PDA

View Full Version : Who has better fit & finish on hoods

2QK4U ALLWAYS
01-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Like the tittle says who has better fit and finish on Carbon fiber hoods VIS or Seibon. Those are the two that I'm comparing. If anyone has another opinion please says so I'm looking to spend $400 to $500 on the hood. I like the mugen or buddy club styles or the monster style. Please give your input.
Thank you

George

I need it urgently as I crushed my hood and passanger headlight.

Ps: If anyone wants to sell passenger side light let me know thanks

Btrthnezr3
01-09-2004, 08:59 AM
Can't go wrong with VIS.
If I am correct, Showstoppers has a good price and of course great service!
www.showstoppersusa.com
Good luck man!

younggotti266
01-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Btrthnezr3
Can't go wrong with VIS.

I second that....

I just got one from SS, very nice..

k20hatch
01-09-2004, 10:19 AM
SS...Ordering my mugen wing today!! Cant wait!

k20ephatch
01-09-2004, 07:23 PM
does the VIS hoods need hood pins?

Stupendous Man
01-10-2004, 01:21 AM
hey 2qk4u, you got a PM about the headlight :D

pedzola
01-10-2004, 11:47 AM
I have a passenger side headlight in perfect/new condition. Damaged driver side in accident when my car was brand new, but passenger light escaped unscathed. Have CTR headlight box and packing material to ship it in. There aren't even any bugs on this headlight! :D

New ones are about $305 but I'd be willing to take considerably less than that. Make an offer. I also sent you a PM. Thanks.

- Chris

SUNEBOY
01-10-2004, 03:55 PM
check this option out for the headlight...
http://www.robearracing.com/pd_honda_civic_2002up.cfm
and as for the Hood ...I personaly have a "monster" but i got it on ebay for really cheap... so shop around...and it fit wonderfully hope any of that was helpful

sd_ep3
01-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by k20ephatch
does the VIS hoods need hood pins?

vis hoods dont need pins. good quality hoods. nice clear coat too!!

EMI
01-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by sd_ep3
vis hoods dont need pins. good quality hoods. nice clear coat too!!

Vis is not clear coated it is gel coated and YES you need hood pins for every fiberglassed in latch, you might not have a prob but I can name 5 people off the top of my head that has lost ViS hoods on the highway!

JapanExpress
01-12-2004, 08:29 PM
I have only heard good things about VIS. I haven't heard much of anything either way about Seibon.

sd_ep3
01-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by EMI
Vis is not clear coated it is gel coated and YES you need hood pins for every fiberglassed in latch, you might not have a prob but I can name 5 people off the top of my head that has lost ViS hoods on the highway!

damn homie!!! :mad: my bad. ok... gel coated. yeah yeah... dont trip coz i still have my shit and you friends lost theirs. they need to slow down. plus i have VIS(improved)new hoods.

EMI
01-13-2004, 04:24 PM
i was not freaking out just stating a fact because there is a big difference in gel coat and clear coat. Clear coat is 200% better but more exspensive.

STP03BlueSI
01-14-2004, 01:21 PM
VIS makes Really good hoods! My girl has had a Vis on her Eclipse for a year now and it still looks great!@:D

Kis4KEN
01-15-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Btrthnezr3
Can't go wrong with VIS.
If I am correct, Showstoppers has a good price and of course great service!
www.showstoppersusa.com
Good luck man!

my VIS hood is fading... its bullshit. i bought mine used so i don't think there's any kind of warrenty

ep3hatchattack
01-20-2004, 01:06 AM
Two things....

1st.... is anyone elses hood fading yet because this is the first that i have heard of for a newer Vis......

2nd.... on the new hoods, lets say i go 120mph once in a while, should i get hood pins??

Thanks guys, dave

dofu
01-20-2004, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by ep3hatchattack
Two things....

1st.... is anyone elses hood fading yet because this is the first that i have heard of for a newer Vis......

2nd.... on the new hoods, lets say i go 120mph once in a while, should i get hood pins??

Thanks guys, dave

cant tell you bout the first one yet... i jus hear you gotta wax it good, and you wont have to worry about the fading. and for the second one... how about i get back to you on that one tomorrow?

btw... anyone kno anything bout the trunks? about how durable they are?

dofu
01-20-2004, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by EMI
i was not freaking out just stating a fact because there is a big difference in gel coat and clear coat. Clear coat is 200% better but more exspensive.

eh... well... depends on which clearcoat you talkin about... actually, im hearin that the gelcoat vis uses is a lot better than a lot of the clearcoats out there... you can even ask my bodyshop (who's seen tons of carbon fiber products installed)
btw... even they've been suggesting that vis is the name to buy. dont kno bout other ppl... but my hood seems pretty nice... great quality, great finish. but then again... i havent had a chance to loose it yet either! lol.
hear many great things about vis, never heard anything about seibon

ep3hatchattack
01-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Same here. I have heard nothing but great things except for kis4ken, but other than that it sounds like it will be great!

dofu
01-21-2004, 04:16 AM
well... i dont mean to give vis hella credit then turn around and take it all away, but im hearin that about 1 out of 30 vis hoods will flip open like that... but if you kno any other vis cf hood owners, compare ours with theirs... ours is actually made a lot better, so im not worryin about that at all... but then again, i do have that kind of luck!!!

Kis4KEN
01-21-2004, 08:53 PM
i've had the mugen style hood from showstoppers usa, and now i have the vis hood. its not as good as everyone says... i mean, everyone says VIS IS THE BEST. so do the speed shops. but me... my VIS CF HOOD is FADING. yes its real (there is the vis emblem on the bottom). Grade A, Grade AA... blah blah blah... i think its all bullshit. even though my mugen style cf hood was from showstoppers, it didn't fade... unlike the one from VIS.

VIS = BULLSHIT

fishboy
01-22-2004, 02:11 PM
fiber images is the best but it's $$$$$$$$ vis is bleh. i don't like how it's wavy.

Si Death
01-22-2004, 04:51 PM
i've had the mugen style hood from showstoppers usa, and now i have the vis hood. its not as good as everyone says... i mean, everyone says VIS IS THE BEST. so do the speed shops. but me... my VIS CF HOOD is FADING. yes its real (there is the vis emblem on the bottom). Grade A, Grade AA... blah blah blah... i think its all bullshit. even though my mugen style cf hood was from showstoppers, it didn't fade... unlike the one from VIS.

isnt the hood from showstoppers usa made by vis???? or is it some other company????

Peking
02-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Si Death
isnt the hood from showstoppers usa made by vis???? or is it some other company????

Mine says VIS on it.

IIx 03 EP xII
02-07-2004, 09:43 AM
i agree with fishboy... fiberimages. go to their site and watch the tests they do on their hoods... its crazy. but i dont know how much they cost. i know their lip kit was expensive!!!

EMI
02-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by dofu
eh... well... depends on which clearcoat you talkin about... actually, im hearin that the gelcoat vis uses is a lot better than a lot of the clearcoats out there... you can even ask my bodyshop (who's seen tons of carbon fiber products installed)
btw... even they've been suggesting that vis is the name to buy. dont kno bout other ppl... but my hood seems pretty nice... great quality, great finish. but then again... i havent had a chance to loose it yet either! lol.
hear many great things about vis, never heard anything about seibon

There really is no gel coat that is better then Clear Coat. The gel coat ViS uses is just normal marine uv protected gel coat they just talk up. They do wet sand and buff all their stuff which a lot of other comanies do not do which would make their gel coat look better but because they do that it becomes thin which is what makes it fade which people are having a problem with, you can not lay gel coat thick because it will crack when you pop from the mold.

dofu
02-08-2004, 05:56 AM
EMI... i kno that you're makin carbon fiber parts and all, so im not questioning your knowledge with carbon fiber itself, but im jus wonderin... how you kno so much about the other companies manufacturing processes and such so well?

tpao
02-08-2004, 07:39 AM
If you're looking for a hood, contact Justin at MMRUSA (888-542-3626). Tell him that referred you and he should take care of you. We deal with Fiber Images.
MMRUSA (http://www.mmrusa.com)

The VIS hood is a nice fit and DOES NOT need hood pins.