PDA

View Full Version : H22 or K20 cant decide.. need Advice

DrunkMonk
01-16-2004, 05:11 AM
Sorry guys, this might not be in the right thread, but the DrunkMonk is in much a dilemma.

I have an pretty much brand new EP with about 7k miles on it.
I also have a 95 Civic Cp with a blown D Block, which we will from now on refer to as the EG.

The EG was heavily 'riced' from my high school days..its got the body kit the springs, rims exhaust, the works.
It served its purpose and got me many a booty call back in the day. Wasnt really focused on performance.
Now the motor is blown, so I ran into a good deal on an EP and picked it up.

My goal now is to go as fast as I possibly can for about $5 Grand.
I can either toss the EG and turbo the EP, cybernation down the street says I can get like 260whp on the stage one.
Or keep the EG, gut it out and drop a H22 in there, and maybe boost that.
That would cost more, but would it be faster than a boosted K series in the long run? The reign of the H & B blocks are over, and I dont want to throw my $$ in the wrong direction.

Opinions?

1FSTEP3
01-16-2004, 06:58 AM
Don't get a H22 for the EG. My EP is faster than an EG with that set-up. I would suggest selling the EG and taking the money you have for a swap. Since it will be your only car you want something that is reliable as a daily driver. Also, all motor is more fun! :)

chunky
01-16-2004, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by DrunkMonk
Sorry guys, this might not be in the right thread, but the DrunkMonk is in much a dilemma.

I have an pretty much brand new EP with about 7k miles on it.
I also have a 95 Civic Cp with a blown D Block, which we will from now on refer to as the EG.

The EG was heavily 'riced' from my high school days..its got the body kit the springs, rims exhaust, the works.
It served its purpose and got me many a booty call back in the day. Wasnt really focused on performance.
Now the motor is blown, so I ran into a good deal on an EP and picked it up.

My goal now is to go as fast as I possibly can for about $5 Grand.
I can either toss the EG and turbo the EP, cybernation down the street says I can get like 260whp on the stage one.
Or keep the EG, gut it out and drop a H22 in there, and maybe boost that.
That would cost more, but would it be faster than a boosted K series in the long run? The reign of the H & B blocks are over, and I dont want to throw my $$ in the wrong direction.

Opinions?

build the EG into a track car. gut the hell out of it, sell the body kit & whatever other cosmetic mods you have. Swap a b16 or b18 into it. buy some r-compound tires, and start going to track days. loads of fun.

keep the ep3 as a DD for now. :)

Peking
01-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by chunky
build the EG into a track car. gut the hell out of it, sell the body kit & whatever other cosmetic mods you have. Swap a b16 or b18 into it. buy some r-compound tires, and start going to track days. loads of fun.
keep the ep3 as a DD for now. :)

Agreed, good platform for a great track car. H22 is not as easy to find, and part are more expensive compared to a B16 motor. Then you would have two SI motors :D

02NJHondaep3
01-16-2004, 09:08 AM
H22 is tooo heavy. B18B (LS motor) and a revhard turbo in your eg. I wouldn't buy a turbo for the ep3 just yet. i have a feeling more research and better things will be out.

Sb00
01-16-2004, 11:22 AM
K20 in the EG ? :D

02NJHondaep3
01-16-2004, 11:31 AM
K20 in the EG ?

I retract my previous statement, Sboo is right.

DavidT
01-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Dude, even though the B16 is small. That's the perfect platform to make a very revvy motor. Look at buying a mildly built B16 or just get the CTR B16B. 9000 RPMs man, that's 3000 RPMs on it's wicked VTEC lobe. Build it alittle more and push it thing towards 11000 RPMs :) I don't really care for torque for a race car, because gearing will make up the difference especially with a 9k redline motor because you can always stay near or at it's VTEC switchover. And when it does switchover, the noise is to die for. :cool:

02NJHondaep3
01-16-2004, 12:26 PM
but torque is very important in turns and the K-series I heard is lighter than the b16.

03silverEP
01-16-2004, 04:28 PM
if the ep is your DD, keep it that way. major mods will void the warrenty. Putting a K into an eg will be $$. You could get an H22 for $2000 or a B16a for $2000 http://www.japanmotorimport.com/ it will be heavier in front but not that bad, you can get springs w/a higher rating to comp. for the heavier motor. I agree w/the idea of stripping the eg and making it a drag/autox/circuit car. that would be fun as hell! another option put a $300 D16z6 sohc vtec in there and get the edlebrock victor X turbo kit ($3500) it comes with everything, including a new intake manifold, injectors, computer, intercooler, boost gauge&pod, and ball bearing turbo. much you can do w/an eg have fun!

k20hatch
01-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Id make a track car...I think it would be awsome to have a car to run around at the track...I used to take mine...since ive had everything done to it i havnt takeing it to my local track because its like a mile long rocky, bumpy, terrible road to get to it...Id love to have a little car just to tear up the track and mess around in....i have my 1990 honda civic rain ride....but it may lay down like a 40 somthing in the quarter...:D

DrunkMonk
01-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Great advice guys, keep it comin...

Im going to keep the EG.

I'll wait for more R&D on the K block before I invest in it. By then my warranty should be up.

Why is everyone against an H22 motor? It might be a heavy motor, but not much heavier that a B18 (seriously) and torque wins races.
I can get an H22 for aroung 2G's ..about 3G's completed in after everything is in.. then i can run mid-low 13's on a gutted chassis.. boost that after a few months and im toying with supra's (which is my over-all goal).. theres a few Supras in the orlando area that I would love to rip a new one.

theres not too many boosted H22's.. theres not too many boosted h22's in EG chassis.. the ones that are, with the proper fuel management are running mid-11's low 12's some are in the 10's on stock internals.

I'm not trying to make a fast car, im trying to make an EXTREMLY fast car.

K20 in an EG? not anytime soon. Thats serious $$

Correct me if im wrong in any of my previous statements, ive only worked with D-Series motors. whats the HP output on that Victor-x kit?

chunky
01-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Great advice guys, keep it comin...

Im going to keep the EG.

I'll wait for more R&D on the K block before I invest in it. By then my warranty should be up.

Why is everyone against an H22 motor? It might be a heavy motor, but not much heavier that a B18 (seriously) and torque wins races.
I can get an H22 for aroung 2G's ..about 3G's completed in after everything is in.. then i can run mid-low 13's on a gutted chassis.. boost that after a few months and im toying with supra's (which is my over-all goal).. theres a few Supras in the orlando area that I would love to rip a new one.

theres not too many boosted H22's.. theres not too many boosted h22's in EG chassis.. the ones that are, with the proper fuel management are running mid-11's low 12's some are in the 10's on stock internals.

I'm not trying to make a fast car, im trying to make an EXTREMLY fast car.

K20 in an EG? not anytime soon. Thats serious $$

Correct me if im wrong in any of my previous statements, ive only worked with D-Series motors. whats the HP output on that Victor-x kit?

I'm not a big fan of the h22 b/c they haven't proven themselves to be significantly better than the b-series motors. Yes, they are heavier, but the biggest issue is that they sit farther forward in the engine bay, which is even worse for weight distribution.

With the extra .4L they have over the b18c1, they should totally dominate the b18, but they don't. The torque is nice, but i haven't seen that it gives the h22 swapped hatches around here much of an advantage over the b-series swapped hatches.

Not to mention, b-series upgrade parts are WAY cheaper. It's almost certain that you can get the b18c1 swap & turbo it for a lot less than you could do the same with an H22, and you'd be just as fast.

Being different is nice and all, but I think the b-series are the way to go. Better head design makes up for the lack of displacement. You could always have the motor bored& sleeved to a 2L. the 2L b-series that i've seen are just plain nasty.

LordKoo
01-16-2004, 09:17 PM
DrunkMonk, you are really drunk are you not?

Keeping the EG and EP, and you are dealing with two expenses here. I were you, I would keep only EP and get rid of EG. This way, I can concenrate all my resources on one car, the EP. EP can be made into track car and daily car with resources for just one. It is simply more economical this way...

H & B series engine days are over... Nothing more to talk about... Even though older plaform has better suspension setup, unless you are talking about real hard core racing you would not bother too much about it. Newer car like EP has better structure rigidity that old cars are hard to keep up.

That is my $.2 cents worth.

DrunkMonk
01-16-2004, 10:40 PM
Lordkoo, no I am not a monk... ;)

Are you really koo or not? :cool:

That two expense thing crossed my mind... but It would be nicer to have a second car to drive in case something happens. My Ep is still under warranty so im not f-in with it.

as for the H vs B discussion.. anyone know any boosted B18's or 16's affordable ones running 11's on stock internals? send me a link or a vid or something...

chubbychu
01-16-2004, 11:17 PM
i dunno, but when i think of old verses new....new usually is better.

if it were me, k20a baby!

DrunkMonk
01-17-2004, 12:36 AM
The whole H vs B arguement has been going on in honda-tech for ages, I dont feel like bringing it here...

The question was to keep or not to keep the EG.. if the EG is kept, im going H22 unless i can get a HELLA (and by hella I mean damn near free) good deal on a B18.

do some research on the H22's at www.honda-tech.com

Peking
01-17-2004, 04:11 AM
The whole H vs B arguement has been going on in honda-tech for ages, I dont feel like bringing it here...

The question was to keep or not to keep the EG.. if the EG is kept, im going H22 unless i can get a HELLA (and by hella I mean damn near free) good deal on a B18.

do some research on the H22's at www.honda-tech.com

We pretty much know what the H22 is, just there were more B series. As you well know. Also just like you know that many of the places where you can get these motors and trannys are now saying that supply is having a hard time with keeping up with demand. So what does this mean, the reign of the B-series is coming to an end. The time for the K-series is upon us. You can get the mounts from hasport, and you can get an SI motor from Adam. He is selling his A3 at a good price IMO.

02NJHondaep3
01-17-2004, 10:34 AM
Peking man you took the words out of my mouth. He's right the B series will be supported by older enthusiasts but the K-series is the wave of the future. Many Pro-Racers say Honda is pushing the K-Series and not supplying as many B-series motors and trannies. Like it or not The K-series will replace the B series.

justinlee0109
01-17-2004, 07:58 PM
i agree with most of the guys. keep the eg and gut it out. keep it clean tho.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p7d658ff61b00e292469fabb38395909b/faf3f522.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p89c94f383bc5ff0cbfcac72f3326a329/faf41984.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p319d53a7ee98db2bd9d110f20bb18109/fabc4083.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/paf2ecb35f25aa587a610047bf4f4cd81/fa473026.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid93/p3baedc718ea06a5bd00f56a64f3cf20c/fa472f4e.jpg

;)

k20hatch
01-17-2004, 10:04 PM
If your going to build a drag car just for the strip...Def go h22..Or a b20 vtec set up...only get b20 if your thinking about turbo...get alot of power...If your going to road race it...Go with a b-series or ls vtec set up...

02HatchSI
01-18-2004, 10:56 AM
or do the monster swap of the k24 and k20a2 or better yet if it works k20a head on it... that'll def. be a beast!