PDA

View Full Version : 30,000 mile maintenance

darkvibe
01-18-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm about to pull my car in the garage for my 30k mile oil change. Is there any other maintenance I should do? I've never done anything except regular oil changes and checking fluids. Should I adjust my e-brake or shifter cables? Tire rotation was also done a couple weeks ago, so i'm all set with that.

Peking
01-18-2004, 01:42 PM
What does the manual say?

darkvibe
01-18-2004, 01:44 PM
I dont have the manual. I left it at my parent's house by accident or I would have looked at it.

Peking
01-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by darkvibe
I dont have the manual. I left it at my parent's house by accident or I would have looked at it.

Alright, give me a few minutes. I will post it.

My dealer considers 30k to be a major service.
Labor operations
Change oil and filter
check tires
rotate and balance tires
inspect brakes
adjust brakes and parking brake
fill all fluids
lub locks and hinges
change wipers
check belts, hoses, etc
adj. engine valves
change spark plugs
change air filter
drain and fill tranny fluid
brake fluid flush
add MOC fuel system treatment
change cabin filter
check all lights
service and clean the battery

Patrs needed
Oil and filter, Drain plug seal, Winshield washer fluid, wiper inserts, brake fluid, spark plugs, air filter (if stock), tranny fluid, cabin air filter.

Also replace the distributor rotor button, fuel filter (I say go with AEM), P.C.V. vavle, engine thermostat, and engine coolant.

darkvibe
01-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Oh man. Some of that is a little more than I care to do. Most of it I'm fine with but I dont know how to do a valve adjustment. Spark plugs at 30k miles? That seems pretty early.

Guess I'll call the honda place and see what the total price will be. I'll do what I can myself and just have them do a few things. I doubt they have mobil 1 oil and K&N oil filters there.

darkvibe
01-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Anyone know what the dealer charges for the full 30k service? I just called and they are closed. I was gonna go buy a new computer monitor tonight but maybe I'll be holding off on that till I get the car done.

Peking
01-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Oh man. Some of that is a little more than I care to do. Most of it I'm fine with but I dont know how to do a valve adjustment. Spark plugs at 30k miles? That seems pretty early.

Sorry it also goes for 90k.

Siman
01-18-2004, 02:41 PM
I got my transmission replaced!:D

Mugen Power
01-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Hey, I'm currently in nasty Roc, too! :(

Anyway, if you want to attempt it, I think Temple of VTEC had a how-to article on adjusting your valves on a K-series (and any other motor, for that matter). It was a little while ago but you can probably search for it on their site.

Temple of VTEC (http://www.vtec.net)

darkvibe
01-18-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Mugen Power
Hey, I'm currently in nasty Roc, too! :(

Anyway, if you want to attempt it, I think Temple of VTEC had a how-to article on adjusting your valves on a K-series (and any other motor, for that matter). It was a little while ago but you can probably search for it on their site.

Temple of VTEC (http://www.vtec.net)

What's your ride look like? I've seen a couple eps around town. The only modified one i've seen was on the RIT campus a couple weeks ago. I think it was black. I know it had an exhaust, no idea what else.

Mugen Power
01-18-2004, 05:38 PM
I've seen the black one around last year, not this year. I've got a white one with Jersey tags. My friend has a silver one with black headlights on RIT, too. I've seen a few others around here but I don't know who they are.

darkvibe
01-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Theres not too many around. I saw a silver one downtown last week. That black one I mentioned. Another one that was either white or silver with silver/black fade tint last fall near RIT. That's all i've seen. I know there's a couple people on here that live in rochester. You go to school at rit?

Mugen Power
01-18-2004, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I'm at RIT and so far, the only white one I've seen around is mine. :)

Some time last year, there was a blue one parked in front of the RIT SAU at night, maybe it was you? Do you go to RIT?

darkvibe
01-18-2004, 05:49 PM
I went there. I graduated in 2002 with a BS in mechanical engineering technology. I'm around campus alot but never at the SAU. I'm always in perkins or colony or sometimes u commons. You should check out www.roclife.org. It's a site with message boards for rochester.

sonic imperial
01-19-2004, 07:29 AM
It will cost around $254 for the 30K service at my dealership, that includes the oil change free. So yeah, it's expensive IMO.

Zero Three Si
01-19-2004, 08:21 AM
Anyone know what the dealer charges for the full 30k service? I just called and they are closed. I was gonna go buy a new computer monitor tonight but maybe I'll be holding off on that till I get the car done.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 bucks. I would think that they would imagen that they would have your car over night.

Not to mention on stuff like the fuel filter and such, they might skip out on it if it still looks ok rather than just replacing it.

darkvibe
01-19-2004, 02:20 PM
I just drove out to my parents house and got my manual to make a list of what I wanted the dealer to service so I could get a price. I don't know where that info listed before came from, but my manual doesnt say to do that stuff at 30k miles.

I don't have it in front of me but I remember a valve adjustment, tranny drain and fill and spark plug change was required much later than 30k miles. 30k was just oil and filter, air filter, cabin filter, fluids, rotate tires, check brakes, lube locks, check suspension and hoses/belts. A few other things but nothing major.

Where did you find the list that you posted?

Mugen Power
01-19-2004, 02:30 PM
I think every dealer has their own schedules. The one where I bought the car has their own and the intervals are every 7500 miles. I only follow the one in the book. Just bring your manual in and show it to them and tell them that's all you want to have done. If they're shady, they'll do the other stuff they want to do and then make you pay for it, but hopefully they won't.

BTW, I'm going to Holtz next Monday to have my oil changed. Before you guys jump on me, I've already changed my own oil a few times already but I'm not doing it this time because: 1. It's usually about 0 degress outside this time of year. 2. I don't have my tools, ramps, or jacks with me. 3. That stupid oil filter is a pain to get off. I'm just gonna pay for them to do it, seems worth it to me in my situation. I don't know if you've been to Holtz before but the one time I was there, they seemed to be nice people.

Bicho6
01-19-2004, 03:05 PM
my dealer told me the only major tune-up is at 110k miles ...

darkvibe
01-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Hey Mugen Power

I have the tools you need. I can lay on the ground and reach the drain plug without jacking the car up. I have a filter wrench that fits the oem filter (and my K&N filter) and goes on a 3/8 ratchet,and a pair of mechanics gloves. If you want to save cash you are more than welcome to change your oil in my apartment parking lot and borrow my tools. Should only take about 15 minutes at the most. I live about 15-20 minutes from you.

And for the record Holtz can lick me. Before I bought my EP I was looking at 2 used RSX-S' at holtz acura. They were both about $20,000. I asked to test drive one and he said "I can take you for a ride in it." Screw that. The car had 20k miles on it and he wouldnt let me test drive.

Stoop
01-23-2004, 08:22 AM
Yeah no valve adjustment is need until 110K. 30K service consists of:
Oil Change
Tranny Fluid Change
Replace Air Filter
Replace A/C Filters
Change Brake fluid
Inspection of brakes/exhaust/wipers etc.

Nothing else major is needed.:cool:

bigace
01-23-2004, 09:19 PM
My service manual says nothing of most of those items for the 30k service for the EP3, specifically spark plugs, which it says arent requiried to be swapped until 100k+ miles -- not arguing and preventive maintenance is the best, but where are you reading that?

bigace

Originally posted by Peking
Alright, give me a few minutes. I will post it.

My dealer considers 30k to be a major service.
Labor operations
Change oil and filter
check tires
rotate and balance tires
inspect brakes
adjust brakes and parking brake
fill all fluids
lub locks and hinges
change wipers
check belts, hoses, etc
adj. engine valves
change spark plugs
change air filter
drain and fill tranny fluid
brake fluid flush
add MOC fuel system treatment
change cabin filter
check all lights
service and clean the battery

Patrs needed
Oil and filter, Drain plug seal, Winshield washer fluid, wiper inserts, brake fluid, spark plugs, air filter (if stock), tranny fluid, cabin air filter.

Also replace the distributor rotor button, fuel filter (I say go with AEM), P.C.V. vavle, engine thermostat, and engine coolant.

Peking
01-24-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by bigace
My service manual says nothing of most of those items for the 30k service for the EP3, specifically spark plugs, which it says arent requiried to be swapped until 100k+ miles -- not arguing and preventive maintenance is the best, but where are you reading that?

bigace

Did you see this...
Sorry it also goes for 90k.

I am reading that from what my dealer gave me, it is true that they are somewhat different. Trust me on that, some dealers just don't give a damn. That is why I love my dealer, they let me do my thing. They think it is cool, and I get props. I watch to see how they handle of people and their cars. Two thumbs up, to bad I can't say that about some other places :( Like my friends Acura dealer.

tony speed
01-30-2004, 12:27 PM

do AEM fuel filters even fit our cars?

Peking
01-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by tony speed
do AEM fuel filters even fit our cars?

I could remember seeing that on there site.

High Performance Fuel Filter

AEM's High Performance Fuel Filter for Honda/Acura is capable of supporting power applications up to 500 horsepower. Double O-ring seals deliver added leak protection, and the unit's 6061-aluminum body provides excellent durability. The standard filter element is replaceable and available at most auto parts stores.

Key Features:

Fits in stock Honda/Acura location, or as a floating application on any vehicle

No additional parts required for installation (application specific)

Large hexes machined into top and bottom for easy disassembly

Manufactured and assembled in the USA

Or you can go universal. On there site it does not state any of the newer models. So I guess calling would be best. They make us a fuel rail, I would assume the filter will fit.