PDA

View Full Version : Spoon (SYSTEM LAYOUT) engine & exhaust

Chinaboy
01-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Now i have a question... I juss realized what the heck I got myself into and now its too late. I finally learned the difference between a catback "full" exhaust and a "axelback" what I bought. And now since I bought a Spoon street type "axelback" I was wondering if spending 500 dollars on a full "catback" greddy evo compared to paying 660 on a "part" of a exhaust system was a stupid move... but either way Im sticking with spoon, juss will take a longer time to save and work longer to make it happen. So now I brought the "axelback"... is the next from spoon a b pipe? is this a midpipe that everyone is talking about? Then how about headers? Spoon makes 4in2 421 and 2in1... which one am I buying? or am i buying all of them? What is the best spoon setup for our car? I can't find any answers on the search.

lastly the N1 or this... on spoon website and most retailers, they say EP3 Civic TYPE R, not Civic Si (USDM). so what do I need to somehow modify the axelback to fit with the cat? AND Lastly do I need to buy a new cat like a sports one? Or does the B pipe come with a cat?

SiRman
01-11-2004, 01:38 AM
Starting from the rear, the N1 bolts directly to the Midpipe(b-pipe).
It has stock honda flanges, so it bolts right up to the stock midpipe, or any midpipe you have made at a muffler shop designed to work with the stock muffler. I'm sure the street style axle back is the same.
The midpipe(b-pipe) goes from the axleback/stock muffler to the cat.
The Spoon b-pipe is designed for the CTR and wil not fit our cars.
That is where the T1R b-pipe comes in. It was created for this very reason. If you are not into the price tag of the T1R b-pipe get one made at your local muffler shop.

The Spoon headers are also designed for CTR, exactly why they don't fit I'm not sure, possibly a sway bar issue.
Some afrtermarket headers are designed to bolt up with the stock cat,
and other uses a test pipe and eliminate the cat all together.

Header===Cat(or test pipe)===midpipe===axleback

rs_1101
01-11-2004, 02:22 AM
in slightly simpler terms, get a 2" or 2.25 inch b pipe made at your local muffler shop for +-100$.

Chinaboy
01-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by SiRman
The Spoon headers are also designed for CTR, exactly why they don't fit I'm not sure, possibly a sway bar issue.
Some afrtermarket headers are designed to bolt up with the stock cat,
and other uses a test pipe and eliminate the cat all together.

Header===Cat(or test pipe)===midpipe===axleback

SiRman, what do you mean it is a sway bar issue? you mean we can take out our stock one? do we even have a sway bar? then we could install it?

And then is it important for us to buy another cat? who makes sport cats for our cars? or does it come with a b pipe when I order it?

mugen_ep3
01-11-2004, 03:39 PM
chinaboy, the reason why the spoon headers would not fit is b/c our motor the k20a3 has a different head bolt pattern from the k20a and a2. and also the ctr and itr headers or a two piece design not a one piece like our stock ones. figuring that the toda headers where meant for the dc5 itr and the sway bars are different from the rsx type s and also the ep3 kindof share the same platform as the rsx that is what i think sirman was trying to say. if you have a k20a or a2 swapped into your car than you can get the bottom 2 into 1 piece. but the 4 in 2 wouldnt fit cause the jdm headers has i think something that connects it to the sway bar. but there is a solution to this problem toda racing made a sway bar that is pretter thick i think 25mm and is made specifically for us model cars like the ep3 and dc5

there is no need to buy a new cat unless you are looking for more performance than get a high flow cat.

and no it does not come with a b-pipe

hope i helped answer your question and problems

myeverlovinsir
01-11-2004, 03:47 PM
the reason why the spoon headers would not fit is b/c our motor the k20a3 has a different head bolt pattern from the k20a and a2.

Really? I wonder how my engine went back together?

rs_1101
01-11-2004, 04:35 PM
when they say sway bar issue they still refer to the different exhaust layouts. in the rear sway, it arcs up to allow the exhaust b pipe through. the differece between the a3(ep) exhaust and a2(rsx-s) exhaust is more than sways tho. the hangars are different as well. both systems are very different from eachother. once again id recommend getting a custom b pipe section and only buy a header thats prescribed for the US ep or base RSX maybe.

Chinaboy
01-11-2004, 05:16 PM
thanks mugen_ep that has definatly helped me to understand it better. haha the owner of Hondawerx IMed me to answer my question, I thoighti was nice of him, the guys name is jeff... cool guy, thanks for all the help guys it is very useful... still learning abotu my car i guess.

Chinaboy
01-11-2004, 06:22 PM
this is sorta off post topic, but how come I got stars on this post?

02SilverSiHB
01-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by mugen_ep3
chinaboy, the reason why the spoon headers would not fit is b/c our motor the k20a3 has a different head bolt pattern from the k20a and a2. and also the ctr and itr headers or a two piece design not a one piece like our stock ones. figuring that the toda headers where meant for the dc5 itr and the sway bars are different from the rsx type s and also the ep3 kindof share the same platform as the rsx that is what i think sirman was trying to say. if you have a k20a or a2 swapped into your car than you can get the bottom 2 into 1 piece. but the 4 in 2 wouldnt fit cause the jdm headers has i think something that connects it to the sway bar. but there is a solution to this problem toda racing made a sway bar that is pretter thick i think 25mm and is made specifically for us model cars like the ep3 and dc5

there is no need to buy a new cat unless you are looking for more performance than get a high flow cat.

and no it does not come with a b-pipe

hope i helped answer your question and problems
a header from a type s or dc5r will fit our engine...it just doesn't have the same bolt on pattern at the downpipe.
As for the b pipe not fitting from spoon, I believe it's because of the ctr not having a catalytic converter...I believe...either way, it won't work.

So get the T1R midpipe and you'll be set...but you'll have one expensive exhaust system! :eek: 600 spoon, the 380 midpipe= 980 bucks for an exhaust!

As for the sway bar thing, yes, our cars have sway bars. When you get a different exhaust, it has a bigger diameter and can hit the sway sometimes...nothing bad, but you'll hate the sound of it smacking the sway.
But I haven't heard of this happening with the n1 from spoon, which is the only part that could possibly hit the sway.

02SilverSiHB
01-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Chinaboy
this is sorta off post topic, but how come I got stars on this post?
the more stars the better the post, the less stars the more the post sucks...no stars...no one voted...you can vote at the bottom of the post

ImPo Skyline
01-11-2004, 10:41 PM
ill need to get you guys pics,

i have the dc header, an e-bay generic cat bypass (i dont know what to call it, a downpipe, or a cat bypass sence its just a stright thru pipe) the spoon sport CTR B-pipe, and the N1 style spoon axle back.

all it took was a 2" extension on the output end of the cat bypass or stock cat. sence the CTR has a diffrent header the USDM cat sits where the JDM downpipe would be.
(again i dont know the correct terms for these pipes so try not to bust my balls) haha...

ill try and get some pics tomorow.

02SilverSiHB
01-11-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by ImPo Skyline
ill need to get you guys pics,

i have the dc header, an e-bay generic cat bypass (i dont know what to call it, a downpipe, or a cat bypass sence its just a stright thru pipe) the spoon sport CTR B-pipe, and the N1 style spoon axle back.

all it took was a 2" extension on the output end of the cat bypass or stock cat. sence the CTR has a diffrent header the USDM cat sits where the JDM downpipe would be.
(again i dont know the correct terms for these pipes so try not to bust my balls) haha...

ill try and get some pics tomorow.
ah! sweet, thanks for the info and clearing that up.

ImPo Skyline
01-12-2004, 12:59 AM
No problem man, ill rush on those pictures. asap!

mugen_ep3
01-12-2004, 10:00 AM
sorry if i was incorrect on some of the things ive put down. but thank you for clearing up somethings for me.

myeverlovinsir i meant exhaust head bolt. not the main head bolt.

but if i am wrong please correct me. i got that info long time ago when i post as spoon_ep3 if the spoon headers would fit on our ep3 and somebody replied no.

02SilverSiHB
01-12-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by mugen_ep3
sorry if i was incorrect on some of the things ive put down. but thank you for clearing up somethings for me.

myeverlovinsir i meant exhaust head bolt. not the main head bolt.

but if i am wrong please correct me. i got that info long time ago when i post as spoon_ep3 if the spoon headers would fit on our ep3 and somebody replied no.
yeah the type s header will fit our engine, but it just doesn't bolt up correctly at the downpipe/cat

For instance when some ep3 owners bought a type s, the engine came with a stock type s header on it. But they had an aftermarket one and wanted to use that, plus, if they use the aftermarket one, it will bolt right up to the down pipe...so they just took the aftermarket one from the ep and through it on the type s motor so it bolted right up with no exhaust modifications

Btrthnezr3
01-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Sorry for jacking the thread...but I'm wondering...If I were to get a header...which one(s) will still bolt up to the cat? and not utilize a 02 sim thingy?
I'd like to...at some point in the far future...to have a header but want to maintain the cat even though it hurts performance and then I suppose a full catback exhaust?
I dunno if I'm just rambling...just trying to clarify some things because if I do mod my car...I want icebox, header, stock cat, exhaust... (full catback covers midpipe and axel back right?)

Okies...sowy...anybody know!?

Chinaboy
01-12-2004, 01:10 PM
so if SOMEHOW i can get myself a Type R EP3 cat, then we would have no problems with the b pipe connections due to the length of the pipe?

rs_1101
01-12-2004, 10:40 PM
i dont trust o2 sims for the ep yet. the a3 has no mass air sensor, its all emissions driven, so alot of people with test pipes and o2 sims are having alot of motor problems

ImPo Skyline
01-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Here are the pics of my CTR spoon catback and USDM catbypass, and header.

ImPo Skyline
01-13-2004, 12:49 AM
This is the modifacation needed to use the CTR catback system

ImPo Skyline
01-13-2004, 12:51 AM
b-pipe (dirty)

ImPo Skyline
01-13-2004, 12:53 AM
axleback n-1

Chinaboy
01-13-2004, 03:17 AM
good deal IMPO, that is some good stuff, thanks for sharing, yeah so i talk to my mechanic today, and he says the b-pipe is not able to fit without a minor adjustment, so we proved that today... he recommended USDM si guys to get the DC5 header to avoid sway bar issue, and to fit a JDM EP3 type R cat is do able, but not good because you will not beable to pass emssions. This is under the circumstance that all parts are spoon parts and we are talking about legal street adjusted EP3, not track adjusted.

dustinhurley
01-13-2004, 12:25 PM
I have a Fujitsubo cat back, made for the CTR. I bought a used OEM exhaust manifold and a cat from an RSX Type-S for like $80. The entire exhaust system bolted together perfectly. If that helps anyone.

Chinaboy
01-14-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by dustinhurley
I have a Fujitsubo cat back, made for the CTR. I bought a used OEM exhaust manifold and a cat from an RSX Type-S for like $80. The entire exhaust system bolted together perfectly. If that helps anyone.

a cat from a usdm type s RSX eh? interesting.