PDA

View Full Version : KONI has shocks for are EP3!!!!!!

siver-SI
01-07-2004, 03:35 PM
This is the e-mail that I got from Koni today. This should be no modding shocks.

Neal,

We have an insert and a rear shock already available for the car. The
part numbers you will need are
Front: 8641 1416 Sport (for 50mm OD body)
8610 1415 Sport (for 55mm OD body)
Rear: 8041 1281 Sport

Please note that the front is an insert that will reuse the factory
strut housing for installation. We do not, nor are planning currently,
to have a complete strut available for the car due to the steering
bracket that is located on the body of the strut. The measurement that
is required for the front is the outer diameter (OD) of the tube that
the strut is built around. Honda changed the struts that they used on
the car sometime in 2002 and the only true way to confirm the correct
insert is to measure it. If you have any other questions, please write
back and let me know. Thanks for writing.

Gordon

02SilverSiHB
01-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
This is the e-mail that I got from Koni today. This should be no modding shocks.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
dude..I have konis..they've been out forever...you do have to modify the stock struts...just as he said...you just copied it...didn't you read it????

"We have an insert and a rear shock already available for the car"

"Please note that the front is an insert that will reuse the factory strut housing for installation. We do not, nor are planning currently, to have a complete strut available for the car due to the steering bracket that is located on the body of the strut."

He couldn't have been any clearer!

VividDreams
01-07-2004, 03:47 PM
sounds like its the same as it was:confused:

02SilverSiHB
01-07-2004, 03:48 PM
here's the how to...it's an insert...meaning you insert it inside the stock strut...meaning you cut open the stock front struts...take out the guts...insert the koni insert...clever...they named it an insert :rolleyes: http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=EP_KONI

VividDreams
01-07-2004, 03:51 PM
btw, the shocks are decent right? i know koni is a pretty reputable company. also, if you get these, and they modify your stockers, does that mean that if you ever wanna go back to stock you gotta buy new front shocks? or, can the bracket be re mounted on the stock shock? thanks

chunky
01-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by VividDreams
btw, the shocks are decent right? i know koni is a pretty reputable company. also, if you get these, and they modify your stockers, does that mean that if you ever wanna go back to stock you gotta buy new front shocks? or, can the bracket be re mounted on the stock shock? thanks

there's a lot of complaints about the koni. i wouldn't buy them.

02SilverSiHB
01-07-2004, 03:56 PM
yes the shocks are great, and yes you will have to buy new stock shocks if you ever want to go back to stock....there is no braket involved..I'm confused as to what you are referring to.

Here is a quick how to:
cut the stock strut from a tad below the stock medal piece (mine was gold):
http://www.k-series.com/Images/Tech/EP_KONI/EP_KONI-2.jpg
Stock shock cut....internals to the right
http://www.k-series.com/Images/Tech/EP_KONI/EP_KONI-17.jpg
Koni insert slides in...it stays by taking a bolt and inserting it from the bottom of the stock strut (which you will have drilled a hole in the bottom to allow this)
http://www.k-series.com/Images/Tech/EP_KONI/EP_KONI-19.jpg

02SilverSiHB
01-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by chunky
there's a lot of complaints about the koni. i wouldn't buy them.
a few reasons I can think of for complaints might be:
1: If you get sleeves...like ground control or skunk2, make sure to get a modified piece for the rear...or you risk the perch falling from uneven load with the sleeves.
2: Don't cut too much like I did, or you will get a creaking sound...I fixed this for now...but it's not reversible...so far I've been lucky for the past 2or3 weeks....no creak so far.

Other than that, the function of the inserts/shocks are great...although they are valved for the coupes not the Si...from my understanding. But those that have been in my car can tell the difference with the konis...my car doesn't wobble like it did with the uncontrollable rebound you get with the stock struts.

siver-SI
01-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Darn it my bad there. In my message that I sent do them I said that I did not want to do the modding to the tower for the front and did they have fronts there were direct install with out having to do work to the tower. So when he said yes that is why I thought this was good. :( I guess this guy did not read my e-mail right too.

02SilverSiHB
01-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Darn it my bad there. In my message that I sent do them I said that I did not want to do the modding to the tower for the front and did they have fronts there were direct install with out having to do work to the tower. So when he said yes that is why I thought this was good. :( I guess this guy did not read my e-mail right too.
LOL, sorry I ragged on you...I had too...couldn't resist..don't take it personal ;)

VividDreams
01-07-2004, 04:07 PM
We do not, nor are planning currently,
to have a complete strut available for the car due to the steering
bracket that is located on the body of the strut.

Gordon

this is what im referring to

02SilverSiHB
01-07-2004, 04:13 PM
this is what im referring to
I'm not sure if you are misunderstanding what the bracket is...or if you are misunderstanding how the install is.

The bracket is the arm that the tie rod end goes into to steer the car..making the strut/wheel turn left or right.

This part is not messed with at all.

The only part that is cut..is the part above the perch...the perch being the part that holds the bottom of the spring.

See in this pic, the stock strut is on the left...the part that was cut off...is on the top right above the internals of the stock strut. Once that is cut, you put the insert in and bolt it down from the bottom...which there is a hole on the bottom of the stock strut that you have to make..that's it.
http://www.k-series.com/Images/Tech/EP_KONI/EP_KONI-17.jpg

Hachiman
01-15-2004, 03:59 PM
What OD is the best to use for the front?

Civicvtec1ps
01-15-2004, 06:52 PM
God damn koni.

31102si
01-15-2004, 08:44 PM
someone eventually has to come out with aftermarket shocks for our cars. I just don't see how no one will. Wasn't tokico close to having some done? I will wait until my stock shocks go before I buy any if no company has any by then I will just go full coil-over. I wish I would of done that to begin with anyway. I've been dropped for a year now and the shocks are holding up great.

downhil
01-15-2004, 11:28 PM
i think they are referring to producing a complete strut assembly. since the steering arm is attached to the strut body itself.

02SilverSiHB
01-16-2004, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by 31102si
someone eventually has to come out with aftermarket shocks for our cars. I just don't see how no one will. Wasn't tokico close to having some done? I will wait until my stock shocks go before I buy any if no company has any by then I will just go full coil-over. I wish I would of done that to begin with anyway. I've been dropped for a year now and the shocks are holding up great.
people said kyb was going to bring out a direct bolt on shock...well, they got the part numbers out for the ep now...guess what, there are two part numbers for the front and rear....as if in case you have the 50mm or 55mm struts.....like koni does for inserts

siver-SI
01-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
people said kyb was going to bring out a direct bolt on shock...well, they got the part numbers out for the ep now...guess what, there are two part numbers for the front and rear....as if in case you have the 50mm or 55mm struts.....like koni does for inserts

So KYB does have boltons for are car now you are saying?

Mad02Si
01-16-2004, 06:16 PM
My shocks are gone so i'm gonna be in the position to buy some when my tax money comes. I really wish Bilstien would come out with some. I remember seeing a picture on HT of a set with steering arm and all but never got a reply on the pic. If none are aout by april I will try for coilovers..

02SilverSiHB
01-17-2004, 11:01 AM
So KYB does have boltons for are car now you are saying?
not really...read this post: http://www.k-series.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1038
I found out they had part numbers, but then glw noticed the part numbers are the same for the rsx...which tells me they probably are just inserts...like koni...that's inserts, not striaght bolt on.

siver-SI
01-17-2004, 11:29 AM
not really...read this post: http://www.k-series.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1038
I found out they had part numbers, but then glw noticed the part numbers are the same for the rsx...which tells me they probably are just inserts...like koni...that's inserts, not striaght bolt on.

So it looks like no matter what we are going to have to work with inserts for are car. Well I guess now just have to figure out who is the best to do with.

TEKBRAIN
01-17-2004, 05:09 PM
I love my KY.

02SilverSiHB
01-17-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by TEKBRAIN
I love my KY.
you have the new kyb shocks on your car?

n i c k e l
01-17-2004, 05:31 PM
you have the new kyb shocks on your car?

??

02SilverSiHB
01-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by n i c k e l
??
He just said he loves his KY...not sure if he met he loves his kyb shocks, or he love ky jelly :eek: :rolleyes:

TEKBRAIN
01-17-2004, 06:03 PM
KY == Koni Yellow :cool:

KY jelly + Koni :angel:

trk
01-17-2004, 06:14 PM
For people complaining about front struts/shocks not being released for our car. They are, its called Tein, Mugen Suspension, etc...

As stated by Koni, the front strut has a perch and a control arm and needs to have all of that replaced, hence why koni and probably others wont make cheap 79$ shocks as they used to for older honda cars. The rear is a diff story, hence why they have them out already.

Anyone, am I wrong?