PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust leak question

dtexan
01-18-2004, 04:31 PM
I installed a magnaflow cat-back exhaust last month and I went to check it yesterday and noticed a little air coming out of the conection where the midpipe connects to the resonator piping. Is this normal for a bolt on exhaust I wasnt sure if I should just take and get it welded together or what any ideas??? thanks dtexan

2.0L Monster
01-18-2004, 08:15 PM
I don't think that is normal, but i don't have the same exaust as you.

glw
01-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by dtexan
I installed a magnaflow cat-back exhaust last month and I went to check it yesterday and noticed a little air coming out of the conection where the midpipe connects to the resonator piping. Is this normal for a bolt on exhaust I wasnt sure if I should just take and get it welded together or what any ideas??? thanks dtexan
mine leaks a very small amount. i've considered getting mine welded... it's normal.

dtexan
01-19-2004, 06:03 AM
I want to get it welded but thin i'm thinking if I ever sell the car and want to sell the exhaust i'll have to get it un welded or however they do that is it easy to get it removed or does it have to be cut off

Vertigo
01-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Didn't the exhaust come with some gaskets? Any exhaust leak isn't normal. Plus, you get that horrible sound.

dtexan
01-19-2004, 07:43 AM
There is a gasket for where the reonator connects to the muffler but not one for where the midpipe connects to the resonator. Its not producing much of a sound you can just feel a little bit of air coming out of the clamp

Vertigo
01-19-2004, 08:12 AM
If it didn't come with a gasket, take som silcone(RTV) and put it on there and tighten the piss out of it. If you do that, you'll have to let the silcone setup a little bit befor you start the car.

jandetuning
01-19-2004, 09:22 AM
You need to push the muffler end into the resonator end more. Have a buddy push on the muffler's tips while you pull the piping towards the muffler. Then tighten the band clamp while he is still pushing on the muffler.

Me ep3
01-19-2004, 10:16 AM
I had the same problem with my EVO 2 just got a better exhaust flang gasket for it. Problem solved you can pick these up for a few $'s:D

dtexan
01-19-2004, 10:57 AM
maybe this will help me explain http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/pdfs/15757.pdf

the leak is coming from where the inlet assembly connects to the resonator assembly using the 2.25" clamp its not a flanged conection more of a sleeve fit

jandetuning
01-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Try the method in my post above. I forgot where that joint was, and I didn't have my instructions handy. Basically push it together with some help, and tighten the clamp while pressure is still being applied. If that still doesn't get it, take the resonator side to an exhaust shop and have it expanded slightly.

dtexan
01-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Cool deal I'll give that a try wednesday when I'm off work thanks for the ideas I really didnt want to get it welded so hopefully this will work thanks dtexan

civic si hb
01-19-2004, 05:59 PM
alot of people have this exhaust, is anyone else having this problem with exhaust leaking? it can't be good losing back pressure like that.

jandetuning
01-19-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by civic si hb
alot of people have this exhaust, is anyone else having this problem with exhaust leaking? it can't be good losing back pressure like that.

I had this problem when I first installed it. There really isn't enough leakage to cause power loss, but the noise it produces makes the car sound terrible.

styllinep3
01-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by jandetuning
Try the method in my post above. I forgot where that joint was, and I didn't have my instructions handy. Basically push it together with some help, and tighten the clamp while pressure is still being applied. If that still doesn't get it, take the resonator side to an exhaust shop and have it expanded slightly.

do this and take the clamp, slid it towards the cat side so that its near the end of the grooves. my magnaflow did the same thing untill i adjusted it. the leak is so minor that you cant hear it except when it first starts and the condensation leaks out. its like a bubbling sound, but its no were near enough to effect back pressure, or even be noticed by ear.