PDA

View Full Version : Front Sway Install??

Lucid Moments
01-11-2004, 08:54 AM
I'm going to be installing a Progress Front Sway bar in a couple of hours. Anybody got any suggestions?

I searched and couldn't find an install.

EP3ME
01-11-2004, 09:32 AM
Yeah... send it back! It's totally unnecessary!!!:cool:

Peking
01-11-2004, 09:42 AM
You going to take it to your shop your friend owns? Cause that way you can easily install it with tension. Do you have a rear sway? If you do, it is pretty much the same install. Might take you a minute getting the bar sitting right.

Good luck!

Lucid Moments
01-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Peking
You going to take it to your shop your friend owns? Cause that way you can easily install it with tension. Do you have a rear sway? If you do, it is pretty much the same install. Might take you a minute getting the bar sitting right.

Good luck!

Thanks, Yea I'm doing it at the shop. I've got the progress rear sway, and I hope it is easier than putting that on cause there is no reinforcing plate on the front like there is on the rear.

DarkHatch
01-11-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by EP3ME
Yeah... send it back! It's totally unnecessary!!!:cool:

Lol!! are you on drugs?

I've got them on my car. Front was alot easier. The only pain abot the is that you have to pull out the exhaut, but it's not a big deal:)

Peking
01-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by mlkelley68
Thanks, Yea I'm doing it at the shop. I've got the progress rear sway, and I hope it is easier than putting that on cause there is no reinforcing plate on the front like there is on the rear.

Damnit :mad: I knew you had a rear sway (that you and Hondaman installed). Man I am getting old :( Mike this is off-topic, but I will be booking my room tomorrow.

Lucid Moments
01-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by DarkHatch
Lol!! are you on drugs?

I've got them on my car. Front was alot easier. The only pain abot the is that you have to pull out the exhaut, but it's not a big deal:)

When you say pull it out, do you mean take it off completely? Or just disconnect from somewhere (cat probably?) and work around it?

EP3ME
01-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Re: Lol!! are you on drugs?

No... I'm not on drugs! Everyone who is racing these cars is leaving the front alone and beefing up the rear because of the massive understeer of the stock EP. I've been racing for 25 years and I think I know a thing or two about suspension set up. If you don't believe me talk to King Motorsports - they don't even bother to make a front sway bar primarily because, "it is totally unnecessary"! Do you know what you're talking about or are you just buying something because it's out there?
:p

Lucid Moments
01-11-2004, 11:05 AM
Damnit :mad: I knew you had a rear sway (that you and Hondaman installed). Man I am getting old :( Mike this is off-topic, but I will be booking my room tomorrow.

If you are getting old, then what the hell does that make me?:( :D
You booking at La Quinta Inn Orlando Airport West?

Lucid Moments
01-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Re: Lol!! are you on drugs?

No... I'm not on drugs! Everyone who is racing these cars is leaving the front alone and beefing up the rear because of the massive understeer of the stock EP. I've been racing for 25 years and I think I know a thing or two about suspension set up. If you don't believe me talk to King Motorsports - they don't even bother to make a front sway bar primarily because, "it is totally unnecessary"! Do you know what you're talking about or are you just buying something because it's out there?
:p

I'm not racing the car. I hope to go to some auto-x's in the future, but who knows. I will grant that the car is set up to understeer. I'm assuming the reason Honda (and almost every other manufacturer) does that is that it is safer. I know it is not as fast, but I'm used to a car that understeers some and want to keep my car that way, just with less body roll.

EP3ME
01-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Fair enough... talk to King though, I think it is more important to have a good rear sway bar than the front.:cool:

Peking
01-11-2004, 11:39 AM
Fair enough... talk to King though, I think it is more important to have a good rear sway bar than the front.:cool:

I see where you are coming from, front sway is not on my list to do. There are members here who were not impressed with a front sway. Does hold some bling factor though :cool:

Originally posted by mlkelley68
If you are getting old, then what the hell does that make me?:( :D
You booking at La Quinta Inn Orlando Airport West?

Yeah, I was going to book through Expedia.

Zero Three Si
01-11-2004, 11:45 AM
The front sway bar is already pretty beefy (25mm) I think. I just checked mine out yesterday when I was rotating my tires. Looks and feels sufficient to me.

I have the type S sway bar on mine and I love how I can slide the ass end of the car around corners.

If anything, I'd say get a strut tower bar if you want to stabelize the front more.

glw
01-11-2004, 12:53 PM
stock front sway may be big but i believe it is hollow...

i have both front and rear progress sways with eibach sportlines and neuspeed stb's. the car seemed to push quite a bit until i added -2 degrees of camber up front. now it's neutral and all four tires stay planted... not like a pissing dog...

i'm happy with mine! hope you enjoy yours as much as i do...

myeverlovinsir
01-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Front sway is not something I would consider a benificial mod, that's just me. As some of you mentioned, the rear is where the changes are more evident and is what I did (22mm CTR). To each his/her own.;)

raiyo
01-11-2004, 02:19 PM
My input on front sway installation. It is alot harder than the rear sway installation. I was able to install the rear myself, no problems. As for the front, I thought it was easy, but it wasn't. I had to take out the cat, and unbolt the mid-pipe to remove the sway. It was my luck, when bolting back on the cat, the bolt broke. Took my buddies at the shop forever to take out.

DarkHatch
01-11-2004, 04:23 PM
To each his own, but when I got my sway bars just to see how much difference they would make. I put the rear sway bar on first, drove it around and could feel a pretty substantial difference. But then when I installed the front it made a huge difference! Not only did it help with body role, but it made the car ride so much better. It gave such a more solid an safer feeling. Especially on the highway at high speeds, and on heels it just wants to hug the road where before it felt like all the wheight was being lifted off the tires. Maybe for road course racing it might be better without a front bar, but for street and traffic driving it just makes me feel about a million times safer.

Lucid Moments
01-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Just got back from putting the front sway on. I now have Progress sways front and rear. The install went pretty smooth, no major hangups. Just disconnect the old sway (and it is definitely hollow) unbolt the cat at both ends, slide the old one out and the new one in and bolt everything back up.

I didn't have a chance to really try it out tonight, but I do think there is some improvement. Turn in feels crisper, and the car feels more planted in curves and turns. I think I'll take it up to the mountains next weekend if the weather is good and really find out how good it is. I'll you you guys know.

Peking
01-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Cool, did you do it by yourself? Did you have the ability to take some pics?

Lucid Moments
01-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Cool, did you do it by yourself? Did you have the ability to take some pics?

HondaMan and I both went down to the shop I've mentioned, and let me say, working on this stuff over your head beats the hell out of doing it on your back.

We were both working on our own stuff, but helped each other out where needed. Sorry, but I don't own a digicam. Maybe at the next meet you can crawl under my car and take some pics?:D j/k

Peking
01-11-2004, 10:35 PM
No problem, I can take some pics :D

Lucid Moments
03-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Some added thoughts on the front sway. I went to my first auto-x yesterday, and the car understeers like a pig. Sorry I doubted any of you guys. It does help with the initial turn in though, but I've gotta do something about the understeer. I can't go back to the stock one (I threw it out + I don't want to) so does anybody have any bright ideas? I don't have a front STB would that help?