZ
01-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by EMI
i have talked with people that it drops all its reading and goes to stock status sortof at 3k sometimes.

seems illogical.

my understanding of hondata is, well, take this analogy

Your ecu is a floppy disk, your fuel maps and everything is in a file called HONDATA.txt

Hondata designs different fuel maps and everything on the hard drive and saves it as HONDATA.txt too. They transfer the file over, and comptuer says "Would you like to replace this file?" You click yes, and thats that. No more original file.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I've been thinking hondata is like that for a looooong time.

RiCeCoOkEr1280
01-08-2004, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by HARRY POTTER
so its the new year... and i decided to check on prices for hondata hoping they have a end-of-year blowout sale.. selling the reflash for $100..(yeah riiiiiight!!!)so i had called a shop down in huntington beach(CA) and spoke to somebody over at autowave. they stated that hondata is still for $595.(no surprise!) anyhow, after talking about the basic details of higher revs, added torque, yadda yadda yadda... he ALSO mentioned that i be cautious when buying it because he had done 2 civics already, and one received noticeable gains in power and extra revs, while the other ep3 stayed the same in power but only added extra revs!! weird?? and he even said hondata is aware of it and their only response is, "it works for some cars and not for others." WTF? he also stated that hondata would refund the money back if there is no power difference other than extra revs... but the only way to get your money back would be to do before and after dyno testing.. so how much MORE money will hondata cost me??? i'd rather gamble my 7-800 bucks away in vegas against the house in blackjack! anyways, just wanted to share some insight with all... (now this is only one shop of a ton that may do hondata reflashes, so this testimony only plays a small percent (but worth noting) with hondata decision making..)

now the question is..... has anybody had the latter of the two issues with NO gains other than revs? and was that really worth the bundle of loot dumped on hondata?

Gamble it in vegas Jazz.... HAHAHAHA.... That's what I'd do... :D

But I'm w/ D16, just wait for the upgrade where you tune it yourself... It'll be well worth it.

Paul

HARRY POTTER
01-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by RiCeCoOkEr1280
Gamble it in vegas Jazz.... HAHAHAHA.... That's what I'd do... :D

But I'm w/ D16, just wait for the upgrade where you tune it yourself... It'll be well worth it.

Paul

if i sit at the tables atleast i'll see where my money is going. basically across the table over to the dealer's side!! i can see my money perfectly from my seat!! :D :D ;)

does anybody know the price of the tunable hondata ecu yet? or atleast a ballpark number?

fsugatorbait
01-08-2004, 09:58 AM
if i sit at the tables atleast i'll see where my money is going. basically across the table over to the dealer's side!! i can see my money perfectly from my seat!! :D :D ;)

does anybody know the price of the tunable hondata ecu yet? or atleast a ballpark number?

I believe they said around a $1k.

RiCeCoOkEr1280
01-08-2004, 10:00 AM
$995... If you already have a flash, then you pay half ($500)...
Here's a Link:

http://hondata.com/kprorelease.html

Paul

DavidT
01-08-2004, 10:01 AM
That shop that you talked to did they have dyno numbers to prove that that 2nd Civic didn't get any power gains or is it just word of mouth? Cause if it's just word of mouth it don't mean jack. Some people are dumb and can't feel a slight difference in their car. Working with people in and out daily as a mechanic, I've concluded that 90% of all people are "dumb" when it comes to cars :D Sorry but that's the truth. Everybody has their dumb areas and mine would be science, I'm a total dumbass when it comes to science but at least I don't use science everyday...people use their cars everyday and that's the sad part.

Don't dog Hondata unless you've tried it. I've driven a few Si's with i/h/e and one with just an intake and Hondata and the Hondata Civic pulls way better straight from idle compared to the others with i/h/e, not to mention it pulling harder in the upper RPMs and into 8k on the tach (It's off). After driving it, I'm sold on it and my next mod is Hondata for sure ;)

Hondata does provide two dynos of two Civics on their website and one did get more power gains than the other, but that 2nd one also had i/h with Hondata, nevertheless there was still added power in the upper RPMs compared to stock. If you look at the dyno chart it stretches it's power all the way to 7700 RPMs which is pretty impressive and the car shaved a whole second off it's 0-60 time. Which would drop it into the mid 14-second 1/4 mile era.

HARRY POTTER
01-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by DavidT
That shop that you talked to did they have dyno numbers to prove that that 2nd Civic didn't get any power gains or is it just word of mouth? Cause if it's just word of mouth it don't mean jack. Some people are dumb and can't feel a slight difference in their car. Working with people in and out daily as a mechanic, I've concluded that 90% of all people are "dumb" when it comes to cars :D Sorry but that's the truth. Everybody has their dumb areas and mine would be science, I'm a total dumbass when it comes to science but at least I don't use science everyday...people use their cars everyday and that's the sad part.

Don't dog Hondata unless you've tried it. I've driven a few Si's with i/h/e and one with just an intake and Hondata and the Hondata Civic pulls way better straight from idle compared to the others with i/h/e, not to mention it pulling harder in the upper RPMs and into 8k on the tach (It's off). After driving it, I'm sold on it and my next mod is Hondata for sure ;)

Hondata does provide two dynos of two Civics on their website and one did get more power gains than the other, but that 2nd one also had i/h with Hondata, nevertheless there was still added power in the upper RPMs compared to stock. If you look at the dyno chart it stretches it's power all the way to 7700 RPMs which is pretty impressive and the car shaved a whole second off it's 0-60 time. Which would drop it into the mid 14-second 1/4 mile era.

i was almost sold on hondata also, from all the reviews on this board and others... thats what intrigued me on calling out for some prices. now the info i recieved about the 2nd civic w/ no gains was from mike over at autowave, who's a dealer for hondata. straight from the horse's mouth unfortunately. forking up $500+, (in my world of finances) is a lot.. although i was ready to drop that dollar amount, after hearing that small peice of info from mike, slowed my row. now im thinking about just getting a throttle body instead! :confused:

HARRY POTTER
01-08-2004, 10:15 AM
$995... If you already have a flash, then you pay half ($500)...
Here's a Link:

http://hondata.com/kprorelease.html

Paul

1g?? damn! :eek: vegas.... hondata... vegas.... hondata.... :smilem: :smilem:

DavidT
01-08-2004, 10:27 AM
i was almost sold on hondata also, from all the reviews on this board and others... thats what intrigued me on calling out for some prices. now the info i recieved about the 2nd civic w/ no gains was from mike over at autowave, who's a dealer for hondata. straight from the horse's mouth unfortunately. forking up $500+, (in my world of finances) is a lot.. although i was ready to drop that dollar amount, after hearing that small peice of info from mike, slowed my row. now im thinking about just getting a throttle body instead! :confused:

I understand your situation. I've driven 3 EPs with i/h/e now and all of them seems to have lost quite a bit of low end torque, but gained slightly in the upper RPMs, not sure if it's because of the lower end torque and spike in the upper RPM making you think it's gaining upper end power or what but that's what I've felt. I'd rather spend the $600 on Hondata vs. $600 for a header and exhaust system from my experience. I'm sure everyone's experience will differ. That and I'm waiting for Skunk2 to come out with cams in Feburary ;)

HARRY POTTER
01-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by DavidT
I understand your situation. I've driven 3 EPs with i/h/e now and all of them seems to have lost quite a bit of low end torque, but gained slightly in the upper RPMs, not sure if it's because of the lower end torque and spike in the upper RPM making you think it's gaining upper end power or what but that's what I've felt. I'd rather spend the $600 on Hondata vs. $600 for a header and exhaust system from my experience. I'm sure everyone's experience will differ. That and I'm waiting for Skunk2 to come out with cams in Feburary ;)

SKUNK2 CAMS! yum! :D cant wait!

yea.. minor dilema for me right now with this hondata decision. already have the i/h/e. just looking/ready for that next level of NA power...

RiCeCoOkEr1280
01-08-2004, 11:08 AM
GO TO VEGAS FIRST!!!!! I would but we planned a phat ass trip to Big Bear at the end of the month... as far as the ep, I'd wait for the Skunk2 cams (along w/ valves, valve springs & intake manifold), then get the programmable Hondata & the Comptech race header probably... I was close to getting another turbo kit (Rev Hard's), but I wanna see what the a3 can do....

Paul

HARRY POTTER
01-08-2004, 11:22 AM
GO TO VEGAS FIRST!!!!! I would but we planned a phat ass trip to Big Bear at the end of the month... as far as the ep, I'd wait for the Skunk2 cams (along w/ valves, valve springs & intake manifold), then get the programmable Hondata & the Comptech race header probably... I was close to getting another turbo kit (Rev Hard's), but I wanna see what the a3 can do....

Paul

thanks for helping make my life easier paul!! :D :D :D vegas it is!!

RiCeCoOkEr1280
01-08-2004, 11:28 AM
werd... how can you beat free drinks and a chance at doubling your money?!?!?!?!? :D

HARRY POTTER
01-08-2004, 11:31 AM
werd... how can you beat free drinks and a chance at doubling your money?!?!?!?!? :D

add some fine ass women to that! = over!;)

RiCeCoOkEr1280
01-08-2004, 11:48 AM
add some fine ass women to that! = over!;)

shit how could i forget that!!?!?!?!?

02HatchSI
01-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Does anybody know the rev limit for the new'er hondata chip coming out???