PDA

View Full Version : anyone having shock problems after lowering?

i-WERKS
09-24-2002, 10:31 AM
I've been reading about lowering your car and the affects it may have on your stock shocks. Anyone have problems with the shocks blowing on you?

HondaMan
09-24-2002, 11:02 AM
Nope

i-WERKS
09-24-2002, 12:35 PM
How long have you had your car lowered?
Coilover or springs?

2sloSi
09-24-2002, 01:16 PM
i had eibach pro kit springs on my 2k si for over a year without problems with the stock shocks! Most people don't have problems with only a 1.5- 2 in drop, i believe. A buddy of mine had weapon r coilovers (crap i know) with stock shocks for like 2 years with a 3in without problems, so ya never know!

i-WERKS
09-24-2002, 01:27 PM
cool. I was just worried about having to spend more cash on replacing the shocks.

02TafWhtSi
09-24-2002, 02:00 PM
I have had Eibach Pro-Kits on mine (about a 1" drop) for about 3 months w/out any problems. The only issue was that the rear springs sit a tad loose and infrequently make quiet rubbing-type sounds. No problems w/ the shocks though!

i-WERKS
09-25-2002, 05:47 AM
One more thing. I've just lowered my car with Skunk2 coilovers. Whenever I hit a big bump, I hear a loud clunk from the shock bottoming out. Is this normal? Do any of you guys have this problem? Will aftermarket shocks fix this?

X 2KS2K
09-25-2002, 05:59 AM
is the picture in the rides section before or after the springs?

02SilverSiHB
09-25-2002, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
One more thing. I've just lowered my car with Skunk2 coilovers. Whenever I hit a big bump, I hear a loud clunk from the shock bottoming out. Is this normal? Do any of you guys have this problem? Will aftermarket shocks fix this?
aftermarket shocks may help, but it means you're too low, or you're skunk2 coilovers are a low spring rate.....maybe they are for the 2001+ Civics and not the si, as the si weighs more

i-WERKS
09-25-2002, 06:21 AM
Well it says for 2001+ civic and RSX so I assumed that if it fit the RSX, it would fit the SI since they are so similar. It currently has about 1.5 inches from the tire to the wheel well. Is that still too low?

Thanks for the help BTW

02SilverSiHB
09-25-2002, 02:45 PM
Well it says for 2001+ civic and RSX so I assumed that if it fit the RSX, it would fit the SI since they are so similar. It currently has about 1.5 inches from the tire to the wheel well. Is that still too low?

Thanks for the help BTW
man, if it says it's for the civic and rsx, I wouldn't buy it. Most likely the springs are a real low spring rate so it can lower the civic also, as it doesn't weigh as much as the rsx. Try raising a little everyday and see how it works out

02TafWhtSi
09-25-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by X 2KS2K
is the picture in the rides section before or after the springs?
before the drop - I'm getting some updated pics posted ASAP!

DEXTERBASE
09-27-2002, 10:50 PM
Hey, a lot of times, people lower their cars too much for the factory struts.

A strut is designed to work within a certain stroke range and if the strut is routinely compressed further that it is designed to, it will "blow out" much faster than if it was operating in its optimal range. I've seen it over and over. The Eibach sportline kit is a good compromise between an attractive ride height and using stock struts.

Aftermarket struts usually, by design, compensate for the lowered cars by having a totally different stroke range.

Hope this helps.

BTW, skunk2, weaponR, any "coilover sleeve/spring" setup will blow stock struts if lowered to the maximum height, unless it is a full coilover/strut assembly.

2k2civicSi
09-27-2002, 10:55 PM
heres my car on pro kit
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2898

civic hatch boi
09-27-2002, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

man, if it says it's for the civic and rsx, I wouldn't buy it. Most likely the springs are a real low spring rate so it can lower the civic also, as it doesn't weigh as much as the rsx. Try raising a little everyday and see how it works out

what are you talking about??
our Si's weight more than the Rsx...
why do people think rsx's weigh more than us?

BlasTech
09-28-2002, 10:24 AM
02TafWhtSi, I want to go 1", too. How much was your kit/Intsall?

HK_EP3
09-28-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi

the type s weighs more than us... but no the regular rsx

2K2SilverSi
09-29-2002, 06:21 PM
he was talking about the 01 civic non si model. We all know how heavy our little car is. :p

i-WERKS
09-30-2002, 05:19 AM
Here's a pic of my car. I raised the ride height to the maximum. The problem is gone and I think it looks better that having the wheel tucked under the wheel well.

i-WERKS
09-30-2002, 05:21 AM
By the way. Look what I got

02SilverSiHB
09-30-2002, 09:15 AM
By the way. Look what I got
all right! Nice buy, glad to here the problem has gone away.

02TafWhtSi
09-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
02TafWhtSi, I want to go 1", too. How much was your kit/Intsall?

The springs were $215 from optauto.com and my uncle and I did the install so that equals a $40 gift cert. to Best Buy:) . I love them - maybe the best thing I have ever done to any of the cars I've ever owned! Seriously! No regrets at all - beautiful ride and no more sloppy body roll or ugly wheel well gap.

02SilverSiHB
09-30-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi

hopefully one day you will be able to read

I said.....I wouldn't buy it because it says it's for the civics (including non si's) and rsx. I had some springs that were made for the civic 2001+ not specifically made for the si, and I bottomed out.
Got it, Good

autojive
10-04-2002, 11:20 AM
What a cute widdle wabbit!! Just got it huh? Congratulations! ;) :D