PDA

View Full Version : Pissed off at forum

DownTheHatch
01-18-2004, 11:31 PM
I've had it with these errors

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /var/www/domains/ephatch.com/forum/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40

Why am I getting these and how can I fix whatevers wrong with my database? I obviously don't get an answer from my host support, unless its server related they can't help.

The performance of the server is spectacular, I know this because when the forum is down I can still load standard html webpages like perfect.

Any IT gurus here?

mrfixit687
01-18-2004, 11:39 PM
we're pissed off too ^_^

chubbychu
01-18-2004, 11:40 PM
wasnt ssvr6 your technical problem guy? ask him?

DownTheHatch
01-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Come on Mr Fixit, can't you fix this one?

No, ssvr6 was assist admin.

chubbychu
01-18-2004, 11:44 PM
oh...

well, its working pretty good right now

thaseint
01-18-2004, 11:58 PM
I haven't done a whole lot of PHP/MySQL coding lately but have you checked the db_mysql.php file on the server? Maybe check to see what max_connections (or something along those lines) is set to...IIRC theres a setting in there that caps the amount of connections to the site. Sounds like at high traffic point the server is hitting it's limits and no new users are allowed to log on. There might also be some sort of time out in the PHP script causing the db to time out after a while (meaning ephatch down)...not sure where that line would be though :(

Just thought I might chime in, although I lurk a lot and don't post :p

Oh I also should've asked, are you hosting the server at home, or through a hosting service? If it's some hosting service then they would probably have to change the max_connections line...don't really know how you have it set up :)

pedzola
01-19-2004, 12:15 AM
It sounds like a database problem.

Check max connections. Might be in some kind of db init file or soemthing. Maybe ask your hosting people about this.

Also, could you post that db_mysql.php file somewhere, or just past the text of it if its small, so that we can take a look.

I know Java and VB pretty well... I've never done PHP but I'm sure I could take a look and at least understand whats going on.

My guess is that this is a database problem and not a problem in the PHP.

DavidT
01-19-2004, 12:20 AM
Would it be a PITA to find a new host and move everything over?

Vertigo
01-19-2004, 02:14 AM
I thought that you were looking for another server to move the site to?

K-Series
01-19-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by DownTheHatch
No, ssvr6 was assist admin.

Yup, or glorified moderator. The title is interchangable.

If you ask my opinion DTH, it's due to the attachment of images, possibly the number of open connections to MySQL, or just host issues and them passing the buck.

Steve

andy
01-19-2004, 08:58 AM
Over at nasioc, the site had some problems with searches and
vBulletin. For example, if you searched, then hit "Stop" or
backed out, your search would still run. It started causing
a bunch of problems. Maybe turn off the search one day (it'll
cause an uproar, I'm sure), just to see if that changes it
(and if those other suggestions don't work).

glw
01-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by DownTheHatch
I've had it with these errors

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /var/www/domains/ephatch.com/forum/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40

Why am I getting these and how can I fix whatevers wrong with my database? I obviously don't get an answer from my host support, unless its server related they can't help.

The performance of the server is spectacular, I know this because when the forum is down I can still load standard html webpages like perfect.

Any IT gurus here?

ask and ye shall receive...

mysql (http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Too_many_connections.html)

A.2.6 Too many connections Error
If you get the error Too many connections when you try to connect to MySQL, this means that there is already max_connections clients connected to the mysqld server.

If you need more connections than the default (100), then you should restart mysqld with a bigger value for the max_connections variable.

Note that mysqld actually allows (max_connections+1) clients to connect. The last connection is reserved for a user with the SUPER privilege. By not giving this privilege to normal users (they shouldn't need this), an administrator with this privilege can log in and use SHOW PROCESSLIST to find out what could be wrong. See section 13.5.3.6 SHOW PROCESSLIST.

The maximum number of connects MySQL is depending on how good the thread library is on a given platform. Linux or Solaris should be able to support 500-1000 simultaneous connections, depending on how much RAM you have and what your clients are doing.

common causes...
1) too many concurrent users
2) poor programming leaves connections open too long.
3) poorly performing database requires database to be open too long.

solutions...
1) increase the number of connection allowed to the database (100 is default, iirc)
2) correct programming (close connections differently) or optimize sql.
3) optimize database

i don't know how much control you have over these things with what it is you are using, but i'm willing to take a look at it for you. let me know...

edit:
i'm guessing your host is siteturn.com... ask them how many concurrent mysql database connections are allowed on your plan...

you can also make a setting change to your config.php file if it's not already in there:

// use persistant connections to the database
// 0 = don't use
// 1 = use
$usepconnect = 0;

edit2:
is there a way to find out how many concurrent users you have logged on at ephatch at any one time... not all of them will be searching at the same time because they have to read part of the time... but this is good info to have!

Jpax
01-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by glw
ask and ye shall receive...

mysql (http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Too_many_connections.html)

common causes...
1) too many concurrent users
2) poor programming leaves connections open too long.
3) poorly performing database requires database to be open too long.

solutions...
1) increase the number of connection allowed to the database (100 is default, iirc)
2) correct programming (close connections differently) or optimize sql.
3) optimize database

i don't know how much control you have over these things with what it is you are using, but i'm willing to take a look at it for you. let me know...

GLW IS BAWLER..... I would let him update my site anyday :D

Mugen Power
01-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by andy
Over at nasioc, the site had some problems with searches and
vBulletin. For example, if you searched, then hit "Stop" or
backed out, your search would still run. It started causing
a bunch of problems. Maybe turn off the search one day (it'll
cause an uproar, I'm sure), just to see if that changes it
(and if those other suggestions don't work).

Haha, then everyone will have a reason to post a question or topic that's been covered before and NOT get yelled at! Freebies for the newbies! :D

glw
01-20-2004, 07:18 PM
if anyone cares... and wants to help put other ephatchers...

click on the thread title (or thread page number) instead of the new icon (http://ephatch.com/forum/images/firstnew.gif). the new icon search is significantly slower and we'll all get the benefit of a better performing server by you choosing a faster search. you will just have to scroll to the newest posts. i now do this and have found that i spend less time here, waiting...

STP03BlueSI
01-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Do this to the server!!
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0151804/office1.jpg :D

Mugen Power
01-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Dang, you can red X the whole forum!? :D

Mugen Power
01-20-2004, 08:48 PM

Mugen Power
01-20-2004, 08:48 PM

Mugen Power
01-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Dang, you can red X the server!? :D

Mugen Power
01-20-2004, 09:10 PM
Whoa, you can red X the server!? :D

Mugen Power
01-20-2004, 09:12 PM

Mugen Power
01-20-2004, 09:12 PM

02SilverSiHB
01-20-2004, 11:40 PM
OH MY GOD! THIS FORUM IS GOING FREAKING NUTZ! COME ON! NOW I'M SEEING PEOPLE ECHO WHAT THEY SAY! Okay, enough caps...not only are people echoing what they say, but I have to do that damn, reply, get a freaking error, hit back, then reply again! :rolleyes:

Vertigo
01-21-2004, 01:10 AM
Tonight the server is on the blink again! I'm starting to get frustrated and bummed out.:(

STP03BlueSI
01-21-2004, 05:56 AM
Here is the pic that is working off and on:(

03SiGuy
01-21-2004, 12:00 PM
can someone please fix the search feature its broke again:'(

SiR_d1
01-21-2004, 05:44 PM
EPHATCH SUCKS ASS TODAY:mad:

SiR_d1
01-21-2004, 06:14 PM

02SilverSiHB
01-21-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by SiR_d1
LOL! you said TODAY

k20hatch
01-21-2004, 09:09 PM
The echo is going crazy...its funny...but crazy!!:cool:

02SilverSiHB
01-21-2004, 09:13 PM
hahahahaa

hahahahaa

hahahahaa

k20hatch
01-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
hahahahaa

hahahahaa

hahahahaa

LoL i just read that while looking at this....

Your Advatar (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/avatar.php?userid=193&dateline=1073521607)

Hah that was great...WOW im tired...

glw
01-21-2004, 11:04 PM
was anyone wondering what this thread was about?

i think dth was asking about improving performance here... a topic i think would help everyone feel better.

02SilverSiHB
01-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by glw
was anyone wondering what this thread was about?

i think dth was asking about improving performance here... a topic i think would help everyone feel better.
okay, I'll shut and stay on topic....get a new server dth...that's what I heard is a good idea...but then again, I have 0 knowledge on this type of deal

02SilverSiHB
01-23-2004, 09:40 PM
okay, someone with knowledge..tell me if I'm wrong, but here we go again...fuckin a! Damn this shyt! I reply and get that damn error, hit back then reply, then it gets posted.

So if I was me, I'd get a new server....or am I just plan wrong...