PDA

View Full Version : Mods you like / wish you did not do...

jon
01-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Hey is there any mods you are really glad you did and love?
Have any mods you wish you never wasted your money on?
Post them here.
:cool:

SilverEpInDc
01-12-2004, 07:28 PM
I LOVE MY AEM CAI and My Evo Exhuast! Im still on the wall bout my s7 guages

Peking
01-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Welcome to the site Jon, that's another one :)

There was a thread on this before. The mod I liked has to be my VIS Carbon Fiber Wing, cause it looks cool :cool: The one I didn't like so much is my first custom exhaust, muffler was to close the the rear bumper. Melted a piece off, and it rattled like crazy sometimes.

Jon

SilverEpInDc
01-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Peking ur the kind og knowing witch thread has starttng and how to spot a newb

jon
01-12-2004, 07:44 PM
thanks, im interested in buying a new si just trying to get an idea of good mods and shit the price is so high though. I heard you could get them new for 15k now i look around and they are like 16-17k scary, and used ones are like 15-16k :(...

myeverlovinsir
01-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Mod I like the most: You know what that is...

Mod I wish I could take back...none to date but have since removed the neon glow map light in the 12v plug to make room for my camera. Lame I know.:)

Peking
01-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by SilverEpInDc
Peking ur the kind og knowing witch thread has starttng and how to spot a newb

LOL, funny thing is that I have trouble remembering what I had for lunch yesterday :D

Originally posted by jon
thanks, im interested in buying a new si just trying to get an idea of good mods and shit the price is so high though. I heard you could get them new for 15k now i look around and they are like 16-17k scary, and used ones are like 15-16k :(...

Do the basics, intake, header, and exhaust. All pretty easy to do, and together will produce some noticeable gains. Used EP3's can go for that low, or lower depending. New 04's will be around 19k for quite some time, if you don't mind waiting the price will go down.

Here are some examples...

Intake- AEM COLD AIR SYS: CIVIC SI 02-UP

http://www.optauto.com/store/images/AEM-CA3.GIF

You can get it around $194.00, call showstoppers.

Header- DC SPORTS 4-2-1 1PC HEADER: RSX 02-UP & CIVIC SI 02-UP

http://www.optauto.com/store/images/DC-AHC6514.GIF

$270.00, call showstoppers.

Exhaust- GREDDY EVO EXHAUST: CIVIC SI 03-UP

http://www.optauto.com/store/images/GPP-EXHEVO.GIF

Get one for around $439.00, and once again call showstoppers.

Takes you to about $900, not to bad
:D

jon
01-12-2004, 08:25 PM
the gains are noticable you say, what does each give you? on my GSR i did exhaust and intake and the gains were not very noticable...

how much would you say each does?

Peking
01-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by jon
the gains are noticable you say, what does each give you? on my GSR i did exhaust and intake and the gains were not very noticable...
how much would you say each does?

All depends, for exaple from Import Tuner Mag.

Baseline
Air Temp @ 69.9 Degrees Fahrenheit
Peak HP153.3
Peak TQ131.9
Baseline Horsepower: 153.3
Baseline Torque: 131.9 lb-ft

Dyno Notes: This was an extremely high baseline, considering the car is factory rated at 160 hp at the flywheel. We found out that in two-wheel-drive mode the Dynamic Test Systems dyno actually reads a little higher than a Dyno Jet.

Pros: The K-series engine is turning out to be a valuable commodity in the aftermarket world. For one, it's got JMD counterparts, and two, the engine has been proven to make 230 hp with mild bolt-ons.

Cons: There is a lack of aftermarket parts state-side, and the ECU is extremely sophisticated compared to the original OBD-II unit. This might make things harder as far as tuning is concerned, but rumor has it Hondata has some stuff in the works.

With short ram intake (cold air will give you alittle more)
Peak Horsepower: 160.6
Peak Torque: 159.1 lb-ft

Dyno notes: With the factory airbox removed, the underhood noise gets much louder. Most of the power was made at the top end where it really counted. Pros: 100% bolt-on treatment, and the filter K&N provided looks tight! Not that this matters too much, but the hose clamps that come with the kit look pretty dope, too.

Now with the exhaust(tanabe frickin rules)
Peak Horsepower: 163.4
Peak Torque: 134.4

Dyno notes: There was plenty of power made up top, but we sacrificed some midrange power between 3000 and 4500 rpm.

Pros: 100% bolt-on. The exhaust is a full stainless setup with polished resonator and muffler.

Cons: The exhaust is a little on the loud side without the baffle.

Header
Peak Horsepower: 166.9
Peak Torque: 129.7 lb-ft

Pros: When we first started installing the header, we thought it would be hard to do because its location is toward the rear of the engine bay, but since the aftermarket header is much smaller in size, it was much easier to install.

Cons: The header doesn't allow you to install the factory heat shield, so you can't hide it from the cops. Then again, I don't think there's an aftermarket header in existence that accommodates the factory heat shield.

the parts
1 K&N Typhoon Intake System 285.37
2 Tanabe Super Medalion Racing Spec $720.00
3 DC Sports Header $395.95
MSRP total $1401.32

Conclusion: As we stated earlier, the horsepower power figures on the Dynamic Test System chassis dyno resembled figures that are closer to measurements at the flywheel than the wheels, but regardless, the three components netted 13.6 hp total. Once more aftermarket components become available we should be able to start round two on the new Civic Si. For now, enjoy.

performance chart
HP Level HP+ TQ Level TQ+
B Baseline 153.3 * 131.9 *
1 K&N Air Filter 160.6 7.3 135.3 4.4
2 Tanabe Exhaust 163.4 2.8 134.8 -0.5
3 DC Sports Header 166.9 3.5 129.7 -5.1
Final 166.9 13.6 129.7 -2.2

You can see more of there results here...
http://www.importtuner.com/tech/index1.html

Also check out our Dyno section here...
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=61

Lucid Moments
01-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Since he's asking about mods we have to introduce him to the mid-pipe. One of the best, and cheapest mods you can do is go to your local muffler shop and have them replace your stock midpipe. If you can find a place with a mandral bender then that is best and go with a 2" even. If you can't find a place with a mandral bender then go with a 2.25" crush bent. That is what I have on my car, and I got it done for $64. :D Its amazing what it does for the car, especially at higher revs. Sounds good too.

myeverlovinsir
01-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Don't get a woody all of a sudden! As Peking mentioned those are crank hp ratings or so I would think unless he was smoking crack! No modded EP to date including myself on the stock A3 NA setup is worth more than 155 WHP! And I mean no one, believe me I have tried desprately!!!;)

jon
01-12-2004, 09:25 PM
you mean without FI right?????
how much hp do you have/your setup?

how is traction with your hp?

155whp seems pretty low, what does your setup run?

myeverlovinsir
01-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by jon
how much hp do you have/your setup?

how is traction with your hp?

155whp seems pretty low, what does your setup run?

You would be the first to benchmark above 155whp if you could do it on the NA setup. I would think that my mods before the head swap and a port an polish should do it, but think around ~160whp is the limit for the EP when it comes to naturally aspirated. Don't kid yourselves, I worked on it for near a year and pryed and prodded with as much as I could on the dyno. Good luck to the next tuner!;)