PDA

View Full Version : ram air, any negative effects?

gotmean03
01-14-2004, 06:17 AM
Like the subject says, anyone ever heard of any bad effects of forcing air into the intake. I just purchased the car and think I can fabricate a cold air extension/ram air for the factory air box similar to the comptech intake. The scoop would be located in front of the radiator. Any thoughts or posts where someone has tried this would be helpful. Thanks

r3p00c
01-14-2004, 06:22 AM
more cold air is always helpful, but you're not going to be 'forcing' the air into the intake by making some sort of extension. to force air in, you'd need to be using something more like a supercharger. the amount of pressure from direct air flowing into the intake chamber isn't going to put more air in the intake then there would be on its own.... the vaccum of air through the intake from the engine is way more force than the air pushing from the outside, if you know what i mean. hope that helps...

gotmean03
01-14-2004, 08:13 AM
That helps, another question then. Would you get any benefits from having a scoop to get fresh air from in front of the radiator, as opposed to where the filter is either an injen or aem cold air?
Thanks

BlasTech
01-14-2004, 08:35 AM
I have a scoop from just above the radiator going into my airbox, and I must say it does help quite a bit. It doesn't necessarily create boost, but it does reduce the amount of "negative boost" or low air pressure in the box.

I was pretty skeptical about the performance at first, until I took everything back to stock, and it felt like my car was no longer peppy.

This will give you better throttle response and some low-end gains at the very least.

When I first had the air ducting in, I though it was going to surely take on water, but after checking it out after driving in the rain, I found that the water just didnt make it back to the filter, due to the bends in the tubing.

Though there are holes in the bottom of the tubing that would allow water to drain out, I no longer go into automatic car washes, and I'm very careful when I wash it to not squirt water directly into the air scoop.

Every month, I pop the cover and check the filter, and I find small bugs and bits of leaves in there, not alot, just two or three small bits of crud.

Here's some pictures of my $10 intake scoop:

http://home.austin.rr.com/dmcknight/airram1.jpg

Its made from sheet metal, cut out and soldered together, then painted with some black 'engine' paint. Its always cool to the touch.

http://home.austin.rr.com/dmcknight/airram2.jpg

Installed, I put some reflective insulation material around it, and it collects air from just above the radiator, behind where the 'Si' logo is on our grill.

I just couldn't help but feel the intakes available for the Si arent worth the money, so overall, Im happy with this cheap mod, because of the noticeable gain and the virtually free pricetag.

SONIC SI
02-16-2004, 06:14 PM
I have been thinking of doing the same thing. I am going to get a K&N and run a duct like you did.

BlasTech
02-16-2004, 09:18 PM
K&N is on the list for me too this year. I just havent needed the power as much as the traction and skizzles. (yo) :D

AKAahlecks
04-25-2011, 03:33 AM
damn i wished the pictures worked... i kinda want to do soemthing similar like this:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?60496-custom-cold-air-stock-airbox&highlight=air+duct
except with a k&n typhoon short ram intake. i want to have a tube routing from the lower grill where the fogs are supposed to be up pointing in the direction of the intake. or perhaps almost up against the intake