PDA

View Full Version : will camber/alignment/suspension problems slow the car down?

chubbychu
01-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Hi guys, ive been driving and wow, the ep feels super sluggish. like...wow, a couple things ive noticed are...i have to get into the high rpms to feel any sort of anything. and it seems like im always flooring it to go anywhere. Ive been having a lot of suspension problems with creaking and knocking and such, and my camber and alignment is also off.

therers also this werid burnt smell. its not the exhaust. so anyone care to shed some light into my problems? thanks.

chubbychu
01-19-2004, 04:37 PM
also, shifting and stuff is very sporadic. like..itll jump around and errr...yea maybe im just a bad driver. but it is honestly different than a week ago.

esmith13
01-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Have you EVER changed/checked ANY of the fluids???

... Just askin ;)

Eric.

BTW - Alignment/camber issues will hinder performance, but usually not enough for the butt dyno to notice unless your ON the track with those problems...

jandetuning
01-19-2004, 04:46 PM
All of the symptoms you describe lead me to think your clutch is slipping.

trk
01-19-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
Hi guys, ive been driving and wow, the ep feels super sluggish. like...wow, a couple things ive noticed are...i have to get into the high rpms to feel any sort of anything. and it seems like im always flooring it to go anywhere. Ive been having a lot of suspension problems with creaking and knocking and such, and my camber and alignment is also off.

therers also this werid burnt smell. its not the exhaust. so anyone care to shed some light into my problems? thanks.

sluggishness and rpm range - yes, these are legitimate problems with our car... get hondata.

creaking and knocking - yes, these are also legitimate common problems with our car when lowered... get mugen suspension.

burnt smell - also a common issue with the catalytic converter burning off excess exhaust gasses, though its not really a problem, more a feature.

gears/notchyness - and once again, a problem some people are experiencing... repair it under warranty.

chubbychu
01-19-2004, 05:13 PM
nope..ive NEVER checked any fluids. seriously. is it something i should be worried about? but i let the dealer change my oil so it leads me to believe THEY check it.

slipping clutch....ill let my tuner friend check it out. but thanks for the suggestion.

"also a common issue with the catalytic converter burning off excess exhaust gasses"

could it be my fluids? or clutch? cuz after i drove i turnd off my car and went to the back and took a sniff...and it wasnt there. i smelled it the second i stepped out of the car.

esmith13
01-19-2004, 05:18 PM
nope..ive NEVER checked any fluids. seriously. is it something i should be worried about? but i let the dealer change my oil so it leads me to believe THEY check it...

Funny you should mention that... I had a car 5 yrs ago that I took to the dealer for my oil changes... They put in only 2 quarts or so (needed 5) and lets just say the car ran similar to how you described till i took it back to them... Although they claimed the car was ok - it just needed more oil - that sucker was gone ASAP after that...

Moral of my story - always check you fluids - even if you pay the dealer to do it...

Eric

chubbychu
01-19-2004, 06:03 PM
so which fluids do you recommend i should check? in not a maintenence kinda guy

jandetuning
01-19-2004, 06:24 PM
im not a maintenence kinda guy

That might be why you are having trouble with your car. I say get out the owners manual and read it from cover to cover.

esmith13
01-19-2004, 07:15 PM
so which fluids do you recommend i should check? in not a maintenence kinda guy

The Oil.

like jandetuning said - read the manual...

Eric

dofu
01-19-2004, 07:23 PM
eh... have you dropped your car at all? wheels all nicely tucked? if so, you could jus be rubbin tires on your wheelwell. that would explain everything but the shifting part. when i put my 18's on and tuck my tires in really tightly (to look good when im jus cruisin) my front tires end up rubbing, lightly throwing my wheel off every now and then, and making it that much more effort to accelerate. and when i do get a heavy foot, i start smellin plastic or rubber (but that might be my clutch too coz it is startin to slip)

chubbychu
01-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by dofu
eh... have you dropped your car at all? wheels all nicely tucked? if so, you could jus be rubbin tires on your wheelwell. that would explain everything but the shifting part. when i put my 18's on and tuck my tires in really tightly (to look good when im jus cruisin) my front tires end up rubbing, lightly throwing my wheel off every now and then, and making it that much more effort to accelerate. and when i do get a heavy foot, i start smellin plastic or rubber (but that might be my clutch too coz it is startin to slip)

ahh i see i see, my drop IS unususally low for h&r's

chubbychu
01-21-2004, 06:20 PM
hey i now KNOW for sure that my car is a little messed up. i lost to a big truck and i was wot. :eek: :( :( :(

anyways, i was wondering if you could tell me all the possible causes for a loss in torque and hp.

ive checked my oil, so i think the only possible solution is that i have a dirty intake filter. but ive only had that intake for 3 months.

unless becuse its been raining so much that my intake filter is sooo jacked up. iuno....im gonna check it out when i have time, but are there any other soltuions?! tanks!

esmith13
01-22-2004, 05:55 AM
What kinda truck was it???

If you wre at WOT that means he was at least NEAR WOT - and that means he could SMOKE THE SHIT OUTTA YOUR 160HP ECONOCAR. (Depending on WHICH truck it was)

Remember most "slower" trucks have WAY more HP and TQ but a heavier load. However, once they get over 30MPH or so the weight they carry is in motion and not as relivant - then it's just a HP/TQ vs HP/TQ race...

Eric