PDA

View Full Version : smoking turbo

n8dawgsmu
01-10-2004, 12:07 AM
ok i installed my turbo today. i have a code 14. 2 times when i started it it had a fast blinking continious led. also my check engine light came on.... has that been happening with the code 14? next i have quite a bit of smoke coming from the turbo header downpipe area. i can't pinpoint it. could it be just the heat wrap cloth getting hot and the powder coating wearing off the new parts? Someone please let me know so i can drive my damn car.

n8dawgsmu
01-10-2004, 12:34 AM
you don't have to be right but i need opinions

n8dawgsmu
01-10-2004, 12:51 AM
by the way the smoke doesn't come out till it has been sitting at idle for about a full minute, then it comes out for a while after i turn the car off. i only let it idle for about 2-3 min, then stopped it and turned it back on later and drove around the block about 5 times and it was still doing it.

beansbear
01-10-2004, 01:39 AM
most of it sounds normal
sorry i wasnt here.
burning is probably the manifold just breaking in
it will turn a toasty white in the end...

n8dawgsmu
01-10-2004, 12:08 PM
ok here is the deal the smoke went away the smell is still there but thats to be expected even my haeder did that.

!!!!!!!!i have a miss-fire in cylinder 1 and cylinder 2!!!!!!! anyone want to help trouble shoot this with me. i checked my wiring and it all loooks good, the missfire is what is causing the blinking check engine light!!!!!!! someone tell me what i should do my wiring looks solid and is soldiered real well. i triple checked the ecm injector 1 and injector 2 wire plus the injector grounds. the blinking starts when i hit 3100 rpms i think.

02SilverSiHB
01-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by n8dawgsmu
ok here is the deal the smoke went away the smell is still there but thats to be expected even my haeder did that.

!!!!!!!!i have a miss-fire in cylinder 1 and cylinder 2!!!!!!! anyone want to help trouble shoot this with me. i checked my wiring and it all loooks good, the missfire is what is causing the blinking check engine light!!!!!!! someone tell me what i should do my wiring looks solid and is soldiered real well. i triple checked the ecm injector 1 and injector 2 wire plus the injector grounds. the blinking starts when i hit 3100 rpms i think.
also check your spark plugs...and connections...because you replaced those right? sorry, only thing I can think of :confused:

beansbear
01-10-2004, 01:38 PM
did you reset your ecu?
what are the settings on your emanage unit like?
open up the emanage.. use the hex wrench and remove the plate that says not street legal blah blah...
make sure the settings are 4-8-E

triple check your wiring.. make sure all connections are soldered.

recheck your injector soldering and be sure you changed your sparkplugs.

beansbear
01-10-2004, 01:43 PM
i would get either the greddy #7 plugs or STOCK RSX type S iridium NGK plugs from Acura. my local dealer doesnt have them and they are BANK! $26 bucks each.... can any of you get them cheaper???

02SilverSiHB
01-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by beansbear
i would get either the greddy #7 plugs or STOCK RSX type S iridium NGK plugs from Acura. my local dealer doesnt have them and they are BANK! $26 bucks each.... can any of you get them cheaper???
I think he has the ones for the typs s...at least that's what the part number he gave seemed to be

beansbear
01-10-2004, 01:49 PM
then that should be fine... just make sure they are tight in the socket.

kenji mentioned that some people installed the spark plugs incorrectly and some were lose!!!

n8dawgsmu
01-10-2004, 01:57 PM
the spark plugs were tight when i checked them, the harnesses were on good fot the plug boots, but when i pulled the plugs the cylinder one plug was still in like new shape while the other 3 were white on the spark rod. i think that must mean the cylinder 1 spark plug was either not firing or not getting fuel?> any thoughts. if the first injector is not wired right would fuel still get through the injector or would it be shut off? i re pulled all of the tape on the wire and double checked them again they are all soldiered so tight i would have to struggle to get them to come apart. i triple checked the emanage injectors 1-4 and the inj ground

02SilverSiHB
01-10-2004, 02:02 PM
the spark plugs were tight when i checked them, the harnesses were on good fot the plug boots, but when i pulled the plugs the cylinder one plug was still in like new shape while the other 3 were white on the spark rod. i think that must mean the cylinder 1 spark plug was either not firing or not getting fuel?> any thoughts. if the first injector is not wired right would fuel still get through the injector or would it be shut off? i re pulled all of the tape on the wire and double checked them again they are all soldiered so tight i would have to struggle to get them to come apart. i triple checked the emanage injectors 1-4 and the inj ground
sounds like your not getting fuel...it must have something to do with the wiring...I hope :eek: :confused: like you said, it looks clean and new, like nothing has happened to it. I'd keep checking...sorry I'm not much help

n8dawgsmu
01-10-2004, 02:30 PM
ok i just swapped plugs and idle the car for a little bit, it seemed like it was still missing. when i went to pull the plugs and see if anything had changed my first spark plug coil the part that is inbetween the harness and the sparkplug was completely fried, the bottom of it melted and the wires are all loose..... omg i have no idea what the hell happened there was smoke in it and the piece was soooo hot.... someone please please help.

02SilverSiHB
01-10-2004, 02:59 PM
ok i just swapped plugs and idle the car for a little bit, it seemed like it was still missing. when i went to pull the plugs and see if anything had changed my first spark plug coil the part that is inbetween the harness and the sparkplug was completely fried, the bottom of it melted and the wires are all loose..... omg i have no idea what the hell happened there was smoke in it and the piece was soooo hot.... someone please please help.
I wonder if that smell you were smelling was that harness melting...is this the stock wiring that has melted? no way to redo those wires...maybe get some new wires and soder them on to replace what was fried?

beansbear
01-10-2004, 03:20 PM
sorry i was out for a while...
well i dunno what to tell you but i think you will either need to redo those wires or get a whole new set... that is why your car is not firing on cylinder one.
Fix it before you start it up again.

n8dawgsmu
01-10-2004, 04:01 PM
it is not the wires. sorry if i msipoke, the wire harness connects to what i believe is called a coil stack that coonnects directly to the sparkplugs. unlike other cars the ep3 has no spark plug wires, it has 4 individual coils that connect directly to the plug, the coil is what is melted and fried and smoking.

02SilverSiHB
01-10-2004, 04:29 PM
it is not the wires. sorry if i msipoke, the wire harness connects to what i believe is called a coil stack that coonnects directly to the sparkplugs. unlike other cars the ep3 has no spark plug wires, it has 4 individual coils that connect directly to the plug, the coil is what is melted and fried and smoking.
oh fucky fucky...I'm not sure how the internal part of that is, but is it just regular wires in that part? if not, then you have to order a replacement, and I'm not sure if it's individual...how did this happen?

n8dawgsmu
01-10-2004, 04:59 PM
could it be possible for the cylinder to be misfirirng and then get extra hot because there was no fuel in it and then melt that coil/????

02SilverSiHB
01-10-2004, 05:17 PM
could it be possible for the cylinder to be misfirirng and then get extra hot because there was no fuel in it and then melt that coil/????
wait, are you saying this coil?

I was thinking you were talking about the wires coming out of it
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S5S01_E05.gif

n8dawgsmu
01-10-2004, 07:07 PM
yes the part between the plug ant the bolt at the top of the assembly that is correct, anyone that can tell me how it fried well i owe you alot... do you think it is because of the misfire... also it has fuel coming out of the injector because when i cranked it without the spark plug fuel came out.

Zero Three Si
01-10-2004, 07:18 PM
yes the part between the plug ant the bolt at the top of the assembly that is correct, anyone that can tell me how it fried well i owe you alot... do you think it is because of the misfire... also it has fuel coming out of the injector because when i cranked it without the spark plug fuel came out.

You got a serious problem soldier...I suggest you take it to an import shop. I don't know much about turbos...but I would think if left alone...some of the internals could get fried.

02SilverSiHB
01-11-2004, 10:42 AM
sounds like you wired something wrong...like backwards and it caused the misfiring/coil to melt. Also sounds like your injector was working, just that the coil wasn't working correctly and burnt up....you might have done something wrong when putting that coil back on...you can buy a new one from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com if a dealer doesn't have them in stock.

n8dawgsmu
01-11-2004, 11:43 AM
ok tell me if this is possible, maybe i didn't think about it but this could have happened. i pulled the coil up off the plug just after driving the car(hoping to see maybe smoke or something from combustion) but what i think happened and a few mechanics have agreed is that i may have had a lean misfire that caused cylinder one to run very hot, then after warming the car up quite a bit and immediately trying to pull the coil off the plug actually seperated because the bonding agent between the two pieces of the coil just got to hot? possible|???!!!??? ill post pics later.

siver-SI
01-11-2004, 11:51 AM
ok tell me if this is possible, maybe i didn't think about it but this could have happened. i pulled the coil up off the plug just after driving the car(hoping to see maybe smoke or something from combustion) but what i think happened and a few mechanics have agreed is that i may have had a lean misfire that caused cylinder one to run very hot, then after warming the car up quite a bit and immediately trying to pull the coil off the plug actually seperated because the bonding agent between the two pieces of the coil just got to hot? possible|???!!!??? ill post pics later.

Well when you are dealing with anything electronic anything can happen. I would say that is very possible. Get a spark tester. They are very cheap. All you do is you put the tester between the coil and the plug and it will show you if the coil pack is good or not. You can even do this with a multimeter too. I would say try it and see what happens, If it is all ready fired you do not have much to lose in testing as long as you are not running the car.