PDA

View Full Version : EBD on our cars

Burgh
01-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Okay, someone who knows about this EBD (electronic brake distribution) thing on our cars, please explain it to me. Does it basically adjust brake bias on the fly electronically?

I just finished reading the latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports which has an awesome article on brake bias and why it's SO important for stopping distances. They mentioned that a brake proportioning system can help alter the brake bias to optimal settings for any condition. I was just curious as to whether our EBD system does just exactly that.

TIA

BlairSpeed
01-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Burgh
Okay, someone who knows about this EBD (electronic brake distribution) thing on our cars, please explain it to me. Does it basically adjust brake bias on the fly electronically?

I just finished reading the latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports which has an awesome article on brake bias and why it's SO important for stopping distances. They mentioned that a brake proportioning system can help alter the brake bias to optimal settings for any condition. I was just curious as to whether our EBD system does just exactly that.

TIA

Well, from my understanding, EBD is alot like all wheel drive in the sense that it applies more pressure to the wheels that grip during breaking. So, if your stopping and one of your tires triggers the ABS, then EBD comes in and applies more braking power to the other tires that have more grip.

Thats about all i know

Mighty_Mouse
01-15-2004, 10:12 PM
I don't think that's correct. What you've described is ABS, not EBD. EBD is more of an anti-skid or yaw-control system. It regulates braking to the rear wheels to help keep the car pointed in a straight line. It uses load and weight transfer to regulate the amount of brake pressure that's send to each end of the car. If there's more weight in the rear of the car, then EBD tells the ABS to send more pressure to the rear wheels because there's less chance of them being unweighted and sliding.

In short, it does exactly what GRM was describing to maximize braking. The RSX's didn't get EBD.

ImPo Skyline
01-15-2004, 11:54 PM
i have a feeling thats correct. that also is an explains how if you pull your E-brake when your moveing it wont lock up your rear tires.
ever noticed that about the E-brake, if your stopped and pull it the back tires lock up nice and tight. but when your moveing and pull it, it bairly has any effect.

glw
01-16-2004, 07:00 AM
i didn't even know we had ebd... good to know i guess.

Originally posted by ImPo Skyline
i have a feeling thats correct. that also is an explains how if you pull your E-brake when your moveing it wont lock up your rear tires.
ever noticed that about the E-brake, if your stopped and pull it the back tires lock up nice and tight. but when your moveing and pull it, it bairly has any effect. i think it's just a poor parking/emergency brake. i think the parking/emergency brake is purely mechanical.

ImPo Skyline
01-16-2004, 10:38 AM
Maby, but in all civics? my friend has one and his dose the same.

BlairSpeed
01-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
I don't think that's correct. What you've described is ABS, not EBD. EBD is more of an anti-skid or yaw-control system. It regulates braking to the rear wheels to help keep the car pointed in a straight line. It uses load and weight transfer to regulate the amount of brake pressure that's send to each end of the car. If there's more weight in the rear of the car, then EBD tells the ABS to send more pressure to the rear wheels because there's less chance of them being unweighted and sliding.

In short, it does exactly what GRM was describing to maximize braking. The RSX's didn't get EBD.

Hmm, I think we are both right on this, i think ABS simply stops the tires from skidding by rapidly applying and releasing the break pressure to stop as fast as possible without skidding. But I dont think ABS transfers the breaking power to other wheels, thats where EBD comes in. Hence the name, Electronic Brake DISTIRBUTION.

For example: If your coming to a sudden stop and you slam on the breaks and your tires start to lock up. ABS comes in and rapidly applies/releases the breaks, then EBD comes in and distributes the breaking power, keeping you in a straight line, by applying more breaking power to the wheels with the most grip.