PDA

View Full Version : Who's installed a sway bar with just jack stands?

icegrill
01-12-2004, 11:30 PM
I got my H&R 20mm sway bar the other day and want to install it. I've got the manual and looks pretty straight forward. On my eg I couldn't get the bolts off with hand tools for the life of me. Should I attempt it or just have a shop do it with a lift and air tools? Thanks for the advice.

Civicvtec1ps
01-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Thats all need. Jack stands and tools.

hernameis?
01-13-2004, 05:37 AM
hey icegrill, where did you get the h&R from? How much did that set ya back? thanks

chunky
01-13-2004, 07:39 AM
always install the sway bars with the suspension loaded. that means on the ground, or with ramps.

Siman
01-13-2004, 10:15 AM
is it so the sway bar mounts arnt out of place because of no load?

David K.
01-13-2004, 11:58 AM
I installed my RSX-s rear sway with jackstands and absolutely no problems whatsoever; took about 30 minutes with hand tools.

icegrill
01-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Chunky- was there enough room to get leverage without the car raised?

Herm: I got it from modacar, it was $165 shipped it's really quality, plus comes with maintenance free teflon bushings.

DarkHatch
01-13-2004, 06:12 PM
I just put front and rear sway bars on my ep with just jack stands. Took me about 2 1/2 hours. Easy and fun mod :D

Hey Chunky did your es mm bushings make a big difference?

icegrill
01-13-2004, 07:22 PM
DarkHatch: what kind of bars did you get? The manual says to lift the rear and take the wheels off and support it on stands so I think thats how I'm going to install it.

Zero Three Si
01-13-2004, 08:33 PM
I put my type S sway bar on using jack stands. Even a soccer mom could put on a sway bar by reading the instructions. Don't waste your money by taking it to the shop.

I would suggest taking both rear wheels off as it is easier to get to the end links.

chunky
01-13-2004, 08:50 PM
The reason why you want to do it with the supension loaded is so that the endlinks are properly aligned in their resting position. failure to do so may cause additional stress on your endlinks causing them to break prematurely.

My car was lowered 2" when I installed my rear sway bar, I'm 6ft, 200lb and I was able to get my head & neck under the car well enough to do the sway bar swap with the car on the ground.

For the front sway bar, you'd have to get creative. Jack up the car, remove the old sway bar, put the new one in place, but do NOT torque them down. put the car on the ground so the suspension is loaded, then turn the wheel to get sufficent access to the endlinks.

Do it the right way and save yourself the hassle of broken endlinks or a noisy bar.

chunky
01-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by DarkHatch
I just put front and rear sway bars on my ep with just jack stands. Took me about 2 1/2 hours. Easy and fun mod :D

Hey Chunky did your es mm bushings make a big difference?

yes, the MM inserts completely eliminated wheel hop. The wheel hop was bad with stock size tires, but when I went to the 225/50/15 tires, the hop was the worst i've ever experienced, I had the MM inserts put in less than a week later and I haven't looked back since. :)

DarkHatch
01-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by icegrill
DarkHatch: what kind of bars did you get? The manual says to lift the rear and take the wheels off and support it on stands so I think thats how I'm going to install it.

I have progress sway bars. Taking the wheels off does make it easier, but you don't have to. I didn't and... hehe once I figuired out that you can put an allen wrench in the end of the end links to keep them from turning, it was all down hill from there:D If you have any problems just hollar at me I would be glad to help;)

DarkHatch
01-13-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by chunky
yes, the MM inserts completely eliminated wheel hop. The wheel hop was bad with stock size tires, but when I went to the 225/50/15 tires, the hop was the worst i've ever experienced, I had the MM inserts put in less than a week later and I haven't looked back since. :)

Cool:D I just ordered some:) looking forward to getting them. Thanx for the input;)