PDA

View Full Version : question for those with mid-pipe (new questions)

ep03TN
01-19-2004, 11:38 AM
ok, i have decided for the time being to put off buying a cat-back exhaust and get a custom midpipe done. I have a few questions. With my midpipe, i want a little noise, so im going to get it with no resinator. What I want to do is get the pipe done with both flanges so it bolts right on, because i dont want my stock pipe destroyed, has anyone done this? Its a holiday today and i was gonna go by and ask but they are closed. Second question. In my experiance when you gut a resinator you get a "drone" at a given rpm, has anyone experianced this with the mid-pipe? And lastly, how loud exactly is this without header/intake. I listened to a few clips but i could tell it had at least an intake on it, and makes the clip inaccurate by default. Ive read every single post on this forum about mid-pipes and havent found the questions answered. And im leaning to the 2.25" crimp bend like most people. If you guys would help me out if appriciate it! Thanks

wtfOO
01-19-2004, 11:48 AM
i got a mipipe and it makes a nice deep sound. i didnt want to get a full catback either and i heard that the midpipe gives u decent preformance. they used the stock flanges for mine. however, the guy said if i wanted to put stock back on, u could take it to any shop and they'll put stock back on for 20 bucks. also, its pretty loud, without resonator but not loud like a fullcatback. i dont have a header and i just recently (2 days ago) put on an intake but i had it with just midpipe for a good 4 months.

ep03TN
01-19-2004, 11:54 AM
wtf00, what is your setup? the 2.25 crimp with no resinator? Is it louder at high or low rpm? Thanks buddy!

Peking
01-19-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ep03TN
wtf00, what is your setup? the 2.25 crimp with no resinator? Is it louder at high or low rpm? Thanks buddy!

Both, I had 2.25" back in the day :)

wtfOO
01-19-2004, 01:45 PM
i had the 2.25 crush bent/no res. its low at low rpm (deep hum) and it roars deep at high. a nice roar.

ep03TN
01-19-2004, 04:07 PM
well thanks guys! im about soldon this. Anyone else with 2 cents bring it :)

BlasTech
01-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Im going to put mine on soon enough, after a little deburring. I'll let everyone know about the sound (Im hypersensitive to noise) :D

Peking
01-19-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Peking
Both, I had 2.25" back in the day :)

It was a ghetto cat-back. Mid-pipe welded directly on to a Skunk2 muffler. Sounded great, always got compliments. Even from the Honda techs. Mybe you should try it, I also got great gas mileage.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p3639df4b407c9564d82fb41de97e1e16/fb7190f8.jpg

fkagti
01-19-2004, 04:25 PM
i agree. nice low rumble at low rpms. nice deep roar at high rpms. Sounds 10x better now that i installed my intake. i see no need for an aftermarket exhaust.

ep03TN
01-19-2004, 04:56 PM
peking thats a nice setup, with getting the midpipe it still leaves options to add on at any time and not be wasteful, at least thats my thinking

Peking
01-19-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by ep03TN
peking thats a nice setup, with getting the midpipe it still leaves options to add on at any time and not be wasteful, at least thats my thinking

Good plan :)

KickerSi
01-19-2004, 07:42 PM
I decided to go with a 2 inch crushed midpipe because I want the power off the line and we dont have a huge redline for a 2.25 to take a large effect. I can barley tell a difference in sound but I can tell a diff. in power. More torquey (sp). I kept the flange also so I can remove the muffler for the track. I was able to put down a 15.7 with 18's and the midpipe (no muffler).

eurosteez
01-19-2004, 08:05 PM
MP sounds pretty fartcanny when you first start the car. Once its warmed up sounds wayyy better. On downshifts the backfires sound sweet too. Use 91 gas fo sho. I dont have headers tho

BlasTech
01-19-2004, 10:39 PM
OK, Im back from installing (2.25 crushbent), and just like he said, a little farty at first, then just fine once its warm.

It's knocking a little on my CTR bar (Im lowered 2") so I'll probably strap it up tighter.

Otherwise Im happy with the pull after 4K! Wheee!

Peking
01-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
OK, Im back from installing (2.25 crushbent), and just like he said, a little farty at first, then just fine once its warm.

It's knocking a little on my CTR bar (Im lowered 2") so I'll probably strap it up tighter.

Otherwise Im happy with the pull after 4K! Wheee!

Your using the stock muffler still right? Aftermarket muffler will solve that.

BlasTech
01-20-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Peking
Your using the stock muffler still right? Aftermarket muffler will solve that.

It barely knocks when I make a hard left. I'm planning to keep the stock muffler, but Im pretty sure I can get it stabilized.

My midpipe has only one hanger hook, and I can fab another for the other hole in the rubber hanger thingy, which should do the trick.

pauls101
01-20-2004, 03:35 PM
All I did was remove the resonator and replaced it with pipe of the same diameter. Sounds great.

ep03TN
01-20-2004, 05:35 PM
well, i broke down and got my midpipe today. I absolutely love it. Not much interior noise but outside its pretty noticable. I got the 2.25 piping no res with brand new flanges and all, so its completely bolt on. I already had a guy with a weird look on his face trying to figure out how my stock exhaust sounded so "not stock". As for performance gains, it feels like it woke the car up. And the best part of it, the guy i got it done from has done some other exhaust work for me before, and he hooked me up, he spent an hour and a half on it to make it PERFECT and charged me 60.23 out the door. awesome!

Zero Three Si
01-21-2004, 10:13 AM
I have a 2.0 inch midpipe. She grumbles at low speeds and my dad says he always knows when I'm driving to his house.

A guy at my work who's got a Protoge5, says to me today "wow, when did you get an exhaust on that thing"?

I'm like I didn't. He's like wow...I paid 500 bucks for my full cat back greddy when I had a civic.

I still have my OEM midpipe with the res still connected, just incase I decied to go back to stock, which I really doubt that I will.

Bificus
01-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Have you guys lost any of the throttle response up to 4K rpm? No resonator guys on this thread huh? How about just replacing the restrictive resonator?

BlasTech
01-22-2004, 08:24 AM
I feel a small loss in torque in the low rpms, but a definite gain in the top end...this mod will definitely be beneficial with Hondata.

ep03TN
01-22-2004, 08:46 AM
I havent felt any loss at all, motor seems stronger as a whole. (butt dyno)

Zero Three Si
01-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Bificus
Have you guys lost any of the throttle response up to 4K rpm? No resonator guys on this thread huh? How about just replacing the restrictive resonator?

You feel a VERY VERY small amout of torque loss. You have to be anal retentive to notice though. Definite gains up top and you have a great sounding exhaust. You spend 50-100 bucks for a good midpipe and you don't have to drop 400 bucks on a full greddy exhaust.

03EP3Si
01-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Does any one have that Megan Racing downpipe/High flow cat, with this midpipe setup? i have the Megan Racing pipe and wanted to get the 2.25 midpipe,, just wanted to see if anyone has them both, and if they like it or not. sound? power? the usual.

G-J
01-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the muffler we have the same as the muffler found on the CTR? I could have swore I read that somewhere. If that were the case... the muffler will be good up to atleast 200hp at the crank. I got HP headers and a 2" mid. Love it!

SiRman
01-22-2004, 05:15 PM
I beleive myeverlovinsir has the megan cat and a 2.25" b-pipe.

Bificus
01-22-2004, 07:51 PM
Has anyone have the midpipe coupled with a stock airbox? I am not in the market yet but is it a better to do any exhaust modification after you get an intake or at least a drop in filter?

BlasTech
01-22-2004, 09:04 PM
My intake is stock except for Hondata mod and a DIY air scoop over the radiator.

still a good pickup in the top!

Bificus
01-22-2004, 09:22 PM
BlasTech what filter are you using? I am thinking Spoon or Comptech depending on if I want to spend 50 or 150 on a drop in.

BlasTech
01-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Im using my original filter, and I clean it out every month. I will probably go with a K&N when the time comes to replace it, unless I do something radical like this:

http://www.dmcknight.net/forumpics/rtr-intake.jpg

Filters can be like spark plugs....

Alot of the reported gains are just because the user was ditching the old, used ones.

icegrill
01-22-2004, 09:46 PM
Anyone know of a shop that can mandrel bend a b pipe without actually seeing the stock pipe?

SF-SI-02
01-26-2004, 03:04 PM
Hey, I just got back from my muffler guy. He built a 9 second impala, so I should listen to him (that's what he told me). He also said NOT to replace the midpipe, he said 1) That cat is the bottle neck, 2) without any backpressure (so I guess the cat is not the bottleneck), the engine will get really bad milage, and lose all low end torque.

I know this has been debated alot on here, bugt I listened to him. Instead, we took off the resonator and replaced it with straight pipe 2.25 tapered from 2". My impression, the mph climbs a bit faster in the 4k+ rpm range, but the car is always humming when not accelerating, I guess this is what you get when you get rid if the resonator. It hurt seeing the resonator cut out and the pipe welded to my otherwise stock exhaust. It was $50, so not that bad, but I have a nasty feeling I will regret the elevated noise levels at low rpm (the humming) after a little while.

Just my 2cents

ep03TN
01-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Well, ill give my 2 cents I guess. First, our cars have a highflow cat already, so thats not a bottleneck. Second, if what he told you was true about the stock midpipe, then that would mean all aftermarket exhausts that are sold will only hinder performance of our engines, which they are dyno proven to improve. Im my opinion, the only way you will have backpressure problems is if you run the thing out of the header. Just like its always said, sucking and blowing through a small straw is more work than doin the same through a big straw, same with an engine, the easier it breaths the better performance/milage you'll get. Im not gonna argue with anyone, but this is my opinion. oh, and i felt no lower end loss with my midpipe, but then again i dont have my intake yet, so that might be why.

SF-SI-02
01-26-2004, 11:22 PM
I don't think I felt any either, but then again, I have a stock midpipe, just no more resonator. After driving a lot more this afternoon, it is definetly funner, only a little bit too loud, but by next week, I'll probably think it was great. I have been hearing some creaking though, maybe they messed up and its rubbing something down there, I am installing a sway this week, I'll check when I am down there.

BlasTech
01-27-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by SF-SI-02
Hey, I just got back from my muffler guy. He built a 9 second impala, so I should listen to him (that's what he told me). He also said NOT to replace the midpipe, he said 1) That cat is the bottle neck, 2) without any backpressure (so I guess the cat is not the bottleneck), the engine will get really bad milage, and lose all low end torque.

I know this has been debated alot on here, bugt I listened to him. Instead, we took off the resonator and replaced it with straight pipe 2.25 tapered from 2". My impression, the mph climbs a bit faster in the 4k+ rpm range, but the car is always humming when not accelerating, I guess this is what you get when you get rid if the resonator. It hurt seeing the resonator cut out and the pipe welded to my otherwise stock exhaust. It was $50, so not that bad, but I have a nasty feeling I will regret the elevated noise levels at low rpm (the humming) after a little while.

Just my 2cents

Interesting logic, though I dont know if he built a 9-second inline 4!

Search way back for a fellow named JSIR, there's dyno proof about these midpipes working well on our car, or I wouldn't have gotten one...even if it was free.
(Thanks, Mike)

Slip_Angle
03-08-2004, 09:51 PM
Just got my 2.0" midpipe installed (Crush bend - I have No header, just an SRI). It's louder and grumbly sounding. At first I felt as though it may be too loud but I also felt that way about my intake and love it now.. Did anyone else feel this way and get use to it? I don't get the fart can sound when cold...but I've only heard it once since it's been put on so I may not have noticed.

Not sure about any gains/losses yet as I haven't had a chance to wind it out.

VividDreams
03-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
I dont know if he built a 9-second inline 4!

umm, implalas are V8's;)

BlairSpeed
03-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Why does everyone have crush bent mid pipes? Isnt the mandrel bend the best as it keeps its diameter through the bend? Isnt the mid pipe just a straight peice of metal or does it actually bend around things?

ep03TN
03-16-2004, 05:12 PM
It would either be a 2.0" mandrel bent pipe or a crush 2.25" i dont think there is a difference really. The reason is madrel bent pipes are very expensive and there really isnt a point if you ask me. And no the mid pipe is not a straight piece of metal at all, it bends against the bottom of the car to hook between the cat and the muffler pipe flange.

VividDreams
03-17-2004, 01:36 AM
mandrel bent pipes are best used on cars with a lot of exhaust velocity and/or quantity.

i.e. a turbo ep, or a V8 car.

more power=more flow=needs a smoother pipe=mandrel bending.

also, since we loose low end torque with bigger pipe, we would loose more yet if it was mandrel bent because that creates less back pressure