PDA

View Full Version : normal engine sound?

microep3
01-13-2004, 02:15 PM
I just got a Honda certified 02 Si not too long ago. About a week later I start to hear a strange sound from the engine, doesn't sound like a normal sound. You can only hear it at low rpms because it is very faint. It's kinda like a clank-clank-clank sound, almost like how those old diesel Mercedes sound but you can barely hear it. I took it to the dealer and drove it around for the mechanic but he said he didn't hear anything unusual...any ideas? is this a normal sound and should I be worried? TIA.

dj addicted
01-13-2004, 02:34 PM
if it is a honda certified car, then it should still be under warranty. Is this something that happens all the time at low RPMS? I would take it to them and have them look at it.

BlairSpeed
01-13-2004, 02:58 PM
I bought my 02 SI brand new and while my car is warming up, i can hear that very faint diesel-type sound. Once the car warms up, it goes away though. I have about 20k miles and I dont remember hearing that noise before, but the sound is very faint. My car still runs perfect and performance seems be getting better as time goes on, on im not really worried about it

microep3
01-13-2004, 03:38 PM
The sound is more noticeable when the engine is cold, but still faint. You can hear it when you accelerate slowly at low rpms (1500-3000rpms) but if you get into higher rpms or accelerate harder, you can't hear it cuz the regular sound of the engine masks the sound. I took it to the dealer but they said they didn't hear crap and sent me on my way...bastards. Engine has 19xxx miles on it.

edit: I checked my oil the other day and it was barely half way up to the first dot so I added a qt.