PDA

View Full Version : Any real dyno #'s on the AEM v2????

CivicGSiR
01-12-2004, 02:48 PM
tried to search, but not enough letters in aem v2.

AEM has posted new dyno #'s of there v2 intake for the ep. they seem to have boosted there numbers a little. anyone have anything that substantiate these claims?

take a look:

AEM v2 power graph (http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/24-6108%2002-03%20Civic%20SI.pdf)

JapanExpress
01-12-2004, 02:52 PM
Looks like a real dyno to me.

However, when I sell my Typhoon, I will get a V2 and post stock and V2 dynos for everyone to see.:D

1fastminivan
01-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Ill be dynoing on the 24th of this month....but I also have an HKS catback. Forgot to mention I have the V2 now. Just installed it today....I love it!! We'll see what it puts out with my HKS;)

CivicGSiR
01-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by JapanExpress
Looks like a real dyno to me.

However, when I sell my Typhoon, I will get a V2 and post stock and V2 dynos for everyone to see.:D

from what i understand they regraph them in Excel or something? just seems like a HUGE increase. 16.9WHP & 17.7 ft/lbs

myeverlovinsir
01-12-2004, 05:11 PM
I am with the skeptics, I want to see a 'real' dyno graph. Those gains and a rat running a turnwheel driving the engine are just as realistic.

RacingCivicSi02
01-12-2004, 05:12 PM
i don't trust their dyno sheet either. I want to see another person before and after dyno sheets.

f4hondaphile
01-12-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm with you guys, the gains seem too big to be credible. But at the same time, if the car in the real world actually gains half what they claim it would be a great intake and I would buy one for sure.

Can't wait to see some unbiased dynos!

02HatchSI
01-15-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by 1fastminivan
Ill be dynoing on the 24th of this month....but I also have an HKS catback. Forgot to mention I have the V2 now. Just installed it today....I love it!! We'll see what it puts out with my HKS;)

I have the same set-up or i will soon... I have hks exhaust and the v2 is in the mail... Can't Wait!!! How is the sound... can u hear it over the exhaust??? can u take a sound clip or something?

BlasTech
01-15-2004, 09:31 AM
You're right, f4, even at half the shown gains, the V2 would be the best intake available, especially in the low end!

1fastminivan
01-15-2004, 01:45 PM
02hatchsi
I love the V2....it can be heard over the exhaust. Its sounds so awesome with the loud aggressive sound from the intake combined with the deep exhaust tone. I cant take a sound clip...sorry. I went from a stock airboxe hondata modified with drop in K&N and "cold air" custom feeder tube and that was pretty nice.

02HatchSI
01-15-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by 1fastminivan
02hatchsi
I love the V2....it can be heard over the exhaust. Its sounds so awesome with the loud aggressive sound from the intake combined with the deep exhaust tone. I cant take a sound clip...sorry. I went from a stock airboxe hondata modified with drop in K&N and "cold air" custom feeder tube and that was pretty nice.

sweet... Mine should be coming in sometime next week!

gilbert
01-16-2004, 11:08 AM
You can be assured that the V2 does not make 17HP as AEM claims. We (vtec.net) tested a V2 intake in December at Church Automotive Testing and found a 5HP gain. You lose power/torque below 4000RPMs but gain about 2-5HP past that. In fact, I should mention that on AEM's Mustang Dyno (we tested at AEM too), our test car produced the same results as Shawn's Dynapack. All of our dyno runs were done on the same day and for the runs done at Church Automotive, we monitored intake and coolant temps to make sure we were testing in similar conditions before and after the install. I suspect that they took the lowest dyno run of a Civic Si and the highest run with the V2. Take their results with a huge grain of salt. We're going to have a review of the intake up this weekend with dyno plots, pictures, and analysis.

Gilbert

Originally posted by CivicGSiR
tried to search, but not enough letters in aem v2.

AEM has posted new dyno #'s of there v2 intake for the ep. they seem to have boosted there numbers a little. anyone have anything that substantiate these claims?

take a look:

AEM v2 power graph (http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/24-6108%2002-03%20Civic%20SI.pdf)

BlasTech
01-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Gilbert, thanks for the download. Was that on an Si?

I can see a company fudging dynos a little, but I wouldnt expect such a huge exaggeration from a company like AEM.

The lowest numbers that they show are higher than some base Si dynos we've seen.

Have you heard that the V2 is sensitive to precise installation, and things like the Hondata IM gasket, that change the volume of the intake path, can have a negative effect on the performance of the V2?

Its just such an insult that they would exaggerate a 2-5hp gain into 17!

dofu
01-16-2004, 12:13 PM
$250 for a damn intake? wow... better make me hella power for that price... picked up an aem cai for about a bill, and an rs akimoto filter for around $60, and that setup was tested for about 20hp... sux that its only like 5 hp gains.

gilbert
01-16-2004, 12:28 PM
Yes, that was on a 2002 Civic Si. AEM did the install at their facility. You can see some of the weirdness in their plots by comparing their CAI and V2 plots.

V2:
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/24-6108%2002-03%20Civic%20SI.pdf

CAI:
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/21-508%202002%20Civic%20SI%20CAS.pdf

Tell me if the baseline run look fishy to you. ;)

Gilbert

Originally posted by BlasTech
Gilbert, thanks for the download. Was that on an Si?

I can see a company fudging dynos a little, but I wouldnt expect such a huge exaggeration from a company like AEM.

The lowest numbers that they show are higher than some base Si dynos we've seen.

Have you heard that the V2 is sensitive to precise installation, and things like the Hondata IM gasket, that change the volume of the intake path, can have a negative effect on the performance of the V2?

Its just such an insult that they would exaggerate a 2-5hp gain into 17!

f4hondaphile
01-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Here's what gets me about all this: Why would AEM be seemingly honest about the modest gains of their CAI and SRI intakes while completely lying through their teeth about the new one?

Also, if you look on their site the show lower gains for V2 on a 96-00 civic than they show for their own SRI...what motivation would they have to show less impressive gains on their most expensive intake than their cheapest.

I also noticed that the base RSX is shown on their site as gaining about 5hp. At first blush one would think our engine would be similar but the sound wave frequencies of this intake make such comparisons impossible b/c the 2 stage intake manifold on the base rsx is drastically different from ours. If you look at the numbers for the RSX-S, which of course has the same manifold as an ep, it is very similar to what AEM shows for our engine.

Looking at still other cars on the AEM website reveals that the EP and the RSX-S seem to have drastically bigger gains. Why exaggerate only our cars???

I just don't know what to make of it. I have always been skeptical of a manufacturer's own claims, assuming that as long as they are reputable they are not completely lying but are posting the best numbers they were able to obtain, putting their best foot foward.

I am anxious to see some independent tests to say the least.

glw
01-16-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by gilbert
Tell me if the baseline run look fishy to you. ;)
[/B]

gilbert...
the baseline in the v2 graph looks pretty close to mine. theirs dips a touch more than mine at 3750 but other than that it's dead on.

i just put the v2 on my ep3 on wed night and it feels really good - don't know about 17hp, though... i'm trying to find a dynojet somewhere close to me here in oc that'll do a few pulls for cheap so that i can compare to my stock and magnaflow.

gilbert
01-16-2004, 10:39 PM
I should note that they have a Mustang dyno. Anyway, I posted dynos of:

1. Stock vs. AEM V2
2. AEM V2 vs. Hondata Reflash

at http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=192429

Gilbert

Originally posted by glw
gilbert...
the baseline in the v2 graph looks pretty close to mine. theirs dips a touch more than mine at 3750 but other than that it's dead on.

i just put the v2 on my ep3 on wed night and it feels really good - don't know about 17hp, though... i'm trying to find a dynojet somewhere close to me here in oc that'll do a few pulls for cheap so that i can compare to my stock and magnaflow.

glw
01-16-2004, 11:35 PM
I should note that they have a Mustang dyno. Anyway, I posted dynos of:

1. Stock vs. AEM V2
2. AEM V2 vs. Hondata Reflash

at http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=192429

Gilbert

if i'm reading it correctly, something about yours looks different to me...

my stock torque graph is relatively flat and starts out a little over 100 and peaks at 117 twice (once at 3500rpm and 5300-6000rpm) causing a small dip to about 100 (at about 4500rpm).

click to enlarge...
http://sourcecodegeeks.com/public/civic/images/dyno_sm.jpg (http://sourcecodegeeks.com/public/civic/images/dyno.jpg)

your graph looks higher compared to mine with the dip being exaggerated...

gilbert
01-17-2004, 12:36 AM
glw - It's on a Dynapack and the torque is not SAE corrected, only the HP is corrected. The torque graph is also zoomed in to fit that half of the plot. If you look at the relative changes in torque through the RPM range, it's very similar to your graph. Just remember my torque graphs are not SAE corrected so there will be slight differences.

dofu
01-17-2004, 05:55 AM
sorry, im drunk right now and cant seem to be able to see the graph... what i wanna kno is... is this intake worth the $250 you'll have to invest for it compareed to the cai?

STP03BlueSI
01-17-2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by dofu
sorry, im drunk right now and cant seem to be able to see the graph... what i wanna kno is... is this intake worth the $250 you'll have to invest for it compareed to the cai?

LMAO...people drunk on ephatch

glw
01-17-2004, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by dofu
sorry, im drunk right now and cant seem to be able to see the graph... what i wanna kno is... is this intake worth the $250 you'll have to invest for it compareed to the cai? i don't know because i don't have a cai to comapre it to... it feels really good and growls really deep after 5000rpm. i plan on hitting a dynojet dyno somewhere to see the change from my earlier dyno.

click on the dyno above for a larger view...

glw
01-17-2004, 06:51 AM
glw - It's on a Dynapack and the torque is not SAE corrected, only the HP is corrected. The torque graph is also zoomed in to fit that half of the plot. If you look at the relative changes in torque through the RPM range, it's very similar to your graph. Just remember my torque graphs are not SAE corrected so there will be slight differences. that makes sense! your hp looked close to mine but the torque was exaggerated (not corrected).

so back to my original statement - my stock dyno = aem stock dyno. it doesn't look fishy to me.

Payntech
01-17-2004, 07:08 AM
AEM said that the dyno was actually comparing a stock EP3 against a V2 intake with an exhaust. They will be modifying it soon to state just that. It was an honest mistake.

gilbert
01-17-2004, 10:32 AM
Ah. I can almost believe that. :)

Gilbert

Originally posted by Payntech
AEM said that the dyno was actually comparing a stock EP3 against a V2 intake with an exhaust. They will be modifying it soon to state just that. It was an honest mistake.

BlasTech
01-17-2004, 12:37 PM
dur, which exhaust? a test-pipe? :p

oompaloompab0i
01-18-2004, 11:02 AM
is the v2 a cold air or short ram?

myeverlovinsir
01-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by oompaloompab0i

Both.:D

DavidT
01-19-2004, 12:02 AM
Good lord I'd by so damn embarassed if I was AEM. Claiming 17WHP and having a user get a 4.7WHP gain. :mad: That's a whole 12.3WHP shy of their 17 WHP gain. Dissapointing :confused:

TezGari
01-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by oompaloompab0i

How are they both tho? The V2 for us goes in the back of the engine (correct)?

For other models like the 00si its a real CAI, it looks like a real CAI, extending down to the bbumper? What gives? CAI or not?

Looks like a short ram, because it looks like a SRI.:(

myeverlovinsir
01-19-2004, 03:47 AM
Both, meaning the V2 comes in both flavours, CAI and SRI.

Payntech
01-19-2004, 05:03 PM
The V2 only comes in one "flavor". AEM install temperature sensors under the hood in various locations. They found that they can get cool air in the area that the V2 filter is at and have good tuning qualities. It is longer than an SRI, but shorter than the CAI.

myeverlovinsir
01-19-2004, 05:12 PM
AEM also aquired DC sports...

LINK (http://www.aempower.com/press_events_detail.asp?aid=29)

Can you see a difference?

http://www.aempower.com/productSubCatImages/4_4_f.jpg

http://www.aempower.com/productSubCatImages/4_1_f.jpg

bgsteve523
01-19-2004, 05:13 PM
I just got my V2 in today its too damn cold out to put it on now but it is a little longer the my AEM SRI but not much more should be interesting to see how they compare.

Payntech
01-19-2004, 05:21 PM
They are for two different cars. They are different for different cars. The picture on the bottom looks like it's for an Integra or '99-'00 Civic Si.

bgsteve523
01-19-2004, 05:27 PM
Let me make this a little clearer. I got the SRI V2 there is a CAI one just look on ebay they sell both the SRI V2 like the one I got is alittle longer and MUCH wider thats all the difference is.

myeverlovinsir
01-19-2004, 05:34 PM
Yep, they are for different cars...

The AEM V2 still is not matching the standard CAI, but quite close when it's cold and steady in tq when hot.

Here is one of the real world tests done comparing the Injen CAI to the V2...done on a type-S

http://performance.clubrsx.com/intaketest2.5/dyno1.jpg

Payntech
01-19-2004, 06:14 PM
I not stating if it is better or worse. One thing that is missing on a dyno is that the air going across the car on the dyno is not the same as what the car sees while running down the road.

gilbert
01-19-2004, 07:26 PM
AEM got back to me and confirmed that their dyno plot included an exhaust system.