PDA

View Full Version : Eek, help, is this a cold thing?

Puffs
01-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Okay, just curious if anyone else has had this problem.

2003, SI, 5100 miles. I am driving home from the rents and my gas light comes on. I stop at a gas station, and as I pull the lever...no response from my gas door! Now, the car has been somewhat in the elements, but it is not like i am pouring water into my door cracks, so I doubt it is frozen shut, but memory tells me that water has collected there before.

Could this be a common problem amongst SI's? Any canucks had problems with their SI in the cold weather. Is there a cropping of mechanical failures for the gas lever?

I just feel stupid going to the dealer for warranty work like this, and have the guy come back at me and say..."yeah, it was just frozen shut."

That might cause shrinkage.

fishboy
01-08-2004, 03:34 PM
i remember someone having a problem like this a long time ago. did you try searching? you should be able to find something.

Stupendous Man
01-08-2004, 03:38 PM
I have the exact same problem:mad: ! I have to wedge my freaking cell phone under the damn lever and pry the gas door open with my key:mad: . HELP PLEASE

fishboy
01-08-2004, 03:48 PM
since i'm such a nice guy i found the thread. nothing about a solution though.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=7745&highlight=gas+door+stuck

at least you guys aren't alone. :D

plpong893
01-08-2004, 04:28 PM
samething with mine im going to honda tomorrow for my oil change(its free) and i will ask them about it.

Mugen Power
01-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Dang, I don't have that problem and I'm in upstate NY right now where it snows everyday and is currently about 15 degrees outside BEFORE windchill... Maybe it's just a certain batch of cars that are affected by this just like not everyone has a crunchy tranny.

shimmy_yaz
01-08-2004, 05:16 PM
It's prob just something with the cold weather. I know the other day it snowed for like 5 minutes and then it was windy and I had a hell of a time getting my door open.

02siSNJ
01-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Alright here's the easiest fix. Actually when mine happened i was lucky enough to have a paper clip and another person in the car. Basically unfold the paper clip till there is one hook left and have someone hold the opener for you. place the clip behind the bent metal part of the gas door-to avoid scratches and pull as they open the door. Thats the easiest way I found with out ruining the paint from those compressed gas deicer's.

4g63dsm
01-08-2004, 07:56 PM
this happened to me aswelljust take it in to the dealership and its covered under warranty

Puffs
01-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I was able to open it w/my girlfriend holding the lever as I wegged my tissue covered keys(to not scratch) into the hold and pulled the door open.

If this car is not going to be cold friendly, i am going to be pissed. This is my first stupid issue w/this car, so I guess I have been lucky. There are a few little things, but I guess I will have the dealer fix them under warranty.

I also the thumping sound that happens when I turn the steering wheel while standing still. THAT definately doesn't sound right.

It sounds like someone lost a screw in my hatch too cause it rattles around when i lift it. I hate having to take apart the whole door for one screw, but clearly the guy punched one through when he was mounting the license plate.

Yeah, if those are the worst of my complaints, then I feel pretty lucky. ;)

Rwecked
01-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Same thing happened to me the very first time I went to fill it up. It's not cold related. The piece of metal that's on the filler door is actually bent too far forward (if that makes sense). You have to bend it back a touch so when you pull the lever the piece that retracts into the car will slide back far enough to open it.

Ever since I "adjusted" it it's worked fine.

K20A3Si
01-09-2004, 05:45 PM
i work for honda and i have seen many people coming to the garage and calling service saying there gas tank is not opening...this is due to the cold weather..the metal piece that bend is thin and is very tempermental.....dont panic....;)

bioevolve
01-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Just smack it one time hard lol.

Loudpedal
01-09-2004, 09:20 PM
My filler door was a bitch to open last night as well. Friggin coldest night of the year, my tank is nearly empty and I'm looking like an idiot running between the filler door and the filler relaase. I'm gonna try "adjusting" the door.

BlkEpHatch02
01-09-2004, 09:42 PM
yeah i had this same problem too because of the rapid temperature drop..i just tapped the gas door and i open it and noticed dat some ice had froze up at the hinges..so it could be that

-Paul

02HatchSI
01-10-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by K20A3Si
i work for honda and i have seen many people coming to the garage and calling service saying there gas tank is not opening...this is due to the cold weather..the metal piece that bend is thin and is very tempermental.....dont panic....;)

i work for honda

as do i :D Yes and he is correct about the metal piece... what honda do u work at??? I work @ frank leta honda in stl, MO

Zero Three Si
01-10-2004, 07:34 PM
You guys are gay.....warm up a glass of hot water and pour it on there....duhhhhhhh

K20A3Si
01-15-2004, 05:14 PM
02 hatch si...i work at lundgren honda in auburn, mass...

Puffs
01-26-2004, 02:34 PM
Heh, Auburn is too far for me for service or I would take it to you! :)

Are you a sales guy or a tech?

I have been taking my car to Herb Chambers in Boston, but I think I am going to switch to Honda Village.

I just want it to warm up and the weather to get all spring like so I can get some new rims and throw them on with my KW Variant 2's!

Also, this might seem like a dumb question, but is it possible to get a replacement bumper? Some F'er played bumper pool with my back bumper in a parkling lot and now my whole back bumper is all scratched up. I just want to replace the whole thing as it is driving me crazy!! I haven't even had the car a year, and it has almost as many scratches as my old VW got in Brooklyn parked on the street.

*moan* I keep saying to myself, "I am never buying a black car again because every scratch and dirt spec shows up" Then you wash and wax it and can't dream of owning any other color.

K20A3Si
01-26-2004, 03:47 PM
i usually do a little of everything...i am taking advantage of being at a honda dealership...i am gettin gmy feet wet doing everything....and yes you can replac ethe bumper.....go with the typr-r bumper...;)

SiR_d1
01-26-2004, 04:35 PM
I had this same problem as well

Sweet02Si
01-26-2004, 08:44 PM
I had this problem for the last 2 winters. It is a bitch to try to get it open when its so cold out.