PDA

View Full Version : ??? about carbon fiber care

dofu
01-07-2004, 05:45 PM
how the hell are you suppose to take care of carbon fiber?

02SilverSiHB
01-07-2004, 05:50 PM
the same way you would any other part of your car...clean it and wax it.

It has a clear coat on it, like any other painted part.

03hatch
01-07-2004, 08:16 PM
i heard its not good to wax the hood? is that right?

02SilverSiHB
01-08-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by 03hatch
i heard its not good to wax the hood? is that right?
I would think you would wax it...like I said, it's just like anything else..it has a clear coat that you will want to protect and keep shiney

Btrthnezr3
01-08-2004, 07:50 AM
Nothing like shiny carbon fiber! The weave glistening in the reflection of the sky...Clouds moving across the pristine surface of the hood, the spoiler...bringing a calmness to the turbocharged beast as it rests in the driveway. Ok, yeah...I love carbon fiber just a tad too much! But can you blame me? :D

EMI
01-08-2004, 08:55 AM
yes you can wax your carbon stuff. well if it has been gel coated or clear coated. It is acurally better to buff it then wax it

BlackNRedSi
01-08-2004, 09:28 AM
You SHOULD wax and polish a CF piece @ least 1ce every month or so...If you dont take proper care of a CF piece it will start to turn yuck yellow over time and start to look like dog pooo

k20hatch
01-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
You SHOULD wax and polish a CF piece @ least 1ce every month or so...If you dont take proper care of a CF piece it will start to turn yuck yellow over time and start to look like dog pooo

I shall take that into consideration when the wing arrives!! :D But even my car tends to be over waxed :D

EMI
01-08-2004, 12:03 PM
not waxing it is not what will make it turn yellow. crapy UV Protecting or no UV Protecting will do that

Btrthnezr3
01-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by EMI
not waxing it is not what will make it turn yellow. crapy UV Protecting or no UV Protecting will do that

Good to know. ;)

dofu
01-08-2004, 01:58 PM
ok... thanx. clearcoat and wax is what my body shop's tellin me too. i should get them to add a few extra layers of clearcoat on everything before i put it all on. and honestly, i've never been a big fan of spoilers, so i got the hatch instead. cant wait... they were tryin to figure out how they were gonna package it yesterday coz its so oddly shaped. lol

BlackNRedSi
01-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by EMI

thanks! Do waxes have uv protection in them?

02SilverSiHB
01-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
thanks! Do waxes have uv protection in them?
I used that mequires 3 step wax/polish...it works great and protects the finish from the sun rays and any other harmful chemicals out there.

EMI
01-08-2004, 05:49 PM
the 3 step wax will help a lot. If the carbon peice is already clear coated you really do not have to clear it again. If it is gel coated then it would not be a bad idea. There are UV protected gel coats that we use on our stuff and that should be good enough too. What do you have and the brand and I will tell you what needs done. I gel coat and clear coat my personal stuff because it gives the carbon more depth

02SilverSiHB
01-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by EMI
What do you have and the brand and I will tell you what needs done.
brand as in brand of carbon fiber? fiber images and vis mugen style wing

brand as in brand of wax? mequires