PDA

View Full Version : Where is the ECU?

03SiBlack
01-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Im doing the razo shift light i wanted to know where is the ecu located? When i tap into the wire on the ecu should i cut the wire and splice it together? Also when mounting the shift light do i have to screw it in or does it come with the sticky stuff under it?

Gasp23
01-12-2004, 09:40 AM
I believe it's under the glove compartment. Like underneath all the plastic covering of it and stuff.

Mugen_EP
01-12-2004, 09:42 AM
It's behind the passenger side kick panel.

02SilverSiHB
01-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by 03SiBlack
Im doing the razo shift light i wanted to know where is the ecu located? When i tap into the wire on the ecu should i cut the wire and splice it together? Also when mounting the shift light do i have to screw it in or does it come with the sticky stuff under it?
it sticks on, splice the wire in imo...here's my how to:
http://www.k-series.com/tech_detail.php?Tech_ID=RAZO_SHIFT_LIGHT

03SiBlack
01-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Mugen_EP
It's behind the passenger side kick panel.
what is the passenger side kick panel? I looked at your tutoral at kseries its very good but im just stuck on finding out where the ecu is. So is it behind the glove box and how do i remove the glove box thanks in advance

myeverlovinsir
01-12-2004, 05:26 PM
There are 2 screws below the glove box, once removed the whole thing shimmys out. This will give you a clear view of the ECU.

02SilverSiHB
01-12-2004, 05:26 PM
what is the passenger side kick panel? I looked at your tutoral at kseries its very good but im just stuck on finding out where the ecu is. So is it behind the glove box and how do i remove the glove box thanks in advance
Okay, if you are sitting in the passenger seat, it is behind the glove box, but also can be seen if you lean down, and remove the bottom panel under the glove box.

For this install, I'd remove the bottom panel also...it pops out my pulling down on it, real easy.

Now for taking the glove box door off, open it. Now on each top corner of the glove door (inner part of it) is one black looking thing that holds it from falling down.

Take one hand and hold the glove box, and lift a tad, while with your other hand, squeaze the tab of the black thing and I think you push down on it, it slides loose, and then you have to turn it a certain way to get it out...do that for the other one and the glove box falls down...it's easy, just look in the glove box, you'll see the black things that hold the door from going all the way down.

Once that's done, you'll see the ecu in front of you.

02SilverSiHB
01-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir
There are 2 screws below the glove box, once removed the whole thing shimmys out. This will give you a clear view of the ECU.
? Never knew that :D I guess you can do it that way...but if you don't want to mess with screws, you can do it the other way.

03SiBlack
01-12-2004, 05:31 PM
thanks guys now all i have to do is find a place i can order from for the shift light optauto has a 4 to 6 week wait on it so i gotta find another place

ooo also another quick ? when i put this in on the tutorial it doesnt say if i should cut the ecu wire and the power wire. Should i cut them and splice the wires together?

02SilverSiHB
01-12-2004, 05:33 PM
thanks guys now all i have to do is find a place i can order from for the shift light optauto has a 4 to 6 week wait on it so i gotta find another place
damn, best price too...I ran into that problem and payed 12 more for it a local shop.
here's one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2452052186&category=6755

03SiBlack
01-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
damn, best price too...I ran into that problem and payed 12 more for it a local shop.
here's one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2452052186&category=6755
Thanks you are the man! Just have two more questions and then i can be ready to install 1. When splicing the blue wire on ecu i have to cut it then strip the wire and splice them correct? Also on the power wire that connects above dead pedal what way did you run that wire i dont see on the tutorial how you did that?

02SilverSiHB
01-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks you are the man! Just have two more questions and then i can be ready to install 1. When splicing the blue wire on ecu i have to cut it then strip the wire and splice them correct? Also on the power wire that connects above dead pedal what way did you run that wire i dont see on the tutorial how you did that?
yeah, I just cut the plastic covering on the blue wire, to expose the wire. Then took the other wire, wrapped it around the blue one and then sodered it on.

For the power wire, I ran the wire from where it connects to the dead pedal, going behind the underpart of the dash on the driver side, then lead it through/behind the dash where the shifter is at, the to the glove compartment area.

03SiBlack
01-12-2004, 05:45 PM
alright thanks for all the help silver si

02SilverSiHB
01-12-2004, 05:47 PM
alright thanks for all the help silver si
no prob, feel free to pm me if you need any help with that thing...it's pretty easy.

03SiBlack
01-22-2004, 11:31 AM
silversi i got my shift light today im gonna install it when i get home. i just wanted to know if when you guys installed this did you disconnect your battery is it really necessary? Also did you use the connectors that came with it to connect the two wires or did u sodier them im planning on cutting the insulator and sodering them for a better connection

fsugatorbait
01-22-2004, 12:11 PM
to save yourself the possibility of causing any problems, go to radio shack and get wire taps. Very cheap and easy to use.

02SilverSiHB
01-22-2004, 02:20 PM
silversi i got my shift light today im gonna install it when i get home. i just wanted to know if when you guys installed this did you disconnect your battery is it really necessary? Also did you use the connectors that came with it to connect the two wires or did u sodier them im planning on cutting the insulator and sodering them for a better connection
I sodered mine one....and no I didn't disconnect the battery

02SilverSiHB
01-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
to save yourself the possibility of causing any problems, go to radio shack and get wire taps. Very cheap and easy to use.
? I've seen those cut wires before...

fsugatorbait
01-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
? I've seen those cut wires before...

Really? Thats all I use, and have yet to have a problem. Thanks for the heads up, ill keep an eye out in the future. :)

03SiBlack
01-22-2004, 06:21 PM
okay thanks to 02silver i got everything installed it works but theirs just one problem, when i set the red light to go on i put it all the way up to max but it wont come on past 5 grand i want it on at like 6 and a half before redline whats up with this this things a waste if it doesnt go on before redline

02SilverSiHB
01-22-2004, 07:53 PM
okay thanks to 02silver i got everything installed it works but theirs just one problem, when i set the red light to go on i put it all the way up to max but it wont come on past 5 grand i want it on at like 6 and a half before redline whats up with this this things a waste if it doesnt go on before redline
it will go up past 10k rpms....First make sure the back of the unit has the white tabs. Make sure number 4 is down and that the rest of the white tabs are up. Also, in the front, you have the first button on the left which is the power button, then the second button is the rpm button...make sure this button is extended out, not pressed in.

03SiBlack
01-23-2004, 11:47 AM
ok i got it to work thanks i gotta fool around with it more later today since i got done putting it in late last night. I was wondering about getting a radar detector if i was to hard wire it would i be able to wire it the same way i did with the shift light? i dont get how it works i under stand the positive is wired and it is grounded but how does this give it power i always though it needs positive and negative?

02SilverSiHB
01-23-2004, 05:48 PM
ok i got it to work thanks i gotta fool around with it more later today since i got done putting it in late last night. I was wondering about getting a radar detector if i was to hard wire it would i be able to wire it the same way i did with the shift light? i dont get how it works i under stand the positive is wired and it is grounded but how does this give it power i always though it needs positive and negative?
it's getting power from that power wire you spliced into...it goes to the brain of the unit, then that sends power to the light...and yeah, it should be okay to splice into the original power wire you are going into currently.