PDA

View Full Version : Atttn: People who think removing the shifter console is easy!

icegrill
01-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Where is the correct place to start pulling when removing the shifter console? I started on the lower right corner right per (neuspeed instructions) but had a hard time with the upper right corner it wouldn't pop out very easily. I got a skunk2 knob and ctr boot and don't want to damage the console removing it again. Please post let me know or better yet post a pic of how you start to remove it? civicvtecps1 maybe Thanks

andy
01-21-2004, 01:16 PM
I had trouble with mine. Even bent it a tad. It seemed like if
you pulled evenly on the left and right parts of the console (by
grabbing the area where the boot meets the console), that helped,
some. I used the k-series.com instructions, but I don't know that
they would be better than your Neuspeed ones. Good luck...

oogy-boogy
01-21-2004, 01:39 PM
Take your pointer and middle fingers on both hands and get them up under and in there. Use them for some leverage and slowly push up with your tips of your fingers. THe top right and left corners will pop out first so that you don't have to worry about any bends.

Good luck!
:D

icegrill
01-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys, so oggy you pulled from the top of inside the shift boot? That makes sense. I was going in from the bottom the first time.

03silverEP
01-21-2004, 04:45 PM
HOW TO TAKE OFF THE SHIFTER CONSOLE (sorry about the caps, but don't break you stuff....)

step 1: use a small flathead screwdriver to pop out the blank where the lighter is

step 2: insert thumb and pull hard

no bent or broken console, worst case is you dent the lighter plug a little, but not the dash piece

03silverEP
01-21-2004, 04:47 PM
HOW TO REMOVE THE CONSOLE (sorry about the caps, don't break your car)

step 1: use a small flat screwdriver to pop out the lighter blank on right side of shifter

step 2: insert thumb and pull hard

no broken or bent dash pieces

03silverEP
01-21-2004, 04:48 PM
didn't mean to post twice, comp. said it didn't go thru....got the error screen

oogy-boogy
01-22-2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by icegrill
Thanks guys, so oggy you pulled from the top of inside the shift boot? That makes sense. I was going in from the bottom the first time.

Yes sir.....just try to get your fingers as close to the corners to keep them from getting that little bend mark.

Haven't tried that second method yet so I can't really say.

Rueda del Queso
01-22-2004, 10:13 AM
If you have a thinnish flathead screwdriver you can insert that in the top left or right corner, after you have pulled the bottom out, and gently pry. If you have a lot of resistance try switching from the top of the corner to the side of the corner, or vice versa. I can't remember which of those two did it, but it worked very smoothly when it did.

fishboy
01-22-2004, 02:17 PM
i go through the boot. you guys just have to work out alittle. :D