PDA

View Full Version : Challenge or not too???

BlkEpHatch02
01-16-2004, 04:36 PM
this is a poll whether or not i should challenge this ticket i got for running a red light...i was already under the light when it turned red and the cop said i ran it..he had another officer with him too..So should I challenge or shouldnt I?

-thanks

02HatchSI
01-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by BlkEpHatch02
this is a poll whether or not i should challenge this ticket i got for running a red light...i was already under the light when it turned red and the cop said i ran it..he had another officer with him too..So should I challenge or shouldnt I?

-thanks

you could try, but without any witnesses or anything else I seriously doubt u'll get the judge to agree... I say just pay it, instead of the court fee's and all that other bullshit thats my own opinion, but do what u need to do... GOOD LUCK!

rs_1101
01-16-2004, 04:46 PM
find out the officers ranks. usually vet officers wont show up to trial unless its big. if u challenge it you could get off if the cops dont show up.

Peking
01-16-2004, 04:47 PM
You will lose, should have slowed down when the light was yellow. That is what the judge will tell you, and your Lawyer will tell you have a chance. He will be laughing to the bank. Try to work a deal with the solicitor, mybe something can work for your favor. You might have to take defensive driving. Well worth it IMO. Also you posted this in the wrong section.

k20hatch
01-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Its the law....They want your money....Just bend over...and take it like a man..

BlkEpHatch02
01-17-2004, 03:14 AM
nah..i went to the light where i got the ticket and the cop guy said i went on his light which was a lie..it didnt come to green until a full minute..and when i passed under light it just turn red..because where u have to stop and where the cop was he couldnt see because its blocked by a building..my light was still yellow when i passed the cross walk(or stop-line)and right when i was under the light it turned red..so from his view it looked like i ran the light..but i'm definitely challenging this.. i'm-a take pic's of where the officer was and where i'm suppose to stop to show that i was already passed the line while the light was still yellow..and if all else fails my mom knows some peoples in the police force that could wipe that violation off my record...

p.s. thanks for the input

STP03BlueSI
01-17-2004, 09:02 AM
Here you go.

http://www.medisave.co.uk/acatalog/ky_jelly.jpg

That will help alittle:eek:

priest6479
01-17-2004, 09:24 AM
Goto the prosecutor and take a plea, KY would help.
Challenging it would be futile, you know the court will take the cops side. Cops are always right in court. Just take a plea, maybe the Prosecutor will let you off a lil or reduce it down to a lesser charge.

Loudpedal
01-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Contest all tickets. Tie up the courts. If you were raised in a household that spoke a language other than English ask for an interpreter in that language. Traffic fines are such crap.

RMC22
01-17-2004, 06:27 PM
LOL.
Well, time to put the "tough guy" image aside, pal.

Yellow = YIELD.
NOT hurry up it's turning red.
Cops win.

Although yellows are constantly driven through, consider yourself very unlucky. But you could've looked to see the cop sitting there. The end result won't be as bad as you think. I wouldn't even get a lawyer if it is your first offense. But get ready for defensive driving school.

BlkEpHatch02
01-17-2004, 06:51 PM
thanks y'all..but i'd rather take a chance infront of the magistrate because thats who i'm going to be pleading my case infront of not a judge and if the cop shows or not still i know i he was wrong he just need an excuse to flash his lights and go before the other traffic..and also there's a building in between both me and the cop so neither of us could see eachother..so if i even seen the cop he would've seen the line that i had to stop at and know i already passed by two car lengths to begin with..so thank anyways people
just wanted to see some opinions...

Peking
01-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by BlkEpHatch02
thanks y'all..but i'd rather take a chance infront of the magistrate because thats who i'm going to be pleading my case infront of not a judge and if the cop shows or not still i know i he was wrong he just need an excuse to flash his lights and go before the other traffic..and also there's a building in between both me and the cop so neither of us could see eachother..so if i even seen the cop he would've seen the line that i had to stop at and know i already passed by two car lengths to begin with..so thank anyways people
just wanted to see some opinions...

Sorry, doesn't sound very sound to me. Good luck.

skooba
01-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Loudpedal
Contest all tickets. Tie up the courts. If you were raised in a household that spoke a language other than English ask for an interpreter in that language. Traffic fines are such crap.

ahahahahahaha i love it.

But seriously, you won't win. The cops will lie to the judge just to give them that extra edge, its your word against the cops, and in this case, 2 cops. You simply will not win.

SpoonEP3
01-17-2004, 09:51 PM
u should, because if the cop does not show up, u would win the case in court.......

SpoonEP3
01-17-2004, 09:55 PM
80% of the time, the cop will not show, but if they do, you should change the date to a date when the cop is not working, then i am really sure that he will not show....

Peking
01-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by SpoonEP3
80% of the time, the cop will not show, but if they do, you should change the date to a date when the cop is not working, then i am really sure that he will not show....

Really, did you do this research yourself. Or are you going off of hear say. I have heard the same thing years ago, and I still hear this now. Since beginning my studies in Criminal Justice, and attending many court sessions. The Police have certain dates that they have just to show up to court. We need to help him, not give him info with no backing.

skooba
01-17-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Peking
Really, did you do this research yourself. Or are you going off of hear say. I have heard the same thing years ago, and I still hear this now. Since beginning my studies in Criminal Justice, and attending many court sessions. The Police have certain dates that they have just to show up to court. We need to help him, not give him info with no backing.

I think its more like 90% of the time, the cops DO show up. They schedule all of their trials on the same day, and knock it out in one day. If you get it continued, the court gives you a date, they don't sit down with you and ask which day will be most convenient for you, they simply assign you a new date.

When I was in court, I saw nearly every other traffic violation go before the judge. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE RED LIGHT TICKETS LOST THEIR CASE. You can beat some, but it is very rare. You can take the chance of the cop not showing up, but don't rely on it, if it happens, you got lucky.

Peking
01-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by vbp si 03
I think its more like 90% of the time, the cops DO show up. They schedule all of their trials on the same day, and knock it out in one day. If you get it continued, the court gives you a date, they don't sit down with you and ask which day will be most convenient for you, they simply assign you a new date.

When I was in court, I saw nearly every other traffic violation go before the judge. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE RED LIGHT TICKETS LOST THEIR CASE. You can beat some, but it is very rare. You can take the chance of the cop not showing up, but don't rely on it, if it happens, you got lucky.

Yep, pretty much that.

civicracer1128
01-18-2004, 12:30 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TOOOOOOOOOOOO COURT. i just went and the cop didnt show. now before we got started the judge did address red lights but he said that when you ran it your picture was taken. if there was no camera at the intersection than you have a chance. he might now show and if he doesnt you get to go free. even if he does youll be better off. points are VERY bad. you dont want 1 or 2 even. he might let you off with just the fine or maybe driving school in exchange for no points. the thing to remember is that if you keep your cool and be polite that you cant get in deeper. also what i leared when i went is that there is not just guilty/innocent as a plea. you can say guilty with explanation. make soemthing up. anything. just so he knows your sorry and didnt mean any harm. that helps. just dont loose it and try to prove it never happened. you WILL loose.

2k2SiAutoXer
01-18-2004, 12:51 AM
Ive heard the same thing about trying to reschedule the date but they give you a date and be sure that the officer is going to be there. When I got my ticket I tried to re-schedule but the officer was there on my re-scheduled day. I got lucky though, I dressed in my Army dress uniform and tried to present my self in a very professional manner and they let me go with a 100 fine plus court costs with no points to my license (the ticket was for doing about 30 over the speed limit, I should have gotten nailed). When I was in line to pay my fine, this woman and her friend who had a similar offense and got hit hard with points and fines. They were dressed sloppy and talking during the whole court session. i told them that they should take more time to present themselves in a better manner. Ther said it was bullshit that because i was better dressed I got off eaiser. Well, obvoiusly I cared a little more and had more pride in myself and that reflected on my judgement. Maybe they think that someone who puts a little more effort in a court case will be better apt to not make the same mistake again.

My advice, present yourself in the most professional manner that you can and fess up to the mistake. Be honest, but dont be cocky.

-Good Luck

--Tom