PDA

View Full Version : coilover questions?

kenichi600
09-24-2002, 12:08 PM
sup all,

Don't have an EP yet but waiting for my insurance $$$ cuz my bike got totalled... =(
I'm new to this whole tuner scene but had a few questions in regards to coilovers. Do coilover kits retain the stock shock/strut or replace it or does it depend on which kit you buy? In particular I was looking at the Tein SS kit; I've also heard mixed comments about Tein stuff in regards to rust or lack of rust protection... I'm up here in the NW (Seattle 2b specific) so don't want anything that would rust out after a year or so. Any information provided would be great.

Thanks,
kenichi600

yomamaInMySi
09-24-2002, 12:44 PM
You can get coil overs in two forms, the cheappy way and the some what expensive way. The cheappy way is just springs with an adjustable perch and all of its components, the some what expensive way is what they call the full body coilover, which includes the entire shock, spring seats, springs etc. In my opinion I think the full body coil overs are better than just the springs coil overs. But that's my two cents on this issue. If you lower your car with the springs coil over (the cheappy kind), then more likely you'll ruined your shocks sooner than later, the full body coil over's shock is design for the purpose of lowering your car over two inches. There are alos different variations of the full body coil over, such as ajustable height (obviously since is a coil over), but also the damp or rebound adjustment. You'll probably pay top money for a set of coil overs that gives you both ride height and dampness/rebound ajustability.

greenguy
09-24-2002, 02:42 PM
If your car is just a dailt driver (i.e no racing or serious autoX) then buy some yellow Koni's and your favorite brand of lowering springs and you'll be happy:D.
If your situation is different then yes, a full coilover with all the rebound damping and fiftymillion different adjustments available are your best bet.

yomamaInMySi
09-27-2002, 07:44 AM
Greenguy made a very good point. I think realistically there's people out there with coil overs that almost never adjust the vehicle height because they're too lazy. I know because I'm one of them:D I had coil overs on M3 and adjusted the fing thing once and never again. IMO is a waste of money unless you're doing what green said.

kenichi600
09-27-2002, 11:59 AM
Well I probably won't be doin' much racing w/ it but I'll probably go out to SIR just to see what it can do after each mod..

Thanks for your opinions fellas

SarahVTEC
09-27-2002, 12:12 PM
Go coilover if you can afford it. The ride is much better and quieter as compared to coventional adjustable shock/spring replacement. In regards to rust, ALL suspension is prone to rust unless the manufacturer specifically says it will not rust. Otherwise, you can buy some rust protectant spray to coat them. Last I heard, Tein was in the works of importing rust protection spray. However, Tein offers the Flex coilover system that is TEFLON coated to prevent rust. Bottom line, I prefer coilver systems because you can adjust the ride height EXACTLY where you want it, and there will be NO spring perch noise that you may encounter with products like Ground Control, Skunk2, etc. In addition, most GOOD coilover systems are short-stroked! Simply put, the shock body is shortened to accomodate the lowered ride height. As a result, you virtually get a stock ride feel on a lowered setup. NICE!

yomamaInMySi
09-27-2002, 12:20 PM
Very True. I had a set of coilover(full body) on my M3 made by Sachs, which is the same company that makes OEM equipment for BMW, and the perches on the front and rear rusted over time, even though they were alum. You can do what Sarah suggested and spray them, but you can also put anti-seized silver or copper stuff (I can't rememeber the name) on the perches, and that works just as well.

IMO though (me personally), I don't think people really use coilovers that much, unless they auto cross or they want to change the look of their car. I was too lazy to do it.

The other good point, is the fact that with the full body you get a shock not only specifically design for the car, but for the springs as well load as well.

If you got money and want to do coilover, go with the full body, stay away from GC springs and perches, but GC will make you a coil over if you ask them.

Tekdemon
05-04-2003, 08:41 PM
lol if you have the money get the electronic in-dash coilover adjustment kit for the TEIN coilvers...that way you can adjust it even if you're lazy!

Unless you're so lazy you don't want to push the buttons...in which case you have problems =P