PDA

View Full Version : how does one do carbon fiber and fiberglass molding?

rs_1101
01-10-2004, 04:37 PM
wellllll.? i took a trip to ace hardware and picked up some resin, fiberglass and a respirator and some other assorted crap and i was wondering if anyone can give ANY pointers on how to make moldings and assorted bodyparts, or maybe something i need that i forgot?

ANY help will be appreciated!!

BSEVEER
01-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Good luck!:cool:

rs_1101
01-11-2004, 02:13 AM
well i got a huge sheet of fiberglass cloth, im gonna dick around with it and play with shapes.. i just laid out my first 12"x2" strip to see how strong it is. im realizing im going to need clay and release wax soon tho. what im really curious about is lightweight fabrication and such.. well i kno someone will help me someday

Littledragon77
01-16-2004, 11:15 AM
wish someone out there would tell us how. instead of paying out the ass to have it done by someone else.

ATRIOT
01-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Here ya go! Order the Vid's and good luck!
http://www.selectproducts.com/frameindex.htm

STP03BlueSI
01-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by ATRIOT
Here ya go! Order the Vid's and good luck!
http://www.selectproducts.com/frameindex.htm

Thats a expensive hobby. :eek:

oldschoolimport
01-22-2004, 03:58 AM
one of my friends builds fiberglass items out of sweatshirt material and soaks it in resin. you can staple the cloth to boards or whatever and build seamless speaker boxes. the sweatshirt cloth can be used as the only layer, but I would recommend over-laying real fiberglass. also, only get the weaved fiberglass, not the shredded glass sheets. the weaved fiberglass looks like white carbon fiber. it is much stronger than the shredded sheeting.

Vertigo
01-22-2004, 04:05 AM
Select Products makes the best stuff for fiberglass and ABS work!
Expensive but good.

EMI
01-25-2004, 07:06 PM
I make carbon and fiberglass stuff a living so if you have questions you can PM me if you like

03Civ-Bomb
01-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Im in the Marines and i work w/ fiberglass, kevlar, carbon fiber and other composites on a daily basis. When i work w/ these we have a 2 part kit to use w/ them, and you have a specific ratio you must use. If you dont get the ratio right, and you mix it hot, you can burn the resin and then ruin your project, and if you mix it w/ not enough part a or b, then it wont cure right and your project is ruined. but when you get it right, it makes for a real strong finish. Im not sure if the kits you buy in the hardware store are anything like the ones i use, but im sure i can give you some advice about it, so pm me and ill be glad to help.

EMI
01-26-2004, 09:06 AM
it all depends on the materials you are using and they type of resin you are using as well to get the right mixing ratio. You really can't burn your resin. You can mix things too hot and warp your molds and if you mix too hat you will create air bubbles as well. Make sure you got the right epoxy because some are for adheasive and others is for laminating and that is what you need, the laminating. If you need materials shot me a PM cause I have hundreds of yards of different types of carbon and fiberglass I could sell yeah pretty cheap. You are going to want to learn with fiberglass first because that is realativly cheap. Be picky with your materials. You go cheap and generic and your product will show it!

rs_1101
01-26-2004, 10:05 AM
yea ive been practicing with fiberglass for now

Kis4KEN
02-05-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by rs_1101
yea ive been practicing with fiberglass for now

this saturday, i'm gonna attempt to make custom fiberglass sub enclosure. gonna try to make the enclosure to look clean with only one 12" alpine type r sub and one small amp. lol. i'll post up pics when i'm done