PDA

View Full Version : buying ball joints / ball joint and tie rod boots

tony speed
01-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Where can I find ball joints and ball joint boots and tie rod boots for our car online?

chunky
01-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by tony speed
Where can I find ball joints and ball joint boots and tie rod boots for our car online?

don't you have a dealership near you?

i'd suggest changing the tie rod end boots to some polyurethane boots from energy suspension or something.

tony speed
01-07-2004, 01:36 PM
the dealership is very aggravating...they will only sell our ball joint with the knuckle and i don't know what other model ball joints that will fit our knuckle are sold individually. Also, energy suspension only seems to have sway bar and rear arm bushings.

chunky
01-07-2004, 02:48 PM
the dealership is very aggravating...they will only sell our ball joint with the knuckle and i don't know what other model ball joints that will fit our knuckle are sold individually. Also, energy suspension only seems to have sway bar and rear arm bushings.

you lie.

http://www.energysuspension.com/tie_r.html

sucks about the dealership. I'll look in my helms tonight and see if there is a part # for just the boot.

tony speed
01-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by chunky
you lie.

sucks about the dealership. I'll look in my helms tonight and see if there is a part # for just the boot.

at this point i think i'm going to need the balljoint and not just the boot. i waited to long and i think the balljoint is now damaged.

chunky
01-07-2004, 03:41 PM
at this point i think i'm going to need the balljoint and not just the boot. i waited to long and i think the balljoint is now damaged.

man, that blows! too much play? how long has it been? you can go quite a while before really damaging it. . .

tony speed
01-08-2004, 04:33 PM
man, that blows! too much play? how long has it been? you can go quite a while before really damaging it. . .

no play but i can hear an audible grinding noise sometimes at low speeds. still good?

ConeCrazy02
01-08-2004, 04:39 PM
When you buy, buy like 6 and any other oem parts you think you might need, because the shipping and handling does not come cheap.

tony speed
01-12-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by blackdc5
How was it damaged? Spring/Coilover installation?

fortunately, the ball joint was ok. I just bootleg fit on a boot from an old ball joint i had. My mechanic tore it i think, when he was taking out my knuckle and reinstalling it.

tony speed
01-20-2004, 07:15 AM
you lie.

thanks chunky. But I kinda tried to take of the boot for measurement the other night when I was reinstalling my struts, but that thing is stuck on there! Have any suggestions as how to take of the boot without tearing it? thanks

ConeCrazy02
01-20-2004, 07:28 PM
Got use vice grip and cut that thing.

The top portion of the boot: total diameter 1 1/2in, inside diameter is 1 1/6in

Bottome portion: total diameter 1in, inside diameter 1/2in