PDA

View Full Version : more questions?

ravenings
09-23-2002, 11:51 AM
1. How do you guys break in your car? I currently have 300 miles on mine. I have to go on a freeway/highway on my way to work, so what I do is simply accelerate to 60mph then let the car cruise until 40mph then accelerate again to 60mph, and I keep doing this for the entire 25 miles to work. People in back of me are not happy ;)

2. Whenever I start up the car after I have left it for 5+ hours, the tachometer idles at 1,700rpm and if I wait for a minute or two, then the rpm would have slowly dropped to about 750rpm. Is this normal?

3. I forgot #3...I'll post when I remember.

Thanks for all your help!

in His love,
HS

sonic imperial
09-23-2002, 12:02 PM
I drive a long way to work each day on a freeway as well and there are only few stop lights in between. I just never gave it hard throttle and didn't run it up to redline any, but you got to drive it. I had to make a few hard stops here and there, but so far everything appears normal. You probably don't have to keep slowing down and speeding up as much, or if you are worried about it when you get a day off just go somewhere that allows you vary the speeds alot and drive it until your break-in is finished. This is my 3rd new honda and I've driven them all the same way and no motor problems. As fas the RPM's, yes that is very normal. Everyone's should do that.

fishboy
09-23-2002, 12:03 PM
i drove 75 to 80 sometimes, 75 most of the time. i shifted before redline for a set of gears once. i don't think i broke my car in correctly.

esmith13
09-23-2002, 12:21 PM
Drive it long!! Drive it hard!! :D

I was told that nerer cars ('00+) don't need the traditional break-in precautions that we are all used to. As a matter of fact, I confirmed last week with my area dealer/service center that our specific cars hold back on performance to help force proper break in. The two most noticable changes will be at about 2,500mi. and at 10,000mi. At 2,500 you'll start to notice better acceleration and at 10,000 the car starts to fly like a bat-outta-hell!!

Just relax dude, if it starts in the mornin', you did ok last evenin'.