PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber engine cover

CivicSiR
01-08-2004, 02:30 AM
Just installed a bunch of things, one of which was a carbon fiber engine cover. The I-VTEC DOHC is custom made to fit the groove where the stock engine cover normally says it. Couldn't get the stock one off, but I think I like the DIY style one better anyhow.

http://www.bretgorden.com/images/civicsi/enginebay.jpg
http://www.bretgorden.com/images/civicsi/enginebay2.jpg
http://www.bretgorden.com/images/civicsi/enginecover.jpghttp://www.bretgorden.com/images/civicsi/enginestart4.jpg

Btrthnezr3
01-08-2004, 06:58 AM
Me Likey! Thumbs Up!

EMI
01-08-2004, 09:01 AM
i really like that!

glw
01-08-2004, 09:08 AM
looks great! where'd you get the ivtec sticker made? details please!

SiR_d1
01-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Nice job, abd pretty soon you'll have a DC lower tie bar to install also;)

CivicSiR
01-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the props guys. Sorry for the crappy pictures, I think I'll take some more today. Also, the decal fits perfectly in the groove, but I installed it a lil bit to the right heh. oops! =oP

glw, I had the i-vtec dohc custom made by someone I know. I'll be glad to get one of those decals for you if you'd like. I have one more unused one right now, it's white. I'm going for a black and red concept on my car the most I can, so I used the red one.

SiR_d1, hahaha...yeah, soon as it's on I'll post pics! thanks for the great buy! =)

CivicSiR
01-08-2004, 02:30 PM
And lemme appologize for the crappy pics. I'll take some today and replace these.

EDIT. There you go, some clearer pics including my S2000 engine start that transplants the hazard button to the other side of the shifter.

Heitzke
01-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Really cool, it looks good. Where did you get that cover from? and how much did it run you? Thanks

Mike

k20hatch
01-10-2004, 11:50 AM
Wow i really like that alot!!! Def need to kno where you got that...Im starting to turn into a carbon fiber freak!:cool:

S2KplusSI
02-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Get a Carbon Fiber spark plug cover on and you're set. I had one on my EP and it looked sweet. I got it from JDMHondaParts.com

CivicSiR
02-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Heitzke and k20hatch, you should be able to pick one up on ebay. I got mine for 60 bucks. you may need to search for the rsx engine, but whatever you get it should say it works with 02+ Si.

However, in case you're wondering, you're only going to be getting the carbon fiber cover, and NOT the i-VTEC DOHC. I had that customized for the cover. I have one extra of those decals in WHITE (i figured i'd get one in red and one in white just in case i didn't like one of them), which would look pretty darned good if anyone wants dibs...but the problem is that it's in SF and I'm in washington DC for a few more months.

Anyway, thanks for the props.

PS, S2kPLUSSi, I'm checkin out the spark plug cover right now. ;) ok, i only see one for the b series right now... hmm. where is it?...oh, and PSS., you aren't rich by any chance are you? ;P that's ok, I have an RX8, too. drove the STi and S2000, and for that matter, drove the EVO and g35, and ultimately chose the rx8. EVO was the most fun overall, and the rx8 was the best allconsidered (ie, practicality, safety, comfort, handling, price (paid 26 and change), and it's unique...meanwhile, it has 18s, 50/50 weight dist, HIDs, stability control, 4 seats (a HUGE plus for me), 4 doors for that matter, lol, more convenience. anyway, all the other cars are GREAT, and I just wanted to comment on how SWEET your garage must be. You have pics of all your cars? PM me a link of them. here're a few crappy pics of my rx8, but it's the day i bought it, so I was excited. www.bretgorden.com/rx8.html (it's completely stock for now)

STP03BlueSI
02-04-2004, 06:19 AM
I wonder how the CF would do with the engine heat?:(

CivicSiR
02-04-2004, 07:59 AM
I've noticed it gets pretty hot, but I haven't noticed any problems yet. But I supposed under racing conditions that could become a problem for the CF.

SONIC SI
02-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Where did you pick the cover up from?

CivicSiR
02-04-2004, 09:00 PM
ebay. 60 bucks.

BlackSi613nin
02-09-2004, 08:03 PM
that is sweet, i been eyein that on ebay for a long time... i just dont have 60 bux for it right now.. also do they make the spark plug cover in c/f to, so it will all match? lookin good

joHn

LHD_EP3
02-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Good work mate!

trk
02-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by STP03BlueSI
I wonder how the CF would do with the engine heat?:(

it'll bubble like mine did ---

http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30292

CivicSiR
02-15-2004, 07:41 PM
LHD_EP3, thanks for the props bro.

trk--"it'll bubble like mine did"--thanks for the heads up, but I gotta say that mine hasn't bubbled up yet and I've had it on my car since mid December. I'm not going to suggest that people do or do not get it based on MY personal experience...I realize for you and perhaps other people bubbling has been an issue, however, for me, it hasn't. It's possible I haven't raced my engine enough since I installed it. Who knows. But I'll keep you guys informed...

trk
02-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by CivicSiR
LHD_EP3, thanks for the props bro.

trk--"it'll bubble like mine did"--thanks for the heads up, but I gotta say that mine hasn't bubbled up yet and I've had it on my car since mid December. I'm not going to suggest that people do or do not get it based on MY personal experience...I realize for you and perhaps other people bubbling has been an issue, however, for me, it hasn't. It's possible I haven't raced my engine enough since I installed it. Who knows. But I'll keep you guys informed...

Right on. I actually hope im the only one who got a bad one, for everyone else's sake. :angel:

Engine bay looks good man. :-)

vtecnrg
02-15-2004, 09:29 PM
I also have the carbon fiber cover with no problems yet. Mine has been on my car since late October. Not to mention alot of heat under there with the turbo. Do you still have the white ivtec lettering?

CivicSiR
02-15-2004, 09:36 PM
vtecnrg... "I also have the carbon fiber cover with no problems yet. Mine has been on my car since late October. Not to mention alot of heat under there with the turbo. Do you still have the white ivtec lettering?"

I still have the white ivtec lettering I believe, however it is in SF, and i'm in Washington DC. I'll be back in san francisco mid march, so if you're still interested, keep in touch.

trk
02-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by vtecnrg
I also have the carbon fiber cover with no problems yet. Mine has been on my car since late October. Not to mention alot of heat under there with the turbo. Do you still have the white ivtec lettering?

... you have a different brand cover ... looks much better than mine.

My bubbling is very slight ... but its there... and the seams/overlaps are kinda turning white...

CivicSiR
02-15-2004, 09:45 PM
oh, how much u pay?

ATRIOT
02-15-2004, 09:46 PM
I dont see a pic with the hazards/engine start button. Do you mind throwing that one up as well?

trk
02-15-2004, 09:52 PM
oh, how much u pay?
me?

68 shipped...

CivicSiR
02-15-2004, 10:07 PM
trk...ya i paid 60. i guess there are different manufacturers out there... the bottom of mine is fiberglass or plastic or something. how about yours?

atriot, "I dont see a pic with the hazards/engine start button. Do you mind throwing that one up as well?"

Sure, here's a pic of the custom s2000 start button with the hazards transplanted to other side of shifter...

http://www.bretgorden.com/images/civicsi/enginestart3.jpg
http://www.bretgorden.com/images/civicsi/enginestart4.jpg

ATRIOT
02-15-2004, 10:10 PM
Very Nice job, thanks for throwing the pic up. Was there any particular method you used to attach the hazard button? hot glue etc etc.

vtecnrg
02-15-2004, 10:18 PM
I still have the white ivtec lettering I believe, however it is in SF, and i'm in Washington DC. I'll be back in san francisco mid march, so if you're still interested, keep in touch. [/B][/QUOTE]

I will keep in touch. No hurry. What would you like for it? I am also happy to pay for shipping.

CivicSiR
02-15-2004, 10:22 PM
i don't want much for it. like 10 bucks is straight...but you'll have to be patient =)

atriot, yeah you gotta glue it down. make sure it's on there well though cause my first time the button wouldn't quite come back out once I pressed it, cause the button slightly moved apparently after installing the dash back on. just had to reattach it and it has been perfect since then. :)

cryptic02si
02-17-2004, 11:28 PM
did you have to extend the wires on the hazzard button to get them to reach?I've read in the past that it wouldn't work w/o extending the wires. thanks.

CivicSiR
02-17-2004, 11:33 PM
I don't think you have to extend them... I believe there may be a clip or something that keeps them from reaching, but you just gotta break that clip if it even exists. Obviously you should be careful when 'yanking' at the wires to make them reach, but I didn't have any problems when doing so... they seemed to pull out just fine. Good luck...

oh, and I think most of the problem you'll have is with remounting the hazard button onto the other side. You'll need some hardcore adhesive/glue, and you'll wanna make sure it's planted nice and well before reinstalling everything and testing it out... just do everything very carefully and everything will work out just fine.

cryptic02si
02-17-2004, 11:52 PM
thanks alot for the quick response. I will now be ordering the s2000 start button and giving this a try.peace!

Soichiro-Honda
03-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Carbon fiber has a higher heat tolerance than aluminum.
Thats why its used in brakes disc and pad, car chassis, mufflers exhaust, intercooler piping, intake manifolds.
Cause its strong, light, and has a high heat tolerance.
Its also acoustically inert, also can be used as a gas tank.

CivicSiR
03-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Soichiro-Honda
Carbon fiber has a higher heat tolerance than aluminum.
Thats why its used in brakes disc and pad, car chassis, mufflers exhaust, intercooler piping, intake manifolds.
Cause its strong, light, and has a high heat tolerance.
Its also acoustically inert, also can be used as a gas tank.

True. Someone was mentioning that the carbon fiber engine cover that they got was warping or something. I'm sure it's just cause the quality was poor or wasn't pure CF or something that it had problems. Or perhaps what he's talking about is the glaze they put over it is melting. I dunno, but I've had no problems w/ mine.

02SiFoLife
03-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Carbon Fiber will hold up just fine under racing conditions. It can withstand extreme heat.
I have the same cover but I wanna know where did you get the sticker ???

CivicSiR
03-15-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by 02SiFoLife
Carbon Fiber will hold up just fine under racing conditions. It can withstand extreme heat.
I have the same cover but I wanna know where did you get the sticker ???

The sticker? hmmmm don't know what you're talkin bout! hah j/k I got customed made from someone on ebay...I wish I could find the extra one I had in white... I'd sell it to you.

bG

SiR_d1
03-15-2004, 01:00 AM
Have you gotten around to installing that tie bar?

was everything cool?

CivicSiR
03-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by SiR_d1
Have you gotten around to installing that tie bar?

was everything cool?

Yeah actually I'm very close to installing it. lol. I'll probably install it within the next few days. I'm gunna install my x-brace w/ it at the same time so I gotta get enough free time to do both at once. I'll let ya know when I get it on...thanks again.

bG

SiR_d1
03-15-2004, 01:06 AM
Yeah actually I'm very close to installing it. lol. I'll probably install it within the next few days. I'm gunna install my x-brace w/ it at the same time so I gotta get enough free time to do both at once. I'll let ya know when I get it on...thanks again.

bG

:cool:

02SiFoLife
03-15-2004, 01:08 AM
I'll have to check ebay or maybe I'll just leave it blank. I don't want a white one.(I'm picky as f*ck)
Ebay is so wonderful !
Rims,Exhaust,CF gas door,CF cover,Short Shifter,Pedals
Thanks E-Bay:D