PDA

View Full Version : using different front and rear brake pads

tony speed
01-15-2004, 02:38 PM
A friend of mine warned me that if I use different brake pads on the front and rear and the rear pads are stickier, I will mess up the brake bias of the car. Do you think this claim is true? Can the pads alone be that much different to make a significant difference?

mrfixit687
01-15-2004, 03:54 PM
yes

Zero Three Si
01-15-2004, 08:45 PM
I'd have to say so...

Check out the manual on how are brake system works. I don't think it would make a MAJOR difference. To those that are anal, they might be able to notice it.

goy091
01-16-2004, 10:47 PM
yea it will be biased more toward the rear, although i doubt, unless its consideribly more aggressive than the front pads, that youd feel a huge difference, maybe on a road course for a lapping day or something along the lines of really really heating up the brakes.

the front brakes of the car do most of the braking work, by changing the front pads alone you can feel a noticble increase in brake bite. i have hawk HP+ pads i used for a track event at buttonwillow and the car felt pretty good with just a change of pads in the front.

chunky
01-16-2004, 11:45 PM
I think the car benefits from a little more rear brake bias.

I've run stickier pads in the rear, and it doesn't affect the stability of the car at all when you brake hard in a straight line. when you come around a turn, it does want to rotate a bit more. but that can be a good thing.

glw
01-16-2004, 11:51 PM
doesn't ebd fix all that up?