PDA

View Full Version : I'm stuck, guys.... help me out

raiyo
01-11-2004, 11:01 PM
I dunno where this post should be, suspension or engine, so I'll just leave it here instead.

I'm planning on getting a Front Strut Bar for my ride. I'm thinking to change my stock air box to a SRI, to avoid the troube of removing the bar when I need to change the filter. So I need to know your input on this. Buy a SRI to avoid the trouble of removing the bar every 3-5 months or stick with the stock box? I went through a CAI, and I don't plan to buy another. I don't want a V2 or Icebox, to costy.

PROS on buying a SRI
More power = I don't care about power
Save time = No need to remove the strut bar every now and then

CONS on buying a SRI
Waste money = I rather put money on more suspension parts
Noise = Catches to much attention, and annoying

PROS with Stock Box
Save money = Always good
Less noise = I downshift alot before cornering

CONS with Stock Box
Work = Need to remove Strut Bar to change filter

Peking
01-11-2004, 11:38 PM
Get the short ram, since performance is not what you are looking for. Also it is much easier to install than a cold air intake, and cheaper too.

Trust me when I say that it isn't that noisy, and doesn't draw that much attention. Unless you lift the hood, then heads turn :D

Civicvtec1ps
01-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Go with SRI. You wont regret, i promise.

icegrill
01-12-2004, 12:03 AM
Intakes are played out:p

SoCaLep3
01-12-2004, 11:32 AM
what happend with the cai?

STP03BlueSI
01-12-2004, 11:53 AM
I have a SRI, and a Strut bar. I have cleaned the filter and removed it with out removing the bar. I also just did a Header install with the Bar still in

Btrthnezr3
01-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Do you just want intake for the 'bling' factor?
I have always between cai and sri because of the filter change/installation issues...so if/when I get an intake it'll be comptech ice box...but if you aren't buying for performance...then I'd just say keep it stock. Modded cars are nice but ain't nothin like a pristine clean stock engine compartment you know? So maybe keep the engine stock...suspension mods are always nice...
"Suspension ...the mods that just keep giving through miles and miles of turns"
Ok, so that was ghey.

In short...I vote to stay stock!

raiyo
01-12-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by SoCaLep3
what happend with the cai?

to many problems with rain. people say it is safe, since the filter is covered. BS to me, when i took out the intake from heavy rain a few weeks ago, the bumper was wet. the filter was also, so i just got chicken shit.

motomoron
01-12-2004, 03:08 PM
I got his CAI. Of course my goddamn car is still in the shop while the unresponsive pricks from Nationwide simultaneously; A. don't go to look at my car at the shop to approve painting the front bumper shell, and B. Threaten that they'll stop paying for the P.O.S. Saturn rental I'm having Oh-so-much fun abusing. Grrrrrrr...

Anyway. Raiyo is #1 in my book. The CAI was exactly as described, nice price, fast shipping.

Two thumbs for a nice guy...:winkm:

JapanExpress
01-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Noise = Catches to much attention, and annoying

Not true at all, I can drive all day long and if you were in the car I could hide the fact that I have an SRI. Also, on downshifts the intake doesn't get any louder than a stock one.

myeverlovinsir
01-12-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by raiyo
to many problems with rain. people say it is safe, since the filter is covered. BS to me, when i took out the intake from heavy rain a few weeks ago, the bumper was wet. the filter was also, so i just got chicken shit.

This is the OTHER!

Too bad, that was the only real choice you had for making noticable gains. I have traveled through some of the worst shit out there cross country and the CAI is not a worry. Shame about you being a chicken! Take any SRI and have your contientious fun. I think too many people are worried about hydrolock than need be. It's a damn car and unless your driving it into over a couple of feet of water or a river, get over it! Sheeesh. Sorry for the rant but way to much of this topic about hydrolock is overrated, period! Sure my filter has been wet but that does not mean anything.:yellm:

Peking
01-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
This is the OTHER!
Too bad, that was the only real choice you had for making noticable gains. I have traveled through some of the worst shit out there cross country and the CAI is not a worry. Shame about you being a chicken! Take any SRI and have your contientious fun. I think too many people are worried about hydrolock than need be. It's a damn car and unless your driving it into over a couple of feet of water or a river, get over it! Sheeesh. Sorry for the rant but way to much of this topic about hydrolock is overrated, period! Sure my filter has been wet but that does not mean anything.:yellm:

Agreed, I ain't scured :D

denmah
01-12-2004, 10:49 PM
ebay 20 dollar SRI.

raiyo
01-13-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by denmah
ebay 20 dollar SRI.

ebay dont sell those anymore.

oogy-boogy
01-13-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
This is the OTHER!

Exactly...

Personally, I've had both the E-Bay SRI and my Injen CAI. THe injen was actually drier and cleaner than the SRI when I inspected them for numerous reasons. If you look at our engine bay, you'll see that the wheel wells are exposed to the engine bay. Regardless, the filter will get wet. Like Everlovin stated....you'd have to be submerged in 2 feet of water to actually have hydrolock occur.

vtecnrg
01-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Get the sri. I use to have the AEM sri, it was blue to match my ride. I liked it alot. I also have the DC sports titanium strut bar. One thing I discovered, to change my plugs I have to remove the strut bar.

ImPo Skyline
01-13-2004, 01:04 PM
i'd keep the stock air box, buy a spoon sport drop in filter, or a k&n drop in.