PDA

View Full Version : Rattle behind the steering wheel....AGHH!!!

BlairSpeed
01-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Im having this very irritating rattle somewhere in my steering colomn behing the steering wheel. It sounds like a piece of plastic vibrating against another piece of plastic. Its only happens while driving on the freeway or over bumpy roads, and its sparatic. It doesnt happen all the time but I cant find out where the sound is comming from and its drivng me CRAZY!!!!

Anyone have this problem and know how to fix it?

Peking
01-21-2004, 01:26 PM
You could take some of the dash apart. Or you could take her in to the dealer.

SF-SI-02
01-21-2004, 01:33 PM
I had a sound for a long time and it sounded like that but only at speeds over 40 mph. It was the mudflap, the plastic bolt poped out (its a POS), though it sounded like it was coming from the steering column... hope this helps

CivicHB
01-21-2004, 01:45 PM
It is the clear plastic cover over the gauge cluster, it is not set in tight. So its loose and rattles at the top, the clear part taps against the top of the dash housing for the cluster.

r3p00c
01-21-2004, 02:34 PM
hey, i had the same thing... a rattle in the steering wheel area that would be noticeable over bumps. you could also bump the steering wheel from underneath while not driving, and hear it. i took it to honda and it ended up being a loose clip holding the airbag in place. i'd take it in to have them look at it next time you're in for some service... most likely its the same thing and they'll be able to take care of it no problem.

BlairSpeed
01-21-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by CivicHB
It is the clear plastic cover over the gauge cluster, it is not set in tight. So its loose and rattles at the top, the clear part taps against the top of the dash housing for the cluster.

hmm, ill have to take a look at it, thanks CivicHB. I usually forget about the rattle til i start driving and by then its hard to pin point the rattle.

BlairSpeed
01-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by r3p00c
hey, i had the same thing... a rattle in the steering wheel area that would be noticeable over bumps. you could also bump the steering wheel from underneath while not driving, and hear it. i took it to honda and it ended up being a loose clip holding the airbag in place. i'd take it in to have them look at it next time you're in for some service... most likely its the same thing and they'll be able to take care of it no problem.

That sounds like it. A loose air bag clip cant be a good thing, especially if your in an accident. Thanks for all your help guys :cool:

Spidey
01-21-2004, 03:03 PM
my dash rattles in general and it's very annoying.
why can't there be bolts that we can tighten to stop the noise!

stockblack'03
02-17-2004, 07:06 PM
I have that annoying buzzing/rattling sound in my steering column too, but it seems to go away once the car warms up. Overall, it doesn't bother me too much.

prracer617
02-18-2004, 12:43 AM
i getthe same thing in my column but its like a sqeaking plastic on plastic noise like when something needs grease ..if i leave the wheel loose and jsut give it gas it makes liek a sqeaking noise ...i noticed on bump and cold days it gets louder

prracer617
02-18-2004, 12:44 AM
i went to the dealer twice about it and they treat m like im hearing things!!!

sonic imperial
02-18-2004, 07:31 AM
Man I have more rattles, pops, and buzzes than any new car I've ever owned (this is my 3rd). At 30k miles, it sounds like the whole car is falling apart.

prracer617
02-18-2004, 07:36 AM
i got 22k on mines