PDA

View Full Version : Gear shifter replaced, shifts still notchy

SiRman
01-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Just had my gear shifter assy. replaced under warranty.
My shifts felt notchy, and the assembly was loose.
Thought my problem would be solved, but it's not.
Takes way too much pressure to move the shifter.

I have had the 1-2 grind at high rpm a few times before, but hasn't happened in a long time. My transmission fluid was changed (At Honda) after having the for six months. I have 45000km now.

Any one else have similar problems.

ny-quiL
01-09-2004, 07:50 PM
yea i have the whole 2nd to 3rd grind problem, feels and sounds like a mis shift if i am above 4k when i put it into 3rd. Im guessing the syncro is shot, but havnt had a chance to take it into honda, this weekend hopefully - did your dealer give you a hard time about replacing that shit?

k20whiteboi269
01-09-2004, 08:49 PM
ive been noticing that 2nd and 3rd gear grind also. i just dont feel like having to fight with them about warranty coverage. im also wondering what you said to the service dept. that made them repair under warranty. i dont want to have to get all pissed when i go there.

Loudpedal
01-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Moving the lever to 2nd seems a little crunchy, the rest of the cogs seem o.k. Not bad enough to get it serviced, but I'll keep an eye on it.

ep pilot
01-10-2004, 12:11 AM
My question for you is....now that your shifter assy has been replaced, does the shifter assy feel tighter? I had my tranny replaced two months ago and my crunchy, grinding miss-shifting Ep3 shifts buttery smooth and effortless and I

SiRman
01-10-2004, 01:49 PM
My shifter shaft was loose where it attaches to the plastic ball at the bottom. There was some play so the shifter shaft would move before the ball started to move. It made a plastic creaking sound.

The loose play is gone but the shifting is still notchy, requires quite a bit of force to pull the shifter into new gear. But the gears do not grind. Third to forth is the most noticeable. If fact if I am in neutral and try to pull the shifter down to fourth it takes way too much force.

I didn't say anything in particular to get them to cover it.
Brought it in said it was notchy and creaking and they ordered a new shifter assy, as well as my clutch master cyl. because it was hooped too.

SiRman
01-11-2004, 01:41 AM
Anyone else have a notchy shifter?

priest6479
01-11-2004, 07:29 AM
Only when it's cold out, I take off in the morning, you would think the shifter would break off in my hand I use that much force to get into gear, once it warms up it shifts pretty nice.

But I have noticed alot notchyness (if there is a such a word) as well.

FckdUpPup
01-11-2004, 06:17 PM
My only problem with the shifter is 2nd to 3rd shifts. I am noticing that the higher the RPM's the harder it is to shift. Other than that everything is fine.

Spent198
01-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Well, must be a Honda problem. A lot of people are having problems with the RSX Type-S shifting from 2nd to third. We have acctually started a petition with over 500 signatures. I suppose there is not much to be done considering Acura continues to ignore the problem. :mad:

Mugen Power
01-12-2004, 12:32 PM
Going into 1, 2, and 3 are notchy for me. 4 and 5 are decent, not buttery smooth though.

SiRman
01-12-2004, 10:14 PM
4th and 5th seem to be the most notchy for me.
My problem is not related to engine or road speed.
Seems like it is the shifter itself as opposed to the gears.

Mugen Power
01-13-2004, 05:19 AM
Same here. When I took it in to the dealer for the 3rd time and the tech drove it, he said it'll be notchy when you shift past or while speed shifting. I told him that it happens no matter how you drive it (cuz that guy was driving my car like a maniac) and he didn't have anything to say to that...