PDA

View Full Version : People with metal shift knobs.............??

icegrill
01-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Does the shift knob get extremely cold or hot depending on where you live? I really like the looks of an aluminum knob but have to deal with cold temperatures regularly. Let me know your experience. Thanks

Finger
01-15-2004, 03:07 PM
don't stick your tongue on it in winter :p

Mugen_EP
01-15-2004, 03:08 PM
I have the CTR knob and in the cold I freeze my hand and in the summer I burn my hand.:D It will generally become cabin temperature within 10 minutes or so.

I live in SoCal.;)

Civicvtec1ps
01-15-2004, 03:20 PM
Yes but i can live with that.

chubbychu
01-15-2004, 03:25 PM
yea its not THAT Bad...its just cold like a soda in the winter...havent had it in the summer yet.

ULTRAMANIA
01-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
yea its not THAT Bad...its just cold like a soda in the winter...havent had it in the summer yet.

yea i have the RSX base shift knob on my car.. its nothing you need to be concerned about.. yea it does get cold in the winter and hot in the summer.. but, after you shift a few times the temp. of the knob will adapt to the temp. of your hand or vise versa. ;)

it shouldn't be a problem.

davidc81
01-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Mugen_EP
I have the CTR knob and in the cold I freeze my hand and in the summer I burn my hand.:D It will generally become cabin temperature within 10 minutes or so.

I live in SoCal.;)

brrrr.... a cold so cal night is like 60 degrees, you must have really sensitive hands! :p

Peking
01-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Dude stop being a pootang and grab that beotch :D

Mugen_EP
01-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by davidc81
brrrr.... a cold so cal night is like 60 degrees, you must have really sensitive hands! :p

Hence the smiley face and the wink. I never have any problems with shift knob temp.

Sarcasim doesnt translate well over the internet.;)

Zigen5
01-15-2004, 03:42 PM
I have the skunk2 knob on mine and I don't feel the difference. I guess you just get use to it and don't think about it. If your that concerned, buy a Mugen or Spoon sock and put that on your knob. :eek: :confused: ;)

civic hatch boi
01-15-2004, 04:14 PM
cold is nothing. but in the scorching sun, just put a wrist band on it or something to cover the sun.

chubbychu
01-15-2004, 04:42 PM
yea i was thinking a sock or something

dofu
01-15-2004, 08:35 PM
i gots a titanium shift knob... never had a problem with hot... as for cold, it dont get that cold where im at.

rel0aded
01-15-2004, 09:09 PM
i put a baby sock on my skunk2 knob when its too cold to hold... dam these canadian winters:'(

Civicvtec1ps
01-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Some company sell leather shift knob sock.

ImPo Skyline
01-16-2004, 12:02 AM
i have a solid greddy knob. and yes, it gets really cold and really really hot.

raiyo
01-16-2004, 01:55 AM
make a homemade glove thingy for the knob. it helps on cold and hot days. leave it on when not driving.

STP03BlueSI
01-16-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Zigen5
I have the skunk2 knob on mine and I don't feel the difference. I guess you just get use to it and don't think about it. If your that concerned, buy a Mugen or Spoon sock and put that on your knob. :eek: :confused: ;)

hahahahahahaahaha thats what i do. Put my spoon sock on it:D

EP3RII
01-16-2004, 07:50 AM
babies socks, they even curve to fit round the shaft :D

rgGolf4
01-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Its been so cold here, that no matter what kind of knob you have, it will be cold. I have an aluminum Race Momo knob and it gets really cold. The worst is that its so cold that frost builds up on it. Obviously, I've been wearing gloves and after the first shift, my glove sticks to the knob. Kinda sucks, but even leather would be freezing. I think its about -5 F and -15 to -25 with the wind chill. The Honda has been tough though, and hasn't skipped a beat in this weather. Although I'm going through gas like crazy. My cold air intake must really be working!!

ImPo Skyline
01-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Frost on the shift knob? Are you sure your windows are closed?

02NJHondaep3
01-16-2004, 12:22 PM
doesnt matter hot or cold... it'll make you shift faster :D

MolonLabe
01-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Best excuse EVER for wearing badass looking leather gloves in wintertime.

02NJHondaep3
01-16-2004, 12:37 PM
chill serial killer hehe jk.

rgGolf4
01-16-2004, 01:01 PM
I think the frost is from the rapid change in temp. If I'm driving around with the heat on, the inside is warm, then when I get to work or something it cools right down in a matter of minutes. My guess is that there is some humidity in the car from me breathing or from snow melting.

I noticed you are from Arizona, you have no idea what -10 degree temps (-25 to -40 wind chill) will do. One local weatherman wet a T-shirt and set it outside. he did his forecast and at the end (maybe 2 or 3 minutes)he grabbed the shirt. Stiff as a board. It froze in only a couple of minutes. And then he took a cup of water, threw it into the air and it turned into ice crystals. Its unbelievably cold here in MA. They closed schools because they feared kids who didn't get bussed, would get frostbite walking to school (or even waiting for the bus). The news said it takes only 5-10 min to get frostbite in this cold. I think we broke records from the 1800's or something.

TrippZ
01-16-2004, 01:12 PM
yeah i heard about that! i want to see snow and all but umm thats kinda scary when you can freeze the tip of your dong off in 10 minutes!

STP03BlueSI
01-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by rgGolf4
I think the frost is from the rapid change in temp. If I'm driving around with the heat on, the inside is warm, then when I get to work or something it cools right down in a matter of minutes. My guess is that there is some humidity in the car from me breathing or from snow melting.

I noticed you are from Arizona, you have no idea what -10 degree temps (-25 to -40 wind chill) will do. One local weatherman wet a T-shirt and set it outside. he did his forecast and at the end (maybe 2 or 3 minutes)he grabbed the shirt. Stiff as a board. It froze in only a couple of minutes. And then he took a cup of water, threw it into the air and it turned into ice crystals. Its unbelievably cold here in MA. They closed schools because they feared kids who didn't get bussed, would get frostbite walking to school (or even waiting for the bus). The news said it takes only 5-10 min to get frostbite in this cold. I think we broke records from the 1800's or something.

Damn thats COLD!!:confused:

vtecnrg
01-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Finger
don't stick your tongue on it in winter :p

LOL: That happened once when I was a kid, but not on shift knob but instead the Jungle Gym. If I could build on this bit of wisdom:
don't stick your tounge on it in the summer either

Mighty_Mouse
01-16-2004, 06:47 PM
Just get a Ti knob. Ti doesn't have near the thermal conductivity as Al so it stays cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

BarracksSi
01-20-2004, 01:16 AM
*ding ding ding*

Somebody finally said "thermal conductivity"!

Every knob material is just as cold as the next. The metal ones just feel colder because their higher transfer of heat factor absorbs the heat from your hand more quickly. They'll also cool down more quickly, shedding their heat into the air (ever seen a heatsink made out of leather?).

Same thing with hot knobs -- metal will heat up your hand faster than leather.

I haven't gotten frost on mine yet (garaged most of the time), but it's making me think of going back to a stock knob. I'd have to get a stock boot as well, though.

Is it definitely the stock RSX knob that looks almost identical to the CTR knob? I'd like to try one of those for a while, just to be sure whether I'd like to keep a metal knob or not.