PDA

View Full Version : Kuhmos sucks in the snow.

si666
01-19-2004, 02:40 AM
I was driving today with maybe about 1/2 inch of snow on the ground. While I was getting ready to stop at the lights my EP just slides and I can't turn. I hit the curb like around 10mph and messed up the front passenger wheel. Now I have the annoying sqeeqy sound coming from that tire. I know the alignment is off but I don't feel the car shaking tho..thank god. I think my centering ring might be cracked causing the sqeeky sound. It sux..time for new wheels.sigh

Civicvtec1ps
01-19-2004, 02:51 AM
What kind kumhos are they?
Driving with summer tires during winter season sucks ass.
Stock tires arent TOO bad for winter. I still dont like it.

hernameis?
01-19-2004, 05:36 AM
ya they do suck for snow. if you read anything on the tire, it clearly states that those tires are not made for snow712 click here (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+Supra+712&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=045WR7ES712&fromCompare1=yes)

todaCspec
01-19-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by hernameis?
ya they do suck for snow. if you read anything on the tire, it clearly states that those tires are not made for snow712 click here (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+Supra+712&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=045WR7ES712&fromCompare1=yes)

However, they are awesome spring,summer, and fall tires! For the price and the performance you get, you really can't complain.

Dunrick
01-19-2004, 08:09 AM
yoko es 100's were not that bad on solid ice, i was suprised, but when the slush hit, they were all over. First gear took forever to get going....

si666
01-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
What kind kumhos are they?
Driving with summer tires during winter season sucks ass.
Stock tires arent TOO bad for winter. I still dont like it.

I have the 711s. I made a bad mistake selling the stock wheels. I kind of miss them now. lol..

Mad02Si
01-19-2004, 12:15 PM
I used to have the 712's and they were great in the rain and dry pavement but I never had them on during winter. I should ask the guy I sold them to how they are in the snow and ice..

BlackNRedSi
01-19-2004, 12:25 PM
i have kuhmos and yes they SUCK money ballz in snow....ALOT! :(
i should have put my stockies back on for winter, but i was too lazy

Mad02Si
01-19-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
i have kuhmos and yes they SUCK money ballz in snow....ALOT! :(
i should have put my stockies back on for winter, but i was too lazy No matter how lazy I get I will never ride the summer wheels in the winter.. Just think about the money envolved man..

BlackNRedSi
01-19-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Mad02Si
No matter how lazy I get I will never ride the summer wheels in the winter.. Just think about the money envolved man..

to be honest with you, i didnt know they were SUMMER ONLY, i thought they were all season...thats me not doing my homework...its ok tho, ill get thu it....and next year not make the same mistake

thoughthard
01-19-2004, 05:21 PM
These do fairly well in the winter. Kumho Ecsta HP4 716 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+HP4+716)
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_ecsta_hp4_716_ci2_l.jpg

MN23
01-19-2004, 05:28 PM
God wtf do you expect? Kumhos are meant to displace water with the heavy tread size they give very good grip on dry tarmac. Maybe you should get some snow tires or all seasons... lmao. :rolleyes: honda guys..

rswbrixton
01-19-2004, 05:45 PM
KUHMO Izen Stud KW11 are great snow/ice tires .

C1V1C
01-20-2004, 01:36 AM
There is no GOOD SNOW TIRES ... look at the tread pattern and the depth. 1/2 in snow ? it means you need 1/2 in more of tread depth to have your tire to touch the asphalt. Snow cannot be compressed and flow like water.

Summer tires usually have a wide pattern, so the contact pacth is bigger. Snow tires have smaller pattern.

I am using Yoko Parada for Winter too. But I live in Chicago, they use salt like crazy, and I drive mostly on highway or main streets so snow is not a problem. except on parking lot or neighbourhood.

Just drive slow, that should save some ASSes :)

Peace

AkronSi
01-20-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by rswbrixton
KUHMO Izen Stud KW11 are great snow/ice tires .

I second that!

bsdbytes
01-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by thoughthard
These do fairly well in the winter. Kumho Ecsta HP4 716 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+HP4+716)
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_ecsta_hp4_716_ci2_l.jpg

How do you likes those compared to the stock set on dry/wet pavement?

blueiedgod
01-21-2004, 08:19 AM
Mischelin Alpins are good snow tires, I keep hearing about Blizzaks as good snow tire as well. It is generally better to downsize the width on the snow tire. Although, most "rice" community thinks that bigger patch is better. For snow, a small foot print is the best, as it will put more pressure per square inch and allows the tire to dig deeper. So, if you stock tire is 195/60-15, go with 185/65-14 or even 175 width. Snow tires are made of different compund, they contain silica, which is not good for dry driving. If you live in an area where it constantly snows, then it would make sence to buy a $400 package from tire rack. Other than that, stock Mischellins are very good for winter driving, they are the best compromize I have seen in all season tire. I used to have Yokohama Avid T4's on my CR-V, and they were excellent in spring, summer and fall, but as soon as it snowed, they sucked major ass. The "V" pattern would fill up with snow, and even though it had AWD, it was difficult to drive. Also, summer tires are made of softer rubber compund that stiffens greately when exposed to cold temperatures, and reduces its friction coefficient.

motomoron
01-21-2004, 11:54 AM
I throw the the stock wheels and tires back on when it snows, and then leave the thing in the driveway. I have a set of steel wheels with Bridgestone Blizzaks (W50s) I put on my wife's '97 Civic EX. They are amazing. I race 4wds at stop lights. They hook up on hard packed snow better than Kumho 712's on wet pavement. If you get 'em, go narrower, watch your inflation, and as soon as it's not snowy out...

TAKE THEM THE FUCK OFF!!

'cause you'll wear them to a nub in nothing flat. I swap them on and off, and they've lasted 4 winters so far...