PDA

View Full Version : hondata or rims?

IIx 03 EP xII
01-14-2004, 08:50 PM
well graduation will be here before i know it... and along with graduation comes graduation presents... and my 18th birthday. so for my graduation present/ all A's (go ahead... make fun of me cuz im still in high school) im stuck between hondata or rims. i have intake/exhaust right now... and will have H&R springs before too long. i want 16 inch rota slips in flat black with 215/45/16 falken azenis. so its either those rims (which are a bit more costly) or the hondata reflash. im worried about the reliability of the hondata... even though the extra revs... to me are WELL worth the money. well what do yall think? should i improve handling/looks/a tad bit of performance due to weight issues and i mean A TAD... with rims... or should i reflash my crappy stock ECU?? help me out

Peking
01-14-2004, 08:53 PM
Aren't those rims on back order? Go with the Hondata, my next mod :) Just don't push her to hard all the time, and you shouldn't have any problems. Alot of folks have the flash, not just SI's.

ImPo Skyline
01-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Hondata is the light! you already have rims. you dont already have hondata. do you?

Mugen Power
01-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Hey, if you want the Slips and they're on backorder, why don't you shell out some extra cash and get the real deal; the SW388? I bet you could get those right away. :)

(I know, I know, not everyone wants to spend that much on wheels that look pretty much the same and weigh a little less.)

k20hatch
01-14-2004, 08:58 PM
since your getting springs...id go with hondata....You will have aloooottt of fun...how much fun can you have with new rims?? ;)

SiR_d1
01-14-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by k20hatch
since your getting springs...id go with hondata....You will have aloooottt of fun...how much fun can you have with new rims?? ;)

cars with rims get the ladies, not cars with Hondata:p Thats where you'll be having fun

gIrLz R aLL BoUt dA bLiNg bLiNg!

k20hatch
01-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by SiR_d1
cars with rims get the ladies, not cars with Hondata:p Thats where you'll be having fun

gIrLz R aLL BoUt dA bLiNg bLiNg!

LoL haha ya i kno...i got rims...now i want HONDATA...!!

raiyo
01-14-2004, 09:47 PM
Get the Rota, since it is a present, go for the more expensive one, heheh. Sell the stock rims for 3-5 bills, depending on condition then use that money to buy the Hondata. Good huh? Go for it.

02HatchSI
01-14-2004, 09:50 PM
I'd say go with rims first, unless u already know u want hondata, because the whole decision's game is fucking my mind up!

Civicvtec1ps
01-14-2004, 10:25 PM
Hondata.

Vertigo
01-14-2004, 11:03 PM
Get the wheels first. I always try to knock out the expensive mods first.

IIx 03 EP xII
01-15-2004, 08:09 AM
well...machiii.net says they have 100 or so in stock?? so i dont know about the back order... maybe they are wrong. but i think im gonna go with rims... besides its alot easier to just order the rims and then not have to worry about letting my car sit with no ECU for a few days.

DavidT
01-15-2004, 08:20 PM
No doubt about it Hondata. In the long run, if you're a performance enthusiast you'll wish you went with Hondata if you get rims. Rims don't do anything but enhance your car's looks. I think the EP already looks pretty good dropped on stock rims but that's me :)

SiRman
01-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Rims don't do anything but enhance your car's looks

I disagree, rims have performance aspects as well, the lighter the wheels the less unsprung weight(Handling), and less rotational mass(Acceleration). If you get wider rims, you have more contact patch(Traction). So if the rims you get are lighter then the stockies, there is some performance advantages. Although these gains may not be perceivable if you are just cruising around town for girls. Depends what you want out of the rims I guess, bling or performance.

NuG
01-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Yeah get the Hondata first since it costs the most. You could always sell your stock wheels and get some Rota's, that's what I did.

I sold my stocks for $400 and paid $650 for my C8's. In the end it'll cost you less. It's the only logic thing to do :D

Good luck with whatever you decide

IIx 03 EP xII
01-15-2004, 08:42 PM
well... i believe rims are more expensive than hondata... and it would be tough to sell my rims for that much around here. the rims are 500 for the set... and then add in tires... and i want falken azenis... so thats another 400 or more. rims get expensive... unless i can find some used. thanks for the opinions though... alot of ideas are running through my head.

i-WERKS
01-16-2004, 07:51 AM
I'd say rims.. You're not going to shift at 8000 rpm all the time unless you race a lot. You're probably shifting below 5000rpm during normal driving anyways. If you get a set of light weight rims, you definatly feel the difference in handling and acceleration during normal driving and spirited driving.

02NJHondaep3
01-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Tires and light Rims make a big difference. Hondata will add minimal performance. You dont even have headers or anything else so your gains will be minimal. Improving handling on the ep3 is sweet! I'm not a rim fan but those falkens will make the difference. With the drop, your car will ride nice.

SpoonEP3
01-17-2004, 12:11 AM
hondata of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chubbychu
01-17-2004, 12:18 AM
HONDATAAAA....

this is why i think you should get hondata.

1) speed before looks right?
2) new tires and rims wont make as noticible differnce as hondata.
3) comon now 7.6k revs?!

dofu
01-17-2004, 07:45 AM
eh... my ep is my street car, so i got basic needs first... i/h/e, dropped, wheels, system. next suspension, then more power... still workin on that last one tho lol.

hard choice tho... sleeper or bling? i'd go with sleeper... get the reflash. (i'll get one after engine swap... whenever i can afford that)

02NJHondaep3
01-17-2004, 10:17 AM
If you want sleeper do what I did. I bought some nittos and slapped them on my stock rims. Still to be honest I don't think Hondata will give you such a big gain unless you have more engine work done.

Its up to you.

D16Y8_Turbo
01-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Hondata.

SiR_d1
01-17-2004, 12:07 PM
both:D

j/j go w/ Hondata