PDA

View Full Version : aem v2 intake...

blanblu
01-16-2004, 12:01 PM
anyone try this on their ep? guess i'm just fishing for feedback... :D

sivaji
01-17-2004, 02:36 AM
just ordered a v2 for my car a few days ago. i shud be getting it in 6-10 days. once i install it.. ill tell you :)

Peking
01-17-2004, 04:06 AM
Did you try a search, I remember a few members getting it.

1fastminivan
01-18-2004, 02:31 AM
You wont regret getting it......its freaking awesome!!! Sounds sooooooo nice!!!!:D

sivaji
01-19-2004, 11:15 PM
you cant do a search on the v2 kuz its only 2 letters. minimum number of search letters is 3.

IIx 03 EP xII
01-20-2004, 01:05 PM
i have the AEM V2, and i LOOOOOOVE it. it makes the EP sounds like a monster. paired up with a magnaflow catback... it IS a monster. the difference is felt up top the most though. GET IT!!!

Peking
01-21-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by sivaji
you cant do a search on the v2 kuz its only 2 letters. minimum number of search letters is 3.

After V2 you use the *

sivaji
01-22-2004, 12:16 AM
yea! just installed the sucker today.. i LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you slightly gas.. then it sounds like a stock civic... but when you get up high and really STEP on it.. it ROARS... and you feel more power.

Spazhead
01-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by sivaji
yea! just installed the sucker today.. i LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you slightly gas.. then it sounds like a stock civic... but when you get up high and really STEP on it.. it ROARS... and you feel more power.

Looks great!! but why is the decal upside down?

blanblu
01-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Spazhead
Looks great!! but why is the decal upside down?

cuz the motor is backwards too... :D
thanks for the input guys... i got one, can't wait to throw it on...

JapanExpress
01-22-2004, 10:29 AM
I'll be ordering one in the spring. This intake is the best one on the market for the Si. :cool:

BSEVEER
01-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Bout how much is it goin for?

fsugatorbait
01-22-2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by JapanExpress
This intake is the best one on the market for the Si.

What makes you say that? :confused:
There have been no independant dyno's posted that even come close to suggesting that the 17whp gain listed on AEM's website is correct. All it is, is a glorified SRI. Until we see some actual #'s, your comment is an opinion only.

blanblu
01-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
What makes you say that? :confused:
There have been no independant dyno's posted that even come close to suggesting that the 17whp gain listed on AEM's website is correct. All it is, is a glorified SRI. Until we see some actual #'s, your comment is an opinion only.

apparently, i read that they will be updating the website to say that the dyno test included an exhaust system... and that it was an honest mistake... :angel: <-- riiiiiight... even so, the number is pretty high... either way, i don't believe anyone is purchasing the v2 solely based on this claim... what aem is doing is called marketing... everyone does it...to a certain extent... i guess i am taking a chance on new technology with the v2 but just as with the sri, it makes me feel a bit better/safer when i drive over large puddles... :D is it worth ~$250? i doubt it... but just about everyone is giving it positive reviews... is it the best on the market for our cars? do some research... but don't be hatin' for an opinion...

JapanExpress
01-22-2004, 01:47 PM
This intake is the best one on the market for the Si.

I have seen actual numbers, and I have no reason to doubt them. So my opinion stands.

fsugatorbait
01-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by blanblu
apparently, i read that they will be updating the website to say that the dyno test included an exhaust system... and that it was an honest mistake... :angel: <-- riiiiiight... even so, the number is pretty high... either way, i don't believe anyone is purchasing the v2 solely based on this claim... what aem is doing is called marketing... everyone does it...to a certain extent... i guess i am taking a chance on new technology with the v2 but just as with the sri, it makes me feel a bit better/safer when i drive over large puddles... :D is it worth ~$250? i doubt it... but just about everyone is giving it positive reviews... is it the best on the market for our cars? do some research... but don't be hatin' for an opinion...

thats exactly what there doing to try to increase sales. I just dont like to see someone say that this is better than that based on manufacturs claims. It can be extremely misleading to someone who is new to stuff like this. I wasnt hatin, just stating my opinion. :)

fsugatorbait
01-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by JapanExpress
I have seen actual numbers, and I have no reason to doubt them. So my opinion stands.

Ok, what were the #'s you have seen and from who? Feel free to share with the group.

Gasp23
01-22-2004, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't pay $250 for a SRI but it looks pretty cool. I like the color.

Low Rider
01-22-2004, 02:10 PM
If the V2 has it's air filter in the engine bay, how can it be considered a cold air intake? I'm confused, isn't the idea to pull the air in from outside the engine bay? What do you guys think? I would not be surprized if the CAI was even better than the V2.

fsugatorbait
01-22-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Low Rider
If the V2 has it's air filter in the engine bay, how can it be considered a cold air intake? I'm confused, isn't the idea to pull the air in from outside the engine bay? What do you guys think? I would not be surprized if the CAI was even better than the V2.

The v2 for 99% of the applications is a CAI, however on our car and the RSX its just a glorified SRI. You are correct in assuming that their standard CAI will out perform this. Dyno or no dyno, there is no way that an intake that draws air from inside the engine bay will show any gains from one that is taking air from outside.

blanblu
01-22-2004, 02:32 PM
The v2 for 99% of the applications is a CAI, however on our car and the RSX its just a glorified SRI. You are correct in assuming that their standard CAI will out perform this. Dyno or no dyno, there is no way that an intake that draws air from inside the engine bay will show any gains from one that is taking air from outside.

to add to that, here is some info on why that application is different on our cars... from the AEM website (FAQ section):

Question
My V2 does not route the filter outside of the engine compartment. Why is my V2 application an underhood system?

Answer
V2 systems are developed to produce maximum power. This does not always mean that the V2 will be a long runner configuration. AEM performs extensive R&D for every application (including V2 systems), both with respect to length tuning and inlet temperature testing. We will always manufacture the best performing product, regardless of its configuration and what the industry generally accepts as a

fsugatorbait
01-22-2004, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blanblu
Answer
V2 systems are developed to produce maximum power. This does not always mean that the V2 will be a long runner configuration. AEM performs extensive R&D for every application (including V2 systems), both with respect to length tuning and inlet temperature testing. We will always manufacture the best performing product, regardless of its configuration and what the industry generally accepts as a

Low Rider
01-22-2004, 02:41 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmm...:rolleyes:

blanblu
01-22-2004, 03:04 PM
This is what I read...http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/pd893460aa807e013066115e7509d1d25/fa08c2ae.gif

EDIT: A paragraph to say that its a modified SRI. LOL :D

trust me, i frowned upon it too... however, aside from the marketing aspect of things, why should someone not believe that aem has tested the v2 thoroughly and has actual proof that the underhood application is the one that performs best on ep3/dc5...? there has to be a valid reason for this... it's not like they couldn't have built it like a true cai for our cars too... one can only speculate that the reason our application is different is because it indeed performs better as an underhood... this does NOT mean that an sri outperforms a cai...

fsugatorbait
01-22-2004, 03:36 PM
trust me, i frowned upon it too... however, aside from the marketing aspect of things, why should someone not believe that aem has tested the v2 thoroughly and has actual proof that the underhood application is the one that performs best on ep3/dc5...? there has to be a valid reason for this... it's not like they couldn't have built it like a true cai for our cars too... one can only speculate that the reason our application is different is because it indeed performs better as an underhood... this does NOT mean that an sri outperforms a cai...

To say the least, ill believe it when I see it.

blanblu
01-22-2004, 03:57 PM
To say the least, ill believe it when I see it.

like i said, cai will outperform sri... noone can argue that... but we're talking about different technology here... we don't know much about it... i guess time and dynos will tell... :D

so aem's claim sounds like a sales pitch (of course, who doesn't do this?)... but at the same time, what would aem gain from making the ep3/dc5 application a cai as opposed to a sri...? nothing... they'd sell the v2 no matter what... so, i'm thinking that if they built it this way, there has to be a good reason... they got to have tested this thoroughly and shown better results with the sri, otherwise, why would they bother (especially just for 2 cars)...? *shrugs* who knows? :confused:

sivaji
02-10-2004, 11:00 PM
i dont know how you all feel about the v2.. but i have it and i love it.. i feel a GRIP more power.

fsugatorbait
02-11-2004, 07:31 AM
there are a few dyno's floating around that show its an overhyped SRI. Only benefit if you can call it one is the aggressive sound.

blanblu
02-16-2004, 08:10 PM
there are a few dyno's floating around that show its an overhyped SRI. Only benefit if you can call it one is the aggressive sound.

this should clear it all up once and for all... :D temple of vtec decided to do a dyno on the v2... the link below should take you directly to the "Dyno Results" section... if not, you can select from a pulldown menu...

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?page_number=4&article_id=186660

fsugatorbait
02-17-2004, 07:10 AM
yeah, I read that a little while ago. It gained 2-5 hp above 4k and lost torque and hp below 4k.

sivaji
02-20-2004, 09:34 AM
i can take a stock ep a car length or more on about a 1/4 mile if not shorter and i only have the v2 and lowering springs

blanblu
03-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by IIx 03 EP xII
i have the AEM V2, and i LOOOOOOVE it. it makes the EP sounds like a monster. paired up with a magnaflow catback... it IS a monster. the difference is felt up top the most though. GET IT!!!

just installed both of these this weekend and i couldn't agree more!!!
scored a nice day yesterday (michigan weather :( ) and put them on... the car was in storage for 2 months and after taking it for a spin, oh man!!!!! :D the difference in performance and sound is well worth the money... of course the exhaust has not gone thru the break-in period but it sounds VERY good! yet you can definitely hear the v2 over the exhaust... sweet stuff! :cool:

Tenacious G
03-01-2004, 12:01 PM
what would aem gain from making the ep3/dc5 application a cai as opposed to a sri...? nothing... they'd sell the v2 no matter what... so, i'm thinking that if they built it this way, there has to be a good reason... they got to have tested this thoroughly and shown better results with the sri, otherwise, why would they bother (especially just for 2 cars)...? *shrugs* who knows? :confused:

maybe because the piping is too big for it to extend down like AEM's CAI does?

granted, the filter position is near an opening in the engine bay and it will draw in a little cooler air. however, i'm still skeptical of this product.

two D/FW member dyno'd their cars. one with a regular SRI and exhaust, the other had a V2 and exhaust. both dyno'd about the same.

for me, that's strike one against AEM's power claims (exhaust or no exhaust)

strike two is the TOV test. i find it very interesting that AEM all of a sudden chose to disclose the fact their 17 whp gain was when paired with an aftermarket exhaust once their results were questioned by TOV.

IMO ... SRI < V2 < CAI. but i'm still waiting to totally close the door on the V2. it's an interesting design and concept behind the product. i just have yet to be convinced that the V2 isn't more style and substance.

but i'm glad you're happy with the intake. keep us updated on how you like it.

FCobra94
03-01-2004, 12:17 PM
Yeah. I can't see how a bigger piped SRI (which is what the V2 seams to be) is going to perform that much better than a regular SRI or even a CAI.

What I do think would be cool is if someone came out with a product that surrounded the filter to keep it from sucking in hot air, and coupled that with a ram air hood...that would be sweet! :D

But until then, I hope to be happy w/ my recently ordered AEM CAI *crosses fingers*

Tenacious G
03-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by FCobra94
What I do think would be cool is if someone came out with a product that surrounded the filter to keep it from sucking in hot air, and coupled that with a ram air hood...that would be sweet! :D

comptech's ice box is the closest thing you'll get to that ... or mugen's air box.

sivaji
03-06-2004, 11:38 AM
the v2 isnt just a bigger piped intake.. it actually has thing double layerd thing.. well you gotta see a pic or something for yourself

chibianh
03-06-2004, 12:08 PM
two eps.. both stock except for intake. one has aem cai, one has aem v2. best runs, the ep with aem v2 got 1.2hp more than the ep with aem cai. in the tq department, the aem v2 produced 1.4 lb-ft tq more than the aem cai.

just throwin up some numbers from our CEP3 members' dyno day. :)

Si Death
03-07-2004, 12:41 PM
noob quesiton, do mods like this actually improve gas mileage?

sivaji
03-07-2004, 04:52 PM
chibianh im not disagreeing with you, i actually want to believe it.. but can you prove it? im just saying this nicely be4 other ssee this and start bombin on you :D

FCobra94
03-07-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by chibianh
two eps.. both stock except for intake. one has aem cai, one has aem v2. best runs, the ep with aem v2 got 1.2hp more than the ep with aem cai. in the tq department, the aem v2 produced 1.4 lb-ft tq more than the aem cai.

just throwin up some numbers from our CEP3 members' dyno day. :)

Were those runs done w/ the hood opened or closed?

Also, was there any loss of HP or TQ any where in the RPM range w/ the V2?

Peak gains are nice, but I'm more interested in whats going on in the rest of RPM range...

Tenacious G
03-07-2004, 07:19 PM
i'm not sure about the entire powerband, but here's a thread where several members dyno'd in Dallas.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28838

cliff notes:
ephatch member A: AEM V2 and HKS exhaust: 142.5 whp, 128 tq.
ephatch member B: K&N Typhoon (SRI) and Magnaflow: 148 whp, 129 tq.

either the Magnaflow is a kick-ass exhaust or the V2 doesn't live up to they hype.

and don't forget about the Club RSX thread where a DC5-S lost a little bit of low-end grunt and only saw peak gains of about 5 whp.