PDA

View Full Version : I installed my Injen CAI.. thoughts and aftermath

Chinaboy
01-13-2004, 03:11 AM
wow, that is all I can say, the car sounds more beastly then it was before, after 3200rpm it is juss vtec music.. its incredible. The car juss feels more of a pull up there but it seems to me that the car's responsiveness just increased when you full thorottle. One thing that makes me convinced that it works is the basis that I have to go over speed bumps over my car, and I always go at 20mph... they are more roll overs, not bumps, but I always stay in 3rd gear. this time after the install of the cai, the power of the car going over the roll overs are more steady, it doesnot rattle back to 30 miles per hour as it did before.

Installs was alright, until I realized that I had to cut a HOLE in the side fender wall... jesus... i didn't know, my buddy and I spend two hours cutting a hole... that was juss hell... but well worth it... new ep guys to install CAI.. get a cutting tool before installs if you do it yourself. Other than that fitment and usuage, I highly recommend this intake, besides the cutting a hole delimma, its easy to install, instructions are easy to understand, and overall usuage and reasoning behind the product are great.

here is my web journal for all you guys to see for pictures and what not.

my web journal (http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=skylinehks)

Tenacious G
01-13-2004, 10:07 AM
oh boy, another person who thinks the K20A3 has acutal VTEC.

check out this link for an explaination of how the A3 works:

http://www.hondata.com/techk20general.html

but i'm glad you like your intake ... anything's better than the super restrictive stock intake.

HondaMan
01-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Good move...I have the Injen CAI and think it is the best. Cool weblog you got there.

Yeah, we really don't have true VTEC on our K20A3 engines. :( O well, it still runs strong, especially after CAI & cat-back mods! :)

raiyo
01-13-2004, 12:33 PM
HAHA, Just finish checking out your "journal". U gotta cut it with the fingers Chinaboy.

Chinaboy
01-13-2004, 01:05 PM
wow people get real technical here, juss saving my typing for the "i-" I knw its I-vtec, juss too lazy to type it. :D

Tenacious G
01-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Chinaboy
wow people get real technical here, juss saving my typing for the "i-" I knw its I-vtec, juss too lazy to type it. :D

that's just the thing, the A3 doesn't really have VTEC like most are used to. cliff notes from the Hondata site: the A3 essentially only operates one intake valve under 2200 rpm to reduce idling emmissions. above 2200 rpm, there is just one lift/duration lobe on the intake cam. no VTEC mechanism on the exhaust side. the A3 doesn't have a low lift/duration cam that switches over to a high lift/duration cam, which is the VTEC switch that is so renown on the B16s, B18s, K20As, K20A2s, F20s, etc, etc. so to say there is VTEC music above 3200 rpm is misleading.

hth

Junjai
01-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Hey this is chinaboy's little brother and i don't know what to say since my brother has been hogging all the fun and leaving me in the cold. You bastard! Well at least the Intake is installed because it we had a hard time cutting that damn hole

chubbychu
01-13-2004, 06:06 PM
how come you had to cut a hole?!

HondaMan
01-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
how come you had to cut a hole?!

Because that is what you have to for an Injen CAI...its not hard if you have the right tools. Hell, I just had a pair of medical scissors and that worked fine. :)

chubbychu
01-13-2004, 08:02 PM
yea, but isnt there already a hole there? i didnt have to cut anything for my Injen CAI install

HondaMan
01-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
yea, but isnt there already a hole there? i didnt have to cut anything for my Injen CAI install

Yes, but you need to make it bigger.

DyNastySi
01-13-2004, 08:59 PM
Its easier to take out the plastic from the fender well and juss bend the hole back. That way you dont have the rough edges from cutting.

Ok...I have a dumb question sort of. I have the Injen race division intake. But umm...whats the difference between race division and juss the regular one?

getch74
02-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Does any have or now where i can get the instructions for Installing Injen CAI. I hope to be installing it tomorrow. I have looked at k-series.com and got that info, but i wondering if anyone might have the Injen instructions? Or maybe I don't need them. Any feed back would good. Thanks.

Spazhead
02-26-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Tenacious G
oh boy, another person who thinks the K20A3 has acutal VTEC.

check out this link for an explaination of how the A3 works:

http://www.hondata.com/techk20general.html

damn, i'm confused, honda can advertise i-Vtec, but we dont have i-vtec?

SiRacer03
02-26-2004, 03:15 PM
We do, it's just that you can't hear it on the K20A3 because it was designed much like the VTEC-E engines in previous models. We only have VTEC on the intake side. The traditional VTEC you might be thinking about could probably be heard in the K20A and K20A2's.

Bificus
02-26-2004, 08:41 PM
He is hearing the VTC, it makes a distinct sound and it really does sound musical. So go easy on him. I wish we had the real VTEC too.

mrfixit687
02-26-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Bificus
He is hearing the VTC, it makes a distinct sound and it really does sound musical. So go easy on him. I wish we had the real VTEC too.

how does the vtc make sound?

chakra71
02-26-2004, 10:20 PM
christ... did ephatch.com get featured in another mag? seems like we are getting tons of n00bs who know nothing about the car.

SEARCH fuckers. this was discussed two years ago.

ATRIOT
02-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by chakra71

:D

Chinaboy
02-27-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by chakra71
christ... did ephatch.com get featured in another mag? seems like we are getting tons of n00bs who know nothing about the car.

dude calm down.. this post was like two months old bro... and besides, YES i know there is not vtec... and shit people are here to discuss the car anyways... I am a noob, still learning i'll admit that, im sorry You are too good for all the noobs that join the site to chit chat and learn.

I hate it, when a damn forum people ask a question or have a real concern about a their car, the response to tell them to search and you are a noob, goodbye. Jeeesus, thanks a fucking lot, I joined a forum to talk to people about the car and learn.

Im sorry, I posted the post for people to know that another noob has installed a CAI, so the next noobs might learn how to from it or if there is questions.

I didn't get this car two years ago, I was not on the forums two years ago, so I donno if there was a post, besides why should I search a post on "aftermath of installing CAI" when its my opinon i want to get out to the world.

BTw, I did learn about our car, and all you wise cracks, there is VTEC in the DAMN car, iVtec is Vtec+VTC, yes i did learn from people on the forum... and the reason we can't hear it is because we have a A3 head which operates the lobes different than a A2 head which is in the RSX-S... so the answer is we do have VTEC, just different.

SO here is my advice to all the older better forum folks, IF YOU GOT NOTHING TO SAY, DON'T SAY IT AT ALL, this is a forum for people to talk, if you don't like it leave.

idrive
02-27-2004, 12:56 AM
you knoww, if i didnt just meet you a few weeks ago...
and like if 20 other ppl didnt already flame you...
i woulda said something... but just cuz im an ass :D

Chinaboy
02-27-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Spazhead

well... I mean shit... this is all the man wrote as a questoin....

and I wrote in my write up how muhc i like the cai... and "mistakely said it had Vtec, and then everyone starts shooting...

if anything, im not being flamed, people are juss not nice up in here

KimchiBoy_TypeR
02-27-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Spazhead

Im sorry China boy but these internet geeks that flame over the most stupidest things get off on these kind of things so dont sweat it man let them have thier fun because they will never have a girlfriend or get laid just let them have the satisfaction of thinking that they had the better of you by insulting you!!!:D

P.S I typed my post as a huge ass run on sentence to piss off you grammar nerds that are out there:D So flame away you lifeless Uber geeks:p

idrive
02-27-2004, 01:59 AM
haha soo i just kinda feel like post-whoring tonight...
even tho ive got a long way to go with my >200 posts :p

Bificus
02-27-2004, 06:29 AM
You can hear the change in the intake sound. The tone changes with the amount of VTC and valve overlap. It does alter the sound of the intake. I have had non-vtec cars and then started hearing all these hondas making sick intake sounds. Sheesh.