PDA

View Full Version : SEMA - California Exhaust Noise Testing Program Proves Overwhelming Success

irrational
01-15-2004, 09:30 AM
Got this email from SEMA the other day and wanted to share it with you guys:

-------------------------------------------------------------

CALIFORNIA EXHAUST NOISE TESTING PROGRAM PROVES OVERWHELMING
SUCCESS
Nine of Ten Vehicles Tested by BAR Are in Compliance with California Law

WASHINGTON (Jan. 14, 2004) -- The California Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR)
reports that approximately 90 percent of the nearly-600 vehicles that have undergone the
state's new exhaust-noise test have been certified to be in compliance with California
law. BAR began operation of the motor vehicle exhaust noise-testing program in late
summer 2003. The program, the product of a SEMA-sponsored law, allows California
hobbyists to prove their vehicles comply with state noise standards.

"This information validates our long-held contention that a vast majority of citations
written for violation of California's exhaust noise laws are, in fact, erroneous," said SEMA
Senior Director of Government Affairs Steve McDonald. "For years, the enforcement
policy used by police officers has deemed nearly all exhaust system modifications illegal,
even when the noise levels met state standards."

The law also allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested
and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued. The 40 Smog Check stations
that provide referee functions are performing the test. These referee stations are issuing
certificates of compliance for vehicles when tests of their exhaust systems demonstrate
that they emit no more than 95decibels under SAE test procedure J1169. However, only
those vehicles that have received a citation for an exhaust noise violation are permitted
to submit their vehicle for the test.

"Motorists who modify their vehicles for durability, appearance and performance prefer
aftermarket exhaust systems," McDonald added. "By establishing this evenhanded
testing process, this program is proving to benefit consumers who favor these state-of-
the-art products, the aftermarket industry which markets them and even police officers
who are charged with enforcing the law."

BAR has yet to issue a regulation to provide for the cost to consumers for performing the
test. Tests are currently being performed at no cost to consumers. BAR has established a
toll free number (800/622-7733) to accept phone calls from motorists who have received
citations for excessive exhaust noise and wish to have the test performed. BAR officials
have asked that cited motorists have the citation and vehicle registration information
available when calling.

SEMA represents the $27 billion specialty automotive industry. Founded in 1963, the
trade association has 5,222 member companies. It is the authoritative source of research
data, trends and market growth information for automakers and the specialty auto
products industry. The industry provides appearance, performance, comfort,
convenience and technology products for passenger cars, minivans, trucks, SUVs and
recreational vehicles. For more information, contact SEMA at 1575 S. Valley Vista Dr.,
Diamond Bar, CA, 91765-3914; call 909/396-0289; or visit www.sema.org or
www.enjoythedrive.com.

# # #

Image (1) available at: www.sema.org/images/32266.jpg
CAPTION (1): Approximately 90 percent of the nearly-600 vehicles that have undergone
California's new exhaust-noise test have been certified to be in compliance with
California law.

Image (2) available at: www.sema.org/images/32267.jpg
CAPTION (2): California Bureau of Automotive Repair technicians use the Society of
Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 to check that a vehicle's exhaust
noise is no more than 95decibels specified by California law.

anjapower
01-15-2004, 11:15 AM
too much reading, CN please.

civic hatch boi
01-15-2004, 11:20 AM
summary.... cops used to give tickets for loud exhausts... sema tested 600 cars and over 90% passed the loudness test and says the enforcement has error

in short... you can have a fart can, and wont get a ticket unless its super duper farty.

02NJHondaep3
01-16-2004, 10:27 AM
dont forget call (800/622-7733) if you got a ticket for fart cannin and they will test it for you.

STP03BlueSI
01-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Dont have to worry about that law in FL:)

irrational
01-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by 02NJHondaep3
dont forget call (800/622-7733) if you got a ticket for fart cannin and they will test it for you. dats right man. i am suprised that more people did not get that piece of information.

66elwood99
01-16-2004, 12:48 PM
In Pennsylvania they have established decible maximums for exhaust, what they failed to do though, Was supply the police with an instrument to measure the decibles :D
The two major cities (Pittsburgh & Philly) have meters, but they generally use them for loud stereos.
We have no problems with the exhaust Cops ;)

02NJHondaep3
01-16-2004, 02:51 PM
If i wouldve known about this I wouldve fought the ticket i got when i was in my friends 240sx. He has I/H/E. Apex N1 and it passed emmissions. I was so pissed.

dofu
01-17-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by 02NJHondaep3
If i wouldve known about this I wouldve fought the ticket i got when i was in my friends 240sx. He has I/H/E. Apex N1 and it passed emmissions. I was so pissed.

its not about smog. exhausts dont clean shit anyways... its about how loud your exhaust is... but 95dbs? what quality exhaust system (greddy, hks, tanabe, dc, apexi, etc...) cant beat that?