PDA

View Full Version : intake sound ?

red-sir
01-20-2004, 05:34 PM
what is the sound of an short ram intake? considering I have no other mods to my exhaust or mid-pipe...some ppl tells me that it sounds like a muffler under the hood...like...deep bassy sound from the front of the car?....but the sales rep at my local auto parts shop(LORDCO) told me they don't make any sound, maybe just that vacume sound..i'm confused...

SiRman
01-20-2004, 05:42 PM
YO! Check the Canada forum for any Van. area meets.
We just had one.
Good to see more local ephatchers

03SiBlack
01-20-2004, 06:34 PM
i have a injen cold air intake and at higher rpms it gives a nice sound i dont know about the short ram though

02civicSI
01-20-2004, 06:40 PM
i got the k&n typhonn and the sound on that amazed the hell outta me when i first heard it. i had a big grin on my face every time i hit the gas

ep3hatchattack
01-20-2004, 06:52 PM
I have short ram and cold air, and they both sound just about the same..... its a deep throaty sound, not like an exhaust, much better than exhaust. it sounds like a high performance race car when you have Vtec engine.... thanks, dave

r3p00c
01-20-2004, 06:53 PM
it starts out as a pretty bassy tone, but when you get around 4-5k at full throttle it starts to get more raspy on top of the bassy sound.... well, thats at least how my cai is. i'm sure the sri is the same way. awesome sound :) you also get a funky hum at idle...

DavidT
01-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Depending on what intake you have the sound will vary. My short ram intake is very loud, much louder than a AEM or Injen CAI. Mine is so loud you can hear it hum just cruising at freeway speeds. At WOT it sounds fantastic. This is the sound of an intake (It sounds much better in person and is much louder than in ths video but you'll get the idea), right click save target as:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid99/pee0836b302ea574abcd3eb26b1324f14/f9efd9f7.mpg

denmah
01-20-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by red-sir
what is the sound of an short ram intake? considering I have no other mods to my exhaust or mid-pipe...some ppl tells me that it sounds like a muffler under the hood...like...deep bassy sound from the front of the car?....but the sales rep at my local auto parts shop(LORDCO) told me they don't make any sound, maybe just that vacume sound..i'm confused...

My Ebay SRI with hondata, sounds almost the same as stock with hondata (http://www.herrforce.com/misc/hondataep3.wmv)

Vierge99
01-21-2004, 03:39 PM
Just installed an Injen Short Ram intake with heatshield. When idling or cruising around at a mild pace, there is almost no added sound. But above 4500 rpm's this thing screams. It's louder then my Skunk2 Catback. Also, when the car is turned off there is a vaccum release sound for a second. That's about it.

red-sir
01-21-2004, 04:54 PM
hummm...so some of you have bassy...low humming..during idle, some of you hear no differece from stock...my plan is to get just a aem short ram...I quess I'll just have to try it myself....if I invest $200 into it and hear no difference...I'll just kick my own ass...

denmah
01-21-2004, 05:20 PM
hummm...so some of you have bassy...low humming..during idle, some of you hear no differece from stock...my plan is to get just a aem short ram...I quess I'll just have to try it myself....if I invest $200 into it and hear no difference...I'll just kick my own ass...

just get a 20 dollar ebay one, you cant tell me there is any difference.

red-sir
01-21-2004, 05:39 PM
I mean..what model and brand? in Vancouver..an AEM short ram is about $250 Canadian....that's alot of money for "no difference"...sigh

Type X
01-21-2004, 09:54 PM
AEM COLD AIR INTAKE=
Vid 1...First engine start-up after install.
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/r/e/rem204/CSi/EP%20AEM%201.AVI
Vid 2...Ricer fly-by.
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/r/e/rem204/CSi/EP%20AEM%202.AVI
Vid 3...Downshift and take-off.
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/r/e/rem204/CSi/EP%20AEM%203.AVI

k20hatch
01-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Mine goes BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAAA BUUUUUUUUUUUU

denmah
01-22-2004, 09:16 PM
I mean..what model and brand? in Vancouver..an AEM short ram is about $250 Canadian....that's alot of money for "no difference"...sigh

what is different about, an identical 3 inch pipe and a basic cone filter?

is it special metal, space age metal. that adds .0004 hp
is it an even better kn filter than a kn filter?

im not trying to be an asshole but thats like getting a valve for a waterpipe in your house. and there is a 5 dollar copper one on ebay for 2 bucks... and one at the store for 120 brand name. although they are the exact same thing. you cant honestly tell me that a hairpin bend that makes it .005% more effective is worth the additional 230.

Siman
01-23-2004, 10:04 AM
HKS= BIG GRIIIINNNNNN:D :D :D

idrive
01-23-2004, 12:42 PM
i say make your own...

i did... and depending on the angle/placement of the filter sometimes its loud, and sometimes its muffled.

im a strong believer in the shortest pipe possible, if i could put some kind of velocity stack directly on the TB and fit a filter over it, i would.

IIx 03 EP xII
01-23-2004, 01:05 PM
AEM V2 is the way to go... it is LOUD and it is DEEP!!! the best sound i have ever heard in my life... well maybe a few others are better, but when it comes to intakes... this is IT!!

Ph0nK
01-24-2004, 08:15 PM
I got an Ebay SRI, and, like everyone else, you can hear it (even over my magnaflow exhaust) at high RPMS. Also (and I love this), if you hit the gas you can hear a "pop" noise as negative pressure is created in the intake pipe from the throttle plate openning up so quickly.